Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request. [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 11:44
I am 34 years old, I am from Argentina. Currently I am leaving in New York with my girlfriend, she is american and we are getting engage in the next months, hopefully. I have a little bit more than 15 years of working experience including, multinational companies, medium size companies, small companies, family business, my own business (created and sold, twice), etc.
At the beginning of this journey my only concern was to get into one top 10/15 b-school, not so sure why though, maybe because my friends did it, maybe because the branding and the prestigious, but somehow in between my mind made a click and I realized that I don't need to enter a top 10 b-school to fulfill my dream and my ultimate goal that is to create my own company in Europe or US. Certainly after my disappointing second attempt on the GMAT scoring 550 (V27 Q39) my chances narrowed down to a minimum. To make the long story, short, what I am looking for now is: one year MBA programs in the US Northeast Coast or West Coast, France, UK and Spain in which are focused on entrepreneurship. I don't want to take the GMAT again. I am done with that part of the process. My questions then are:
-should I apply to any top 10 school anyway?
-should I apply to any US b-school on 3rd or 4th round at all?
-should I only focus on the Europe b-schools, that are more flexible and with an older age average?
-which are the b-schools mainly focus on entrepreneurship and in which my profile would fit in more accordingly?
I would really appreciate any help on these regards.
Best
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request. [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 12:01
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your background. Here's my quick evaluation of your profile:

Your professional experience sounds incredible. Founding and selling two companies is very impressive and says a lot about your leadership and business acumen. Sounds like you've also worked in large MNCs, etc. So, you'll have lots of great professional stories to draw upon.

Your academic profile is weak based on what I know. Quite a low GMAT score (sorry the test didn't go so well!) and I'm not sure about your undergrad GPA?

Not clear on your extracurricular and community activities - if you don't have any, this will be a disadvantage. Although, it is understandable that an entrepreneur wouldn't have time for these activities, and you might be given some leeway.

Things to consider:

1. You are definitely on the older side in terms of age/experience level. Have you considered an executive or part-time MBA?
2. You have already successfully started and sold your own businesses. Do you really need an MBA in order to do it again? You'll need to make a very compelling case as to how the degree will help you succeed in your goals, given that you've already succeeded in this goal twice before.
3. As you already know, your low GMAT will be an issue :(

To answer your questions:

1. It depends on you. I'd say that given the strength of your entrepreneurial experience, you might have a shot despite your low GMAT. However, I wouldn't apply to more than one or two top programs as they will be long shots.

2. Again, this is up to you. Given that your age is only going up, it might not hurt to submit a few applications in R3/R4 and see what happens. Can't really hurt, right?

3. This will be a personal decision, but I don't think you have to limit yourself to European programs. Some schools care less about age than others, so just be aware of which programs are more accepting of older candidates as you narrow your list down.

4. Some programs focused on entrepreneurship include: Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, MIT, Chicago, Tepper, Babson, Imperial College, IE, Texas McCombs. HBS turns out a lot of successful entrepreneurs, as well.

I highly recommend you apply to Babson - they are not as competitive in terms of GMAT score, but have a very strong entrepreneurship program. Hope this is helpful information.

Best,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download [url=http:// http://info.mbamission.com/MBA-Personal-Statement-Guide/]mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide[/url]

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter