Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HBS Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE: Other (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 25

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 06:02
was interested in thoughts on my profile because I have a bit of a odd background. I applied to a couple schools for fall 2012 admission. Received interviews at Duke and Darden but was rejected from both. With some more work experience (I had no full time first time around) I would like some thoughts on whether it is realistic to be aiming at top tier schools.

28 white US male.

1) 29 months at matriculation (fall 2014). Cofounded an educational start up currently around $3mil rev and 100 employees. Company selected and participated in Y-Combinator (summer 2012 batch). VP of academic affairs working with local colleges to provide services to their students. Some investor fundraising.

2) GMAT 760 - 99% verbal, 82% quant, 6 AWA

3) Undergrad - small liberal arts school (Lake Forest College) 3.7 (3.9 major) GPA in economics. Cum Laude. Graduated 2007
Grad School - MA economics 3.7 GPA from University of Florida

4) captain of college swim team. 3 years academic all conference. Numerous volunteer/fundraising positions concerning cancer awareness. Volunteer work at local animal shelter. Spent a great deal of time as a swim coach for local club teams as head age group coach.

5) N/A

6) as mentioned top 10 is where my sights are currently. Looking specifically at Stanford due to geography (want to return to the west where I grew up) and due to its strength in non profits. Also Kellogg and Harvard would be high on the list (obviously who doesn't have them high on their list).

7) R1 for entry fall of 2014

8) would be interested in returning to consulting (interned throughout undergrad) and eventually leverage some of the analytical skills learned in the econ grad program as well as entrepreneur experience with current start up to potentially start a boutique consulting firm. Also some interest in non profits.

9) Mother passed away from breast cancer in 2007 and that has shaped my interest in cancer awareness and thoughts concerning looking into nonprofit side.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You have some amazing numbers there, so I have to say I'm a bit dumbfounded myself. And without seeing your actual recs and essays and chatting with you, it's hard for me to say what went wrong... cause from the looks of things here, I would say you were a sure bet.
My three possible thoughts are:
1. Maybe you set your sights too low?
2. Maybe your application was weak?
3. Maybe you messed up your interview?
(or perhaps some sort of combination of the above)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

HBS Thread Master

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 13:27
JonAdmissionado wrote:
You have some amazing numbers there, so I have to say I'm a bit dumbfounded myself. And without seeing your actual recs and essays and chatting with you, it's hard for me to say what went wrong... cause from the looks of things here, I would say you were a sure bet.
My three possible thoughts are:
1. Maybe you set your sights too low?
2. Maybe your application was weak?
3. Maybe you messed up your interview?
(or perhaps some sort of combination of the above)

Thanks for the reply Jon. Yea I felt like the interview at Darden was a bust but felt really good about Duke. Ha, I really wanted to think that it was the lack of any full time work experience hurting me, but seems like I probably need to get polishing on the applications as well. Recs were obviously a problem with the lack of full time experience as well. Oh well thanks for the insight, really appreciate it! Hoping for better results this time around
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 04:54
Expert's post
Well, with those numbers, and enough distance for you to get a second look at what you did, you should be off to a very good start. I'd also suggest having someone (a friend or professional) run through your application package and try and identify weak points.

Witha bit of perseverance, you will make it!

Last parting piece of advice: apply to more schools next time
:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

HBS Thread Master

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 19:47
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Well, with those numbers, and enough distance for you to get a second look at what you did, you should be off to a very good start. I'd also suggest having someone (a friend or professional) run through your application package and try and identify weak points.

Witha bit of perseverance, you will make it!

Last parting piece of advice: apply to more schools next time
:)

Thanks again! Looking forward to applying