Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Where am I going wrong??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation: Where am I going wrong?? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 07:21
Hi

I am in dire need of advice. A very bright student in school and college, I decided in the fourth year of my college that I want to do MBA. I gave my CAT and got 93 percentile. Though I could have applied for MBA colleges in India but I was aspiring for IIM's. I joined an IT company and again gave CAT. This time i got a percentile of 95. I got an interview from IIM Indore but was not shortlisted. At that time I was having 2 yrs of experience in hand. I decided to give GMAT. I gave my first GMAT in April 2011 and got a score of 640. I again gathered my strength and gave it a second time in December. This time I got a score of 690 which is a pretty decent score. I applied in the below colleges:
1)Duke fuqua(2nd round)
2)Texas -Mays(2 nd round)
3)NUS (first round)

I received not invited from all the three :cry:

I got really disheartened. I want to know where I went wrong . Should have I applied in first round ? Did I apply to wrong colleges? I want to do MBA but my pursuit is giving me hard time . Now I have three choices:

Choice 1:

Again give GMAT to get a higher score : Though it would be risky but I am ready to put more hard work. But is it worth ??

Choice 2:

I am currently a software engineer working in an IT company as a Senior system Engineer. I am performing a role of Team Lead.
I am thinking of changing my job . So in this case which profile I should apply for which will help me in MBA profile build up too?

Choice 3: I apply for Spring Admissions.
Seriously I am tired of looking for colleges on NET . Could you suggest me in which colleges I can apply?
My profile:

GPA:3.9
GMAT:690
Quant: 48
Verbal :35
AWA:4.5
Experience :2.8 years in IT.

Please let me know the answer for my questions and suggest me so that I am able to take decision.
For me MBA is my current priority.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: Where am I going wrong?? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
To be honest, I think it's a combination of applying to schools that were simply out of reach for you (Duke or any top 16 school), and your communication skills based on what I've read in your post (you should've been competitive for Mays and NUS).

Simply put, I think there's three things going against you. First, you're up against more than enough Indian engineers/IT guys who are already working/living full-time in the US or Europe, and these folks have a much bigger advantage compared to you (their experience gives more comfort to adcoms and post-MBA recruiters alike that they can fit in with far less culture shock compared to you). Secondly, I really think you need to find a way to improve your communication skills (at least your writing skills, based on your post). I get a sense that you don't have a lot of experience interacting with people outside of India, and my hunch is that adcoms probably also picked up on that. In short, they were likely concerned about your ability to adjust to a new culture, especially when they have plenty of other Indian guys to choose from who may not have the same hurdles as you. And finally, you're simply not as experienced as most engineers/IT folks who apply to school (most have around 4-6 years).

What I suggest is to find whatever which way you can to work abroad, even if it's temporarily on assignment with your company (if possible). Or to find a way to work full-time. This may seem like an intermediate step that you'll dread, but one of the most common ways for many Indian engineers like yourself to get exposure to the US is to apply to MS in engineering programs in the US (which may be easier for you to get admissions compared to b-schools), and then working in a technical role for a few years after that in the US before applying. That does put your b-school plans further out, but in the longer-term it may be worth it if you're looking to establish a career outside of India. An alternative to that would be to simply get a b-school degree locally in India, and work your way into an expatriate role post-MBA (i.e. joining an international firm right out of school).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: Where am I going wrong?? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 11:40
Hey

Thanks for the suggestions :-D .

Regarding writing skills, I would like to say that while writing the post I was not concentrating on the grammar part. I was just typing what was coming in my head. Also regarding the communication skills - in my job I have to interact with clients in US. So I think there is no problem at the interaction front. I assume that lack of experience is the main reason for rejection and I should not target top B-Schools.

Could you suggest me the schools in which I can apply for spring?

Thanks in advance.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation: Where am I going wrong?? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 02:08
Hi vartikavats,

I couldn't help chipping in here, because I follow Alex's posts and I found this one to be a bit more interesting from a feedback perspective. From the way you've writen here, to me it seems obvious that you're writing the "Indian" style of English. I can spot it better than Alex (assuming that Alex doesn't know languages such as Hindi) because your grammar syntax/vocabulary is resembling the Indian languages - e.g. - "what was coming in my head", in my opinion, perhaps it would be more appropriate to say "what I could think of". This prompts me to think that perhaps you'd do well to do some self-evaluation and also seek opinion of your peers, colleagues etc. regarding how well you can speak/write (think of vocabulary, fluency, grammar etc.). Just remember that English in the US and the UK is of higher standards at the Graduate courses and as such, you'll be competing against people who can boast of excellent fluency in English.

Other than that, it is not easy for anyone to opine very accurately on your communication skills based on whatever you've posted here (that isn't enough data, to tell you the truth). Finally, I believe whatever Alex has suggested seems to be very practical, and if you could follow his advice, I believe you can reach your goals.

Best,
Subhash

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation: Where am I going wrong?? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 05:51
Just found these old threads to illustrate my point further :)

a-question-for-you-indians-and-asians-38757.html?fl=similar

a-question-for-indians-50607.html?fl=similar

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile Evaluation: Where am I going wrong??   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2012, 05:51