Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: 1460 Q790 V670
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile help! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 15:37
Hello!

I am 31 years old male working as a software engineer. I intend to apply for UT Austin, UT Dallas and Columbia Business school next year. I would like your opinion on it. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

Education - Graduated in May 2009 with BS in Computer Science from a small university in Oklahoma with a GPA of 3.97. My Minor was Mathematics, GPA- 3.97. I Won various awards/scholarships for outstanding performance in both CS and Mathematics.

GRE: 1460 (Took in October, 2008)

Work Experience - Over 3 years of work experience as a software engineer

I served as a president of Mathematics club. I was also heavily involved with political science department and attended a United Nations conference which took place in UN headquarter in New York. I also attended a similar conference in St. Luis

So folks, what do you think? Any shot at UT Austin or Columbia. Thank you in advance!!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 07:05
Expert's post
Hi there,

I'm not going to bore you with a long explanation (although if you'd like one, I'm more than happy to provide it!). The short of it is you have a good shot at UT Austin (given you age, background, experience, etc.) with Columbia being a significant stretch school. This is simply due to the incoming demographic breakdown at Columbia and the emphasis they place on certain backgrounds versus others.

I know that's a really short response but I figured I'd just cut to the chase!

If you have any specific questions or want to chat about it, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 655 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 07:13
That is a weird short list.... One M7, One Top 20and one not even in the top 50...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 07:22
Expert's post
MacFauz wrote:
That is a weird short list.... One M7, One Top 20and one not even in the top 50...

Usually lists like these mean OP is from Texas/currently lives there and would only leave for his dream school of CBS. As others have said, you have good chances at the UTs but CBS will be more competitive. I'd encourage you to consider 1-2 additional schools as well, perhaps something with strong recruiting in the south if that's where you want to be...Duke, Emory, WashU, or even something in Chicago. Just a thought.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 07:46
aerien wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Usually lists like these mean OP is from Texas/currently lives there and would only leave for his dream school of CBS. As others have said, you have good chances at the UTs but CBS will be more competitive. I'd encourage you to consider 1-2 additional schools as well, perhaps something with strong recruiting in the south if that's where you want to be...Duke, Emory, WashU, or even something in Chicago. Just a thought.

Ohh.. That context does give that list more meaning.. But still, I do think he is skipping a whole range of schools.. Right out the top of my mind.. Jones, Mays & Cox....

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 08:53
Thank you for response everyone!!

aerien wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

I don't mind going to school at other top schools. The reason I chose UT Austin and Columbia is because my GRE score is expiring on October 27th. UT Austin and Columbia will still accept my score as their requirement is that score should be valid on the day of application submission. So as long as I submit the application before, October 27th, I will be fine. Where as many other schools will only accept my score, if the score was valid on the application deadline. What other top 20 schools do I have shot at? I wouldn't mind applying there. Thanks!!

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 09:28
Haha... You are looking for where to invest close to $200,000 based on your GRE expiry date?? You can take advantage of the various admission consultants on this forum... You could post your profile on on the various sub forums and they would be able to give you a much better picture...

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 10:05
MacFauz wrote:
Haha... You are looking for where to invest close to $200,000 based on your GRE expiry date?? You can take advantage of the various admission consultants on this forum... You could post your profile on on the various sub forums and they would be able to give you a much better picture...

I think GRE is an important part of my application considering my undergrad university is really small. Also, I don't want to retake the exam as I am not sure if I will be able to score that high again. That's why I want to use my current score.
Expert Post

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 11:00
Expert's post
Hi there,

I didn't realize that was the reasoning behind the list. I also assumed you were from Texas and would only leave for CBS like @aerien mentioned. However, if your only reason behind selecting the programs you have chosen is your GRE date, I strongly advise you to reconsider.

I would be happy to help you discuss some school options that might align but without knowing what your short/long term goals are and the "why MBA" component, I won't pretend to throw some options now.

School selection is a discussion for when you have a thorough understanding of where you've been and where you're headed. We don't do school selection with our clients until we've held an extensive assessment.

The first step I would recommend is to schedule a GMAT for as soon as possible and begin to prepare.

If you would like to chat about this, please don't hesitate to reach out via either a PM or using the links below. I think there's a lot of due diligence left to be done here.

Cheers,

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Expert Post

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 11:06
Expert's post
Hi - sorry, you posted a response as I was typing my response so let me add another post replying to it.

1) Your GRE or GMAT score is unaffiliated to your undergraduate institution. A large or small program doesn't matter. While you are correct that a good score does showcase your skills where a small undergrad school might not, they take all of it into account.

2) If you are worried about scoring that high again, there is really one solution. Prepare. You're clearly a smart guy in a challenging field and you've done well once already. I don't doubt that you'll succeed in this again. However, I strongly urge you to consider the fact that if you keep this score and choose not retake the exam, you're limiting yourself to two programs in a country filled with options that might be far more right for you.

I know this isn't the advice you're looking for but it's what I would tell any of my clients. It's the right thing to tell you - and I hope you take a day or two to really think this through.

Good luck!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 11:32
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hi - sorry, you posted a response as I was typing my response so let me add another post replying to it.

1) Your GRE or GMAT score is unaffiliated to your undergraduate institution. A large or small program doesn't matter. While you are correct that a good score does showcase your skills where a small undergrad school might not, they take all of it into account.

2) If you are worried about scoring that high again, there is really one solution. Prepare. You're clearly a smart guy in a challenging field and you've done well once already. I don't doubt that you'll succeed in this again. However, I strongly urge you to consider the fact that if you keep this score and choose not retake the exam, you're limiting yourself to two programs in a country filled with options that might be far more right for you.

I know this isn't the advice you're looking for but it's what I would tell any of my clients. It's the right thing to tell you - and I hope you take a day or two to really think this through.

Good luck!

Bhavik

Thank you for your advise! To be honest, if I can get accepted in UT Austin, I would be really happy. Their MBA program is really good and Austin is a place where I will love to settle down. I will apply to UT Austin this September with the score I have. But I will also study for GRE and take it sometimes later this year. So in case if I don't get accepted to UT Austin. I can apply somewhere else.
Expert Post

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 11:44
Expert's post
UT Austin really is a great program and that city is one of my favorite in the states. If you have any questions as you go through the process don't hesitate to reach out!

Best of luck!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile help! [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 12:06
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
UT Austin really is a great program and that city is one of my favorite in the states. If you have any questions as you go through the process don't hesitate to reach out!

Best of luck!

Bhavik

Thank you Bhavil! I am sure I will have a lot of questions! Your insight into the process will e really helpful!
Re: Profile help!   [#permalink] 24 May 2013, 12:06