Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PS - Strings

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 11:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A Necklace is made by stringing N individual beads together in the repeating pattern red bead, green bead, white bead, blue bead, and yellow bead. If the necklace design begins with a red bead and ends with a white bead, then N could equal

A) 16
B) 32
C) 41
D) 54
E) 68

Please give explaination to the answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 11:24
My answer is E) 68

I just played with the numbers to get this answer. I would be interested in a formula that is easier though.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 11:25
is the answer D-68. i don't think there is a way of solving this. you have to check every answer.

there are 5 different color of beads , so 13 times these beads can be repeated in order. that gives 13*5=65, the remaining 3 will be red, green and the last will be white bead.

hope i have explained it well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 11:53
68 for me as well.

pattern is 5 beads long, if it starts on red and ends on white, then it must be 5x+3 so if x is odd then we have a 8, even, then we have a 3....68 is the only matching choice
Intern
Intern

Re: PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 12:09
sprtng wrote:
68 for me as well.

pattern is 5 beads long, if it starts on red and ends on white, then it must be 5x+3 so if x is odd then we have a 8, even, then we have a 3....68 is the only matching choice

sprtgn: Can you explain in detail how it is 5x+3

OA: E) 68
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 12:11
E.

The answer must be a number that ends in 3 or 8.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
pn wrote:
sprtng wrote:
68 for me as well.

sprtgn: Can you explain in detail how it is 5x+3

OA: E) 68

because it says that "If the necklace design begins with a red bead and ends with a white bead" red is the first bead in the pattern, and white is the third bead.

(for short, red bead (r), green bead(g), white bead(w), blue bead(b), and yellow bead(y)
so for example, the design could be: r g w b y r g w = starts with red, ends with white, in this design, it has completed the pattern (r ~ y) once, which contains 5 beads, then the extra unfinished pattern which starts with read ends with w gives us 3.

so lets say...the design could be the pattern repeated 6 times ( 30 beads) before it stopped, because the design can't stop on a yellow, which is the last of the pattern, then it has to go on until it reaches white, which is that extra 3 beads, then we have 5*6 + 3...and so forth....which gives us 5 * x (however many times the pattern has repeated, could also be zero), and that extra 3 bead in order to get to white bead (read, green, white) to finish the design off. ... a little messy, let me know if it's still unclear!
Intern
Intern

Re: PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 12:39
sprtng wrote:
because it says that "If the necklace design begins with a red bead and ends with a white bead" red is the first bead in the pattern, and white is the third bead.

(for short, red bead (r), green bead(g), white bead(w), blue bead(b), and yellow bead(y)
so for example, the design could be: r g w b y r g w = starts with red, ends with white, in this design, it has completed the pattern (r ~ y) once, which contains 5 beads, then the extra unfinished pattern which starts with read ends with w gives us 3.

so lets say...the design could be the pattern repeated 6 times ( 30 beads) before it stopped, because the design can't stop on a yellow, which is the last of the pattern, then it has to go on until it reaches white, which is that extra 3 beads, then we have 5*6 + 3...and so forth....which gives us 5 * x (however many times the pattern has repeated, could also be zero), and that extra 3 bead in order to get to white bead (read, green, white) to finish the design off. ... a little messy, let me know if it's still unclear!

Thanks sprtng, its clear now :-D
Thanks Everyone
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: PS - Strings [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 12:45
E

68 is the only multiple of 5 +3
Re: PS - Strings   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2009, 12:45