Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 02:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question about JD/MBA Applications

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Question about JD/MBA Applications [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 07:06
Hi I am debating on whether to apply to JD/MBA programs or just MBA programs. I do not plan on practicing law after graduation, but since law in such a big part of most businesses, then I believe that having some legal knowledge would help me in my business career.

My question is that if I apply to JD/MBA programs, and hypothetically would otherwise be admitted to the MBA program but not the JD program if I applied separately, would I have a legitimate chance of being admitted to the MBA program but not the JD/MBA program?

Or stated in another way, would business schools and law schools consider my applications separately when I apply to JD/MBA programs, or do those schools consider the application jointly and the only two possibilities are dual-degree-admit or deny in the application process?

Thanks!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Question about JD/MBA Applications [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 18:04
I considered this as well, schools will evaluate the applications separately; i.e. all the top schools will require you to be admitted separately into both JD(law school) and MBA program (business school) respectively, so if you do get into both programs you can join the "joint degree tract" otherwise you can pursue one or the other depending on acceptance, it's a pain in the neck and probably more work than one could ever imagine once enrolled but well worth it post 4 years of torture
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Question about JD/MBA Applications [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 19:23
Expert's post
If your interest is only to have a general understanding of law, a JD would be a waste of your time and money. Most universities will allow you to classes in other schools. You get the benefit of pick and choose the ones you are interested in, and skip civil procedure.

Other than that, I think there may be a slight advance to applying JD/MBA. I would imagine if you are on the border for one, and got admitted to the other, they will more likely to admit you off the waitlist than a single degree applicant.

Diversity

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 3

Re: Question about JD/MBA Applications [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 19:29
This post received
KUDOS
Hey OP- is there a post-JD/MBA career that you are targeting that specifically values the joint degree? I only ask because the extra year or two (depending on the program) represents a pretty significant opportunity cost. Also, you may want to chat with some JD/MBA alumni about this, but it's my understanding that the legal knowledge you covet comes primarily from practicing law and not just studying law in school.

Earlier on in my MBA journey, I was enamored by the idea of getting two degrees. However, as I did more research and had a better idea of what my post-MBA goals were, I realized the joint degree didn't make sense for my situation. I believe joint JD/MBA programs represent a smaller (and perhaps more appropriate) opportunity cost for those who plan to practice law, but also want to have a solid business foundation.

One JD/MBA program that appears to be very well-integrated is Northwestern's three-year program. There's a single application for the program and you're only required to submit GMAT scores. Check out their employment statistics to see where their graduates are headed and if you can get the jobs you're interested in with just an MBA.

BigBrownFox wrote:
Hi I am debating on whether to apply to JD/MBA programs or just MBA programs. I do not plan on practicing law after graduation, but since law in such a big part of most businesses, then I believe that having some legal knowledge would help me in my business career.

My question is that if I apply to JD/MBA programs, and hypothetically would otherwise be admitted to the MBA program but not the JD program if I applied separately, would I have a legitimate chance of being admitted to the MBA program but not the JD/MBA program?

Or stated in another way, would business schools and law schools consider my applications separately when I apply to JD/MBA programs, or do those schools consider the application jointly and the only two possibilities are dual-degree-admit or deny in the application process?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Question about JD/MBA Applications [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 20:30
swbluedevil wrote:
Hey OP- is there a post-JD/MBA career that you are targeting that specifically values the joint degree? I only ask because the extra year or two (depending on the program) represents a pretty significant opportunity cost. Also, you may want to chat with some JD/MBA alumni about this, but it's my understanding that the legal knowledge you covet comes primarily from practicing law and not just studying law in school.

Earlier on in my MBA journey, I was enamored by the idea of getting two degrees. However, as I did more research and had a better idea of what my post-MBA goals were, I realized the joint degree didn't make sense for my situation. I believe joint JD/MBA programs represent a smaller (and perhaps more appropriate) opportunity cost for those who plan to practice law, but also want to have a solid business foundation.

One JD/MBA program that appears to be very well-integrated is Northwestern's three-year program. There's a single application for the program and you're only required to submit GMAT scores. Check out their employment statistics to see where their graduates are headed and if you can get the jobs you're interested in with just an MBA.

Yep I agree, and the only JD/MBA programs that I would be interested in are 3 year programs, which most top schools have shifted to. So the opportunity cost vs just getting an MBA is lost pay and tuition for one year at 3 year programs, which while large, isn't deal-breaking for me.

I'm targeting associate-level finance positions or corporate finance jobs after graduation, so don't expect the JD to be of too much value when looking for jobs right out of school, but I heard that it may come in handy later down the line when I may be trying to advance up a corporate ladder, may be considering running for politics, or may go entrepreneurial, etc.
Intern
Intern

Re: Question about JD/MBA Applications [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 20:39
worthyiiv wrote:
i.e. all the top schools will require you to be admitted separately into both JD(law school) and MBA program (business school) respectively

True, but most top schools also state that there is an amount of cross-dialogue between b school and l school admissions for JD/MBA applicants, so I'm not sure if they will ever or often decide to admit an applicant to one school but not the other.

Also as I mentioned above, most top schools (Chicago being a notable exception), have switched to 3 year accelerated JD/MBA programs.

Quote:
If your interest is only to have a general understanding of law, a JD would be a waste of your time and money. Most universities will allow you to classes in other schools. You get the benefit of pick and choose the ones you are interested in, and skip civil procedure.

Other than that, I think there may be a slight advance to applying JD/MBA. I would imagine if you are on the border for one, and got admitted to the other, they will more likely to admit you off the waitlist than a single degree applicant.

True, but I've also heard that the extra JD provides an extra (even if tiny in many scenarios) boost, because it provides an extra qualification to the candidate, to most hiring and promotion processes for the entirety of the candidate's career. So maybe while the ROI for the extra JD is low in many cases in the short term after graduation, I've heard that the extra JD often shows its value over the long term.
Re: Question about JD/MBA Applications   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2013, 20:39