Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Questions on Sackmann's Math Book

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 483 [2] , given: 432

Premium Member
Questions on Sackmann's Math Book [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A few days ago, I posted my concerns with a GMAT math guide: Jeff Sackmann's Total GMAT Math. Here's my second try at it.

After reading some positive reviews, I decided to purchase the book. Although my expectations were high for this product, I certainly realized that a good score would mainly come from hard work, consistency, and determination - things that no book can provide.

After a few chapters, something felt off. The book does cover a great deal of topics, but the amount of space devoted to each section is miniscule - 1.5 to 3 pages at most. The rest is spent on questions. This would normally be fine, but it seems that the book doesn't cover the material sufficiently for readers to answer the end-of-chapter questions. I have dealt with and looked at other math guides, and they don't seem to share this characteristic.

Is my approach to this book wrong? I'm concerned that, even after reviewing the answers, I will only be able to answer these particular questions and not different ones because I lack the necessary math skills and concepts.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be VERY grateful.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Questions on Sackmann's Math Book [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 13:19
Expert's post
In case anyone would like some more background information, please refer to this post:

how-i-upgraded-my-700-to-a-770-q50-v44-82149-20.html#p637416

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Questions on Sackmann's Math Book [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 16:22
Touch base with Calicpa as he recently purchased some of Jeff Sackmann's products.

question-about-jeff-sackmann-sets-84971.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Questions on Sackmann's Math Book [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 21:06
I haven't had a chance to go through them yet, but it seems pretty tough. The Extreme set seems to be useless for test takers unless you are at a 46+ level to begin with. I didnt get the GMAT Math Book from Jeff, but I would say that going through the MGMAT books, taking the tests, and then using the tests to review the sections you dont understand, should get you to a 700 level. I took a MGMAT test yesterday, and scored a 690. I went back through the questions I got wrong in math, and then went back through that chapter, and did end-of chapter questions for that section to verify that I know the material. To get above 700, I think one needs a little more. I think that is where the GMAT Club and Extreme set come into play. These resources truly teach you to think outside the box.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: Questions on Sackmann's Math Book [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 09:58
Expert's post
Thanks CaliCpa.

I'm using Number Properties right now. It's quite good, although a little basic. Still, this is probably the foundation I need for quant. I've decided to stop studying Total GMAT math.

And does anyone know a good statistics/probability book for GMAT preparation.? One of the few books mentioned is Project GMAT, but that is too hard to find (at a reasonable price) and probably overkill.

Thanks again!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 6

Re: Questions on Sackmann's Math Book [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 10:19
I bought the Extreme Challenge and the Data Sufficiency Challenge and studied them both in between my first and second attempts. In my opinion, they are good for extra practice questions, but they didn't increase my score. My first attempt: Q49. My second attempt: Q49.

I guess the main benefit for me was just to have some more questions to practice from and keep my skills sharp. I do think one benefit of these challenges is they are closer to GMAT style questions than MGMAT. Also, the explanations are very good. I don't remember the prices he was charging, but if his whole set is over several hundred dollars, I would only purchase a few of his sets and spend the rest elsewhere.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: Questions on Sackmann's Math Book [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 18:05
Expert's post
He offers 1,800 questions for $250. The difficulty ranges from easy to very difficult (700+). I will pass on these questions and just use GMAT Club's stuff when the time is right.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Do you know anything about these people [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 11:55
Hi surfing today I just found these books

Do you know anything about them?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Do you know anything about these people [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 13:11
I think a lot of people here use the GMAT Hacks challenge sets. I am using Total GMAT Math and getting a lot out of it.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: Questions on Sackmann's Math Book [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 12:42
Expert's post
Glad to hear that the book works for you, anshey. For me, however, the book's approach didn't suit my tastes. I'll come back to it a little later, maybe.

Overall, the Extreme Challenges receive fairly positive reviews.

Re: Questions on Sackmann's Math Book   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2009, 12:42