Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reading speed & verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reading speed & verbal [#permalink] New post 30 May 2003, 11:33
I am having hard time finishing the verbal section because of long passages ( at least from my experince from Kaplan). I think one of the factor being my reading speed. Although I am aware that Kaplan tests are little tougher in general.
Are you facing same problem? Any tips on improving reading speed? Any Comments??
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7765 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reading speed & verbal [#permalink] New post 30 May 2003, 21:18
Expert's post
schaudha wrote:
I am having hard time finishing the verbal section because of long passages ( at least from my experince from Kaplan). I think one of the factor being my reading speed. Although I am aware that Kaplan tests are little tougher in general.
Are you facing same problem? Any tips on improving reading speed? Any Comments??

:roll: I had problems with staying focused and rememberign things; speed of reading was not the problem; it was the speed of sucking it in.

If you read slowly, you have to practice - even if you get a passing score and get admitted, you still want to read adequatly. What about those 100's of pages?

I'd just read; boring but hey....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Reading speed & verbal [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2003, 16:52
My reading speed is about 225-240 wpm. But I have to read the passage at least twice to answer questions accurately. I can't finish verbal section without leaving 1-2 passages unanswered (I mean randomly answered).
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7765 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reading speed & verbal [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2003, 14:29
Expert's post
schaudha wrote:
My reading speed is about 225-240 wpm. But I have to read the passage at least twice to answer questions accurately. I can't finish verbal section without leaving 1-2 passages unanswered (I mean randomly answered).

basically it is not reading speed but staying foucused. Reading once is all I could do. Instead I tried to read attentivel and stop. I even took notes that I never referred to later, but I still took them because I remembered more this way. (I am talking about RC only).

reading twice has some disadvantages:
It is illustrated by the following analogy, which fails fairly soon, but i think is quite good:
Would you rather be married twice to two average women, or once to a good one?

This is what I mean - reading well once is better than skimming twice since you probably skim the same parts.

My problem was actually my mind lagging behind my reading speed - I could not absorb information fast enough to be able to answer questions accurately. THat's why I would stop after each paragraph and sum up what was said and what was going on. I would try to understand processes if any were mentioned or would immediately try to compare/contrast the ideas rather than waiting for the question to ask me do it.

What tests are you practicing with? You have mentioned that you ahve to guess a number of questions.

P.S. Reading can take as much time as you have. If you had 4 hours to spare for reading, you could probably invest all of it into reading and never be exactly sure in your answer. So, I suggest that you answer CR and SC carefully but not wastefully, taking 1 minute for SC, 1:30 for CR, and the rest of time - 32 minutes for reading. This would give you roughly 8 minutes a passage with questions. 5-6 mins per passage and 30 sec/question. Sounds reasonable?

--
Re: Reading speed & verbal   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2003, 14:29