Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Reading speed & verbal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
schaudha wrote:
My reading speed is about 225-240 wpm. But I have to read the passage at least twice to answer questions accurately. I can't finish verbal section without leaving 1-2 passages unanswered (I mean randomly answered).

basically it is not reading speed but staying foucused. Reading once is all I could do. Instead I tried to read attentivel and stop. I even took notes that I never referred to later, but I still took them because I remembered more this way. (I am talking about RC only).

reading twice has some disadvantages:
It is illustrated by the following analogy, which fails fairly soon, but i think is quite good:
Would you rather be married twice to two average women, or once to a good one?

This is what I mean - reading well once is better than skimming twice since you probably skim the same parts.

My problem was actually my mind lagging behind my reading speed - I could not absorb information fast enough to be able to answer questions accurately. THat's why I would stop after each paragraph and sum up what was said and what was going on. I would try to understand processes if any were mentioned or would immediately try to compare/contrast the ideas rather than waiting for the question to ask me do it.

What tests are you practicing with? You have mentioned that you ahve to guess a number of questions.

P.S. Reading can take as much time as you have. If you had 4 hours to spare for reading, you could probably invest all of it into reading and never be exactly sure in your answer. So, I suggest that you answer CR and SC carefully but not wastefully, taking 1 minute for SC, 1:30 for CR, and the rest of time - 32 minutes for reading. This would give you roughly 8 minutes a passage with questions. 5-6 mins per passage and 30 sec/question. Sounds reasonable?

--
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Reading speed & verbal [#permalink]