Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Requesting A Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 716 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Requesting A Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 11:00
Indian Male

Work Experience : 27 Months as on 1st December 2012 in a HVAC Contracting Company which is one of the top 3 companies in the field in India.

Responsibilities : Procurement Engineer - Involves technical as well as commercial responsibilities.

GMAT Score:
Quants : 49, Verbal : 42, Overall : 740 (AWA & IR still awaited. Expect to get a good score in AWA. Not so much in IR. Hopefully not worse than a 4)

Undergrad Info:
B.E in Mechanical Engineering with 70% from Anna University (Non IIT Indian University - State Owned)

Extra-Curricular
Was part of the school soccer team and regular in the school athletic meet winning several medals in the intra school sports meets. Although I doubt if that would amount to anything.
Community service is also 0. I have been instrumental in getting roads laid in my area but do not have any proof. To sum it up, I think this would be what would hurt my profile most.
Have received appraisal letters from my management for good performance which I hope could stand for something.

Target Programs
HKUST
ISB
NUS

I would also like to know whether Wharton, Yale and IMD would be too much of a stretch.

Thanks in advance. :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Requesting A Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 19:07
Expert's post
Your GMAT score is really good, but the bad news is, there are a lot of really good GMAT scores in your applicant pool. Your applicant pool is Indian with Engineering degree. What could potentially differentiate you is the bit about working with both the technical and the customer facing side of the business. This kind of Technology & Management role gives you a unique perspective on the marketplace and how a business runs, which you should emphasize when you apply to school. I think you could have a shot at your target schools. It's not a bad year to throw in at US schools, with applications down at five year lows. Many schools in the US are risking under-enrollment, so are more open to a higher percentage of international students than they might normally take in order to keep revenues up and classes full. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Premium Member
Re: Requesting A Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 07:18
bryantmichaels wrote:
Your GMAT score is really good, but the bad news is, there are a lot of really good GMAT scores in your applicant pool. Your applicant pool is Indian with Engineering degree. What could potentially differentiate you is the bit about working with both the technical and the customer facing side of the business. This kind of Technology & Management role gives you a unique perspective on the marketplace and how a business runs, which you should emphasize when you apply to school. I think you could have a shot at your target schools. It's not a bad year to throw in at US schools, with applications down at five year lows. Many schools in the US are risking under-enrollment, so are more open to a higher percentage of international students than they might normally take in order to keep revenues up and classes full. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Thanks for your reply bryantmichaels... :).. What is your opinion on my chances with the ivy league schools.. Wharton, Stanford, Harvard and Yale??

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Requesting A Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 11:27
Expert's post
your chances should be the same as any other Indian applicant with all the right credentials. Therein lies the problem...these schools get so many applications, you really have to stand out, so I would say your chances increase dramatically if you can spin a story that is memorable and sticks in the mind of the application readers. Think of how you are different than others who have a similar cultural and professional background as yourself. This will get you pointed in the right direction.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Premium Member
Re: Requesting A Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 01:56
I also have a follow up question... I was quite caught up with work and was not able to prepare my SOP. So applying in R2 is definitely out of the question.. Is it true that foreign applicants to US schools are seriously disadvantaged if applying in R3??