Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scratch Paper Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 13:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
My understanding is that instead of regular paper, you're given laminated erasable sheets. Is that accurate? Are you expected to erase the sheets yourself and reuse them, or do they give you enough that you don't need to do that? What if you need more?

Also, once you get them, do you have time to write down formulas prior to starting the test? With other exams I've taken, this has been an option...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 18:17
yes, you'll get the erasable sheets. if you need more - just ask the administrator to erase it for you or get more. although I didn't need that much.
If you really want to put all your formulas on these sheets you can easily do that when you go through the timed pre-test screens. Obviously you don't need to waste time reading what you've already seen on GMATPrep.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 01 May 2008, 02:43
Thanks! I've found that having certain formulas and number properties written down can save me several seconds. Even though I can recall them, it's quicker for me to glance down at a sheet of notes. It also minimizes the chance of error.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 01 May 2008, 05:48
you get 10 legal sized sheets (5 inidividual sheets, front and back). Erasing on those things is hard and time comsuming. I'm a big paper user and finished the Q with no room left but I didn't erase anything either. Asking them for paper can vary in length of time for them to recognize you sinec you aren't supposed to leave your seat unless given permission. I asked for a new book for the V and used half of it.

Also remember the pen size is a little fatter than an ultra fine point sharpie.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 18:31
The test administrator will provide you with a booklet of five (5) noteboards. If you fill up your noteboards during the test, please raise your hand; the administrator will collect the noteboards you have and give you replacements. You may not remove the noteboards from the testing room during or after the test and you must return them to the administrator after the test.

As of August 2009
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 05:14
Also worth noting is at my test center, they specifically said that we could not erase these notepad (they don't provide you with any type of erasers). I didn't want to void my score by inadvertently erasing anything, so I just wrote small and made my pad last me through the quant section. If you need more, you're supposed to raise your hand and they bring you more... but the pad was more than enough for my Q section (I didn't use it for V, so if you're used to writing a lot for the V, consider getting a new pad during your break).

Also, make sure your marker works. I was lucky that mine worked during the Q.. but when I tried to use it for a few questions on the V, I found that it ran out of ink. This would have been a huge time waster if it had happened during the Q section.. so save yourself the drama and make sure it works ok.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 22

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 14:37
I think the best you can do is to purchase this MGMAT Test Simulation Booklet.
Some users said that is actually the same as the one that you will be given in the test day.
I purchased and it's been useful, it's not critical but it probably helps to arrive to the exam and be familiar with the stuff you will be using.

Good luck!

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 02:40
So just to confirm,... you can technically use as much scratch-pads as possible throughout the exam by raising your hand and asking for a new set - if you're in need of more?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 11:21
u definitely can ask for an extra sheet, but i guess it is better to go prepared and to buy a replica of the paper and marker. Just to avoid suprises so you know what you are up against.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 03:21
IMHO, the best way to simulate the experience is use A4 squarred paper with a 2mm ink pen (you can buy both items in any stationary shop). Such ink pen will make sure you'll consume same space on a sheet as while using the exam's pen.

Beware of suprsises: in Istanbul test center, the scratch paper has rectangular squares i/o squares. It was a nasty surprise and it cost me 1 coordinate geometry question because I failed to build a graph (:
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 348

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 07:07
All the notepads come with a grid. Another thought worthwhile: ask the test proctor for two pads/pens at the beginning. My proctor gave me two pens himself and I didn't even use up the whole notepad for both Q and V put together. It's merely a preference but the MGMAT booklet might be useful.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: Scratch Paper Questions [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 05:38
Does anyone know the exact size of the GMAT notepad? I'm gonna cut papers to the size and use them on my CATs. Amazon gives the size but I think it must include the packaging too.

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Re: Scratch Paper Questions   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2011, 05:38