Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I take the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Should I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 11:14
I have signed up to take the GMAT on December 15 but I am not scoring nowhere near the score I want. I am scoring on the 570-600 range on practice test (I have been studying for two months now using kaplan, it hasnt been effective, but I'll get into that later).

Does it make the sense to take the test especially since I am not getting the score i want? I would not mind delaying my application an extra year if I can somehow get my score to go up about a 100 points.

The reasoning behind me wanting to take the test two weeks from now though i am not ready is because I feel that the adrenaline of having a test in two weeks will allow me to accelerate my studies and perhaps go up 50 points from here till then.....After reading the forums for a couple of days that seems highly unlikely.....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Should I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 12:59
Almontas33 wrote:
I have signed up to take the GMAT on December 15 but I am not scoring nowhere near the score I want. I am scoring on the 570-600 range on practice test (I have been studying for two months now using kaplan, it hasnt been effective, but I'll get into that later).

Does it make the sense to take the test especially since I am not getting the score i want? I would not mind delaying my application an extra year if I can somehow get my score to go up about a 100 points.

The reasoning behind me wanting to take the test two weeks from now though i am not ready is because I feel that the adrenaline of having a test in two weeks will allow me to accelerate my studies and perhaps go up 50 points from here till then.....After reading the forums for a couple of days that seems highly unlikely.....

You have 7 days to reschedule your GMAT for the $50 fee, otherwise you will lose your exam fee.

FYI: Most people do not report an "adrenaline" from the upcoming test appointment. More often than not, it drives panic and frustration due to lack of progress.

My advice: Take the test (don't lose any money on rescheduling). Use the test as a learning point to move forward. Come up with a new study plan ot overcome your shortcomings and obtain/achieve your desired results.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 13:22
I'll have to disagree with mohater. I think you should delay the exam if you feel like you haven't adequately prepared for it. Don't depend on an adrenaline rush to get you an extra 50-100 points. Agreed that some people do better under pressure and some people don't. With that said, even if you are someone who performs well under pressure and get a lot of studying done, I don't think a 600 is going to be a 700.

Yes, taking the GMAT will give you an concrete idea of where you're at, as test prep materials are often more difficult than the real thing, but you can get that by taking the exams on the official GMATprep. Taking the GMAT when you're not ready for it will likely result in a low score and loss of $250. Plus, schools, even though they say they will only take the highest score, will see all of your scores. My advice is to spend some more time preparing, and when you feel like you're ready, take it.
Re: Should I take the GMAT?   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2009, 13:22