Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Starting for GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
reatsaint wrote:
After serveral days of thinking whether or not to sit for GMAT, I have finally decided to go for it. I have been evaluating various options whether to stay in my current job, or go for MBA. After much deliberation, I am ready and eager to go for it.

I am in IT Consultant basically from India, working on a project currently in US. I am 31, a little too old. Nevertheless I am going for it.
Currently I have bought OG and starting with it.

Wish me luck !!!

Before you start with OG, take a GMAT prep test from mba.com under timed conditions. The test will tell you where you stand right now and your strengths and weaknesses. It will also give you your first feel of GMAT. Thereafter, make a schedule, decide your target score, and plan how much time you need to reach the target score. Then get going....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Similar story.. Just beginning :)

I have been told that I should take a full test before embarking, however, also that GMAT Prep tests are too precious and too-near-the-original, to 'waste' as a day zero test..it's better use apparently being a score indicator as one draws nearer to the D-Day.

Any thoughts? If not GMat prep, which do you advise?

Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You can take anything really. Here are my thoughts on taking gmat prep for diagnostic: what-is-the-best-way-to-start-the-gmat-journey-98067.html#p754966
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
reatsaint wrote:
Dreamy wrote:
Good luck. 31 years is not too old for MBA.

Just went through your Target 700 post, just curious have you achieved your target yet ?

I took vacation from GMAT preparation as I got entangled with other tasks continuously. I am taking my GMAT on 26th April 2011. RC and SC are my weaknesses. I am planning to work on those consistently to hit 700.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks BB and Karishma, I will go ahead and take Diagnostic test from GMAT Prep.
It really feels great to have people guide me as I take up the journey, Thanks once again GMAT Club.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Make sure to pick up the MGMAT guides, priceless. Especially Number properties, Word Translations, and SC. These will complement the OG really well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Please dont say that! 32 is the avg. age in most part-time schools, 36 for executive!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took the GMAT Prep test last weekend as the Diagnostic Test, and scored 590 Q42,V28.

This is my basic review. I need to review in detail the full test, which I am planning this weekend.

Verbal :
Verbal was really bad, Most of the sentence correction answers were wrong.
Looks like I need to work more on Verbal than the Quant.

Quant:
For Quant, the issue was more with I forgot formulae and stuff. But if I remember the formula and definitions I think I can score better.

Can any of you tell me if 590 Q42,V28, is good enough starting point for 720+ in the final GMAT ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think it is awesome, however I should be the last person passing a judgement here, I am just finishing OG12 and will give my first gmat prep tomorrow, will keep u posted abt the results; this forum is one of the best things happening to me this year considering I am getting constant inspiration to stay on track to get my goal!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Good luck to you!

Although I've only spent 2 months of practice one the GMAT, If I could start all over again, I definitely would have used other methods to prepare for the GMAT.

Start with a set like MGMAT - the trickiest part about GMAT is the "width" of knowledge you need. It is not sufficient to be good at specific areas if you cannot perform well in every subject, at least if you aim high. First you build solid basic knowledge in every area and then you can focus on more difficult problems.

In my opinion, the quant part in OG is way too easy, they might be sufficient if you aim at 600-level, but if you aim higher they won't suffice. OG is good for easy RC, CR and quality SC.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Gave GMATPrep-1 today, must admit, got the CAT adrenalin rush after 10 yrs, I had given GRE when I was 20!
So it was Q45 V38, Total 680, got a good whip lash from my mathpro husband, as I scored 7 out of first 10 ques wrong, I think the later were easy so in all 15/37 were wrong, verbal was much better 11/41 were wrong, all SC except for 2 CR. Though I have 6 months in hand (I am planning to give GMAT in sept 1st week) i really need to hit those math sections now!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks! Those MGMAT guides will be my soulmates for few weeks now :)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok, I have been off and on in studying. I had the OG book with me, and practiced some Sentence Correction from online forums (including this one).

I was going through the books section in GMAT Club to choose the "bang for the buck" book for GMAT. Finally, I ordered Kaplan Verbal and Math Workbook, and the MGMAT Word Translation book. I ordered them last weekend so they should be in by 2-4 days. My serious study begins with the arrival of the books. Kind of feeling like a teenager once again, all those books and notes. Pads and pencils.

Originally posted by reatsaint on 09 Mar 2011, 12:37.
Last edited by reatsaint on 09 Mar 2011, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
desiaggie1980 wrote:
Gave GMATPrep-1 today, must admit, got the CAT adrenalin rush after 10 yrs, I had given GRE when I was 20!
So it was Q45 V38, Total 680, got a good whip lash from my mathpro husband, as I scored 7 out of first 10 ques wrong, I think the later were easy so in all 15/37 were wrong, verbal was much better 11/41 were wrong, all SC except for 2 CR. Though I have 6 months in hand (I am planning to give GMAT in sept 1st week) i really need to hit those math sections now!

Wow, this is great. I envy your verbal score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I got kaplan books from my library and got a feeling that questions are different from usual OG or MGMAT stuff, they are a bit harder but the nature of CRs for example feels different from real GMAT stuff, I got a same feeling with princeton!

GMAT Club Bot