Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72869 [7]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: what is the best way to start the GMAT journey [#permalink]
Thanks Guys for your nice comments.

I didn't gave gmatprep though its been a year when I had decided to prepare for Gmat. I have kept it for my later use as I already know my weak areas.

Mgmat could be the second best for diagnosing the test, and its very important to know your weak areas.

greatman1234: You are welcome to bother us.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General management, Marketing
Schools:ISB, IIMA, INSEAD Fr
 Q49  V40
GPA: 80
WE 1: 9 years
Send PM
I worked with Kaplan verbal and a little with the GMAT big book (the GMAT review).

1. Start with the Big Book and end with the Big Book. This is and should be your "Gideon's bible" all along the journey. Sleep with it, over it and around it. I got waylaid by others on the way and wasted some time before coming back :)

2. If you are good at quants already, do the last 50 questions in math and the DS sections. I found that part marginally challenging. The DS can be difficult because it requires a different approach than solving problems. GMAT traps you with common assumptions we make when solving problems with known numbers. You will beat these traps with practice.

2. In verbal SC, make sure you understand the reasoning behind each and every question and answer in the Big book. Use Kaplan verbal for help. There are about 5 major rules and the questions in the book cover the questions you will encounter on the GMAT. I also recommend the book available on this website. Just search for majortests.
It costs about 200 INR and is very useful, especially if you are a language guru already and need fine tuning. I bought this book. (I am not affiliated to this website in any way.) It is a very good compilation of fundas but poor reasoning.

3. In verbal, CR is nasty. Somehow, I always found this to be the PITA. This requires a style of interpreting questions and comes only through practice. The Big book ought to be your final stop. Kaplan CR does not reflect the GMAT CR much. Spend more time on CR than on SC. The easiest CR can jack you up and mess your score while the easiest SC will often go your way.

I had scored 720 and 760 on the GMATPrep and got 730 on the GMAT yesterday. I got 640 on all of the 5 kaplan tests. I spent about 45 hours including tests.

Let me know if you need further help. I am just fresh out of the exam hall. I touched a little of Princeton, Manhattan and Barrons on the way, but I simply got messed up. I ought to have spent that time with the Big Book. Use one of these to help you, but just work through the Big book.

biRam
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks gurpreet singh for allowing me to disturb you...:)

well about gmat prep i have tried to run i have tried to run it on windows 2007..... but cant!!!!!!!!!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
greatman1234 wrote:
thanks gurpreet singh for allowing me to disturb you...:)

well about gmat prep i have tried to run i have tried to run it on windows 2007..... but cant!!!!!!!!!

you can try XP compatibility mode in win 7 :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM

please can you elaborate!!!!!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
greatman1234 wrote:

please can you elaborate!!!!!

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... -mode.aspx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
great man, reagarding your original question. In the beginning, spend week time in quants and verbal alternatively. When you are close to the test, then start taking one CAT exam a week and assess your results.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ssaravanaraj wrote:
great man, reagarding your original question. In the beginning, spend week time in quants and verbal alternatively. When you are close to the test, then start taking one CAT exam a week and assess your results.

hey thanks man.....

sorry for the late reply.......
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Just wanted to say good luck! Don't get discouraged and stay strong!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
bb wrote:
I have written this somewhere encouraging people not to waste the GMATPrep for practice but I don't think it is a bad idea to use for diagnostic. Take a MGMAT test if you have to but you need to take a diagnostic. Otherwise, you have no idea about your improvement or changes.

Here is why it is not a bad idea to use GMAT Prep as a diagnostic and why you are not wasting it on for a diagnostic:

1. When you starting out, you are usually at a 100-200 points below than you would be by the end of your prep, so the level of questions that will bog you down is quite different
2. Now, GMATPrep contains about 900 quant and 500 verbal questions (ballpark estimate). Taking 2 tests, you only cover less than 10% of them. This does not mean you can take the test 10 times but it does mean you can take 2 sets of tests at different levels very comfortably without seeing overlapping questions.
3. If you do see overlapping questions, those will be easy or questions that would otherwise have no impact on your score anyway. My suggestion for overlaps is to take a minute and a half to solve them if you remember the answer. This way you answer a simple question you would have answered anyway but taking time and not giving yourself the time you would not have otherwise. Nothing is impacted this way and the score you get at the end is solid and without a doubt as accurate as if you have taken the GMATPrep only once.

Just some thoughts...

P.S. Gurpreet is cool!

Hey i've heard from someone that there are 2 versions of gmatpreps...before 2007 and after 2007...can you provide some link to download the older one.
GMAT Club Bot