Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 02:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:45) correct 52% (01:02) wrong based on 514 sessions
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: students [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 07:07
Not sure about the reasoning but I feel C is correct.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming (Seem awkward to me)
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes (Seem awkward to me)
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes (My choice for correct answer)
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming (Meaning changed)
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming (Meaning changed)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 11

Re: students [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 08:51
Options A, B and E have pronoun reference errors
Option D, meaning changed

Option C seems right

OA please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: students [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 09:02
dtaneja wrote:
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.
(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

I go with option E. As before, PLEASE UNDERLINE THE SECTION NEEDING TO BE CHANGED.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: students [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 10:25
bipolarbear wrote:
I go with option E. As before, PLEASE UNDERLINE THE SECTION NEEDING TO BE CHANGED.

Option E says students are lacking in math skills itself, whereas the question somewhat says they have math skills but it is not upto mark to make them compititive in city economy. Not sure if it makes sense but you can say it's more GMATish :wink:

So I strongly believe E is incorrect choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: students [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 10:49
humans wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:

Option E says students are lacking in math skills itself, whereas the question somewhat says they have math skills but it is not upto mark to make them compititive in city economy. Not sure if it makes sense but you can say it's more GMATish :wink:

So I strongly believe E is incorrect choice.

I stand by my answer choice of E. There isn't much of a difference between are so lacking math skills and lack math skills to such a large degree. A is way too complicated and uses unnecessary words.

O.A please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: students [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 07:09
So shud always be accompained by That..

hence teh answer is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: students [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 07:31
A is too wordy while E is much more concise and conveys the exact same point. Hence E... still waiting for OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: students [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 13:14
E. Them only refers to people. E avoids pronoun reference error created by they and wordiness of choice A.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: students [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 18:50
bipolarbear wrote:
I stand by my answer choice of E. There isn't much of a difference between are so lacking math skills and lack math skills to such a large degree. A is way too complicated and uses unnecessary words.

O.A please?

You are right :oops: . OA is E, found this in OG11.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: students [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 10:06
The Sentence resembles an action happening (economy becoming )so the use of present progressive tense "are lacking " is preferred to rather simple present "lack"

Also the usage of right idiomatic expression "so x that" as in option E makes it a preferable choice.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: students [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 23:41
OA is "E"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: students [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 07:24
(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming-
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes--
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes---"Student in the metropolitan school district" does not go with "lack of math skills"
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming---Correct
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: students [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 09:08
I would also go with E. Unfortunate but true I could get the answer on this SC in under 30 secs. And mostly do on all questions of SC on the club. But whenever I attempt some standardized CAT test my answers never reach this accuracy level. Why? Are these questions that are posted here easy?

Posted from my mobile device Image

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ros.
Nice Post + Some help + Lucid solution = Kudos

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do | Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: students [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 14:21
can someone please explain why D is wrong? I thought "city's economy" is better than "city economy".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: students [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 19:41

(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming >>> correct answer
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: students [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 08:25
I think that it is all about the idiom so X that Y

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 7

Re: students [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 15:17
This post received
KUDOS
seekmba wrote:
can someone please explain why D is wrong? I thought "city's economy" is better than "city economy".

D is wrong because "are lacking so much" is unidiomatic correct way of saying it is "so lacking in" also "as to be" is not idiomatic either. Also when you using "so" to suggest exten - ot needs to be followed by "that" to complete the thought. Hope it helps.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: students [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 03:36
The answer is E - the Idiom "So X that Y" has been used here.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: students [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 05:20
Correct answer
E
Bcz of GMATish way of thinking

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: students   [#permalink] 30 May 2011, 05:20