Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 22:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Study strategy help, please:)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Study strategy help, please:) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 04:47
Hi there,

I'm a Kaplan student and need some honest advice. I'm looking to score 720+ on my GMAT in mid-September. To be honest, I'm not sure if the Kaplan CATs (I've taken 3 of 9) will give me a true sense of how I will actually do on my GMAT (mid-September). I'm a little discouraged by my results so far.

CAT 1 - 660 (48Q, 30V)
CAT 2 - 620 (40Q, 33V)
CAT 3 - 620 (40Q, 36V)

Am I being unnecessarily pessimistic? I would rather know if I'm not doing well relative to the actual GMAT than perform on something that won't be indicative -- are there other practice tests I should be taking (I will be doing the GMAT Prep...but are others more representative than Kaplan or should I continue with the CATs).

I've been practicing quant for over one month now and am doing well in the practice sessions. However, I'm not sure why it's not reflected in CAT 2 and 3. Any thoughts?

I've started to work through verbal and am beginning to see some upward results which is encouraging.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2138

Kudos [?]: 7341 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Study strategy help, please:) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 08:52
Expert's post
You may want to continue posting in the same thread here: kaplan-and-gmatprep1-2-3-etc-can-someone-please-advise-79008.html#p596408

You should not be discouraged - Kaplan's scores are not representative of the real test. Their questions are harder and also sometimes a little non-standard. You are getting great scores by the way. Take a look at the GMAT Score Estimator/Calculator - it will calculate your GMAT score based on a variety of practice test scores. For example your score of 620 is about 700 on the real GMAT. Play with it a bit. Depending on your stress tolerance your score may be higher/lower about 30 points in most cases.

You are doing great already, but to complete your prep, you need to do 3 things:
1. Download GMATPrep - it is free and will give you the most accurate measurement of your results. Take one test now and save one for a few weeks before the test gmatprep-gmat-prep-powerprep-power-prep-free-tests-77548.html

2. Get Official Guide - it is a collection of GMAT questions published by the GMAT creators - this will get your mind tuned to the real GMAT questions. If you find them too easy, go to the end of the section as the questions are arranged in the increasing order of difficulty.

3. Make sure you are comfortable with Probability and Combinations since Kaplan usually does not emphasize this area (see here: combination-and-probability-references-56486.html)

P.S. If you get 700+ on GMATPrep, I would not wait till Sept to take your GMAT - you can polish a few things off, practice with the Official Guide, and then head to the test center in a month or two max or otherwise you will start forgetting what you have learned.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Study strategy help, please:)   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2009, 08:52