Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions for improving quant score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 06:30
Hello. I'm looking for ways to improve my quant score. I'm taking my first GMAT exam in a bit less than one month. The verbal section has always come pretty easily to me, but math is the bane of my existence. Here are my seven GMATPrep practice exam scores (starting with the earliest exam I took):

1. Quantitative 46, Verbal 44, Total 730
2. Quantitative 44, Verbal 45, Total 720
3. Quantitative 49, Verbal 41, Total 740
4. Quantitative ?, Verbal ?, Total 740
5. Quantitative 45, Verbal 44, Total 720
6. Quantitative 49, Verbal 47, Total 760
7. IR 5, Quantitative 47 (76th percentile), Verbal 45 (99th percentile), Total 740 (97th percentile)

I recognized 5-10 repeated questions in my last practice exam. I tend to get between 9 and 12 wrong on the quantitative section and between 4 and 6 wrong on the verbal section. I've never finished the quantitative section with time to spare, although I tend to finish the verbal section with 10-15 minutes to spare.

I completed the Official Guide (12th Edition) and the official Quantitative Review (2nd Edition) three or four times. Unfortunately, I never kept track of the subject areas that might give me trouble. I feel as if I struggle equally with all subject ares, except algebra :). Also, has anyone found Kaplan's GMAT Premier book to be helpful for improving their quant score?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [1] , given: 165

Re: Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
honsmos wrote:
Hello. I'm looking for ways to improve my quant score. I'm taking my first GMAT exam in a bit less than one month. The verbal section has always come pretty easily to me, but math is the bane of my existence. Here are my seven GMATPrep practice exam scores (starting with the earliest exam I took):

1. Quantitative 46, Verbal 44, Total 730
2. Quantitative 44, Verbal 45, Total 720
3. Quantitative 49, Verbal 41, Total 740
4. Quantitative ?, Verbal ?, Total 740
5. Quantitative 45, Verbal 44, Total 720
6. Quantitative 49, Verbal 47, Total 760
7. IR 5, Quantitative 47 (76th percentile), Verbal 45 (99th percentile), Total 740 (97th percentile)

I recognized 5-10 repeated questions in my last practice exam. I tend to get between 9 and 12 wrong on the quantitative section and between 4 and 6 wrong on the verbal section. I've never finished the quantitative section with time to spare, although I tend to finish the verbal section with 10-15 minutes to spare.

I completed the Official Guide (12th Edition) and the official Quantitative Review (2nd Edition) three or four times. Unfortunately, I never kept track of the subject areas that might give me trouble. I feel as if I struggle equally with all subject ares, except algebra :). Also, has anyone found Kaplan's GMAT Premier book to be helpful for improving their quant score?

Check out my blog. I discuss GMAT relevant advanced concepts and logical methods of solving questions. If you follow those, you should easily be able to finish the Quant section with at least 10-15 mins to spare.
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/categor ... er-wisdom/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 07:07
Thank you for posting, Karis. I will check out your blog.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 20:17
This post received
KUDOS
Great scores.

I'm currently going through the Math from the OG 12th ed.

Have you tried Manhattan's Advanced Quant? I heard it was the best for people already scoring pretty high and wanting to take it to the next level. I'm considering buying it after I'm done with the Math from OG and browsing through other threads here.
Intern
Intern

Re: Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 05:24
Hello epic. I didn't hear about Manhattan's Advanced Quant. Thanks for sharing info about it with me. I'll be taking the GMAT in five days, and now I am taking practice tests to improve my "mental endurance". I just hope I am able to perform as well on my real GMAT.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3056 [1] , given: 890

Re: Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Re: Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 08:51
Thanks, souvik. I got the following:

Total: 710, 92nd percentile
Quantitative: 43, 61th percentile
Verbal: 45, 99th percentile

I messed up on the quantitative section. I panicked a little, spent too much time on certain questions and had to rush and guess on a handful of questions at the end. I believe I could have scored in the 70th percentile in the quant section. But I don't plan on retaking the test because my score is better than 90% of the people who were admitted to the Master's of Accounting program at my top choice.

I hope good things happen for you, souvik. :)
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3056 [0], given: 890

Re: Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 09:19
Expert's post
honsmos wrote:
Thanks, souvik. I got the following:

Total: 710, 92nd percentile
Quantitative: 43, 61th percentile
Verbal: 45, 99th percentile

I messed up on the quantitative section. I panicked a little, spent too much time on certain questions and had to rush and guess on a handful of questions at the end. I believe I could have scored in the 70th percentile in the quant section. But I don't plan on retaking the test because my score is better than 90% of the people who were admitted to the Master's of Accounting program at my top choice.

I hope good things happen for you, souvik. :)

Your verbal score is indeed outstanding.
As for your quant score, it depends (as you rightly said) on the school that you are applying to.
Personally even if they ask you to retake, I ll give it 2-4 weeks for an atleast 5 point quant improvement.
But with a verbal score like that, your critical thinking is already proven to be off the charts.
Cheers to a great future :)

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Re: Suggestions for improving quant score? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 09:58
Thanks :). I meant my total score (710) was in the 90th percentile. I'll keep that in mind in case I'm asked to retake the exam. I've never been told a had an off-the-chart anything. Thanks! Cheers to our futures! :D
Re: Suggestions for improving quant score?   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2012, 09:58