Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

test m02/question 3

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
test m02/question 3 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 00:56
If a website registered 810 new members in June, how many of the new, registered members were from North America?

In June, the ratio of new members from North America, Europe and Asia was 4:3:2 respectively.
In June, none of the members were from locations other than North America, Europe and Asia.

Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

The OA given is C, to which i don't agree and the explanation is also not convincing.
I marked A, which according to me and anyone should be the right option..

kindly explain, if i am wrong.....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: test m02/question 3 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 01:20
gurpreet07 wrote:
If a website registered 810 new members in June, how many of the new, registered members were from North America?

In June, the ratio of new members from North America, Europe and Asia was 4:3:2 respectively.
In June, none of the members were from locations other than North America, Europe and Asia.

BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient

The OA given is C, to which i don't agree and the explanation is also not convincing.

Hello gurpreet07,

A cannot be answer, because question says there were 810 new members in June but does not say from where.

Now 1 says that the ratio of new members from North America, Europe and Asia was 4:3:2, but does not say that there were no members from other continents such as australia ,south america etc.

so we need 2 to confirm that the new joinees are only from North America, Europe and Asia.

Then 4x+3x+2x = 810
9x = 810
x =90

so the no of joinees from north america is 4x = 360

hope this helps :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: test m02/question 3 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 04:17
manojmakkatt wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:

Hello gurpreet07,

A cannot be answer, because question says there were 810 new members in June but does not say from where.

Now 1 says that the ratio of new members from North America, Europe and Asia was 4:3:2, but does not say that there were no members from other continents such as australia ,south america etc.

so we need 2 to confirm that the new joinees are only from North America, Europe and Asia.

Then 4x+3x+2x = 810
9x = 810
x =90

so the no of joinees from north america is 4x = 360

hope this helps :)

See that's what the problem is we are assuming that there were new joinees from other continents.
because no where in the stimulus it has been mentioned.

instead if the question would have mentioned "if a website registered 810 new members in june from different continents. then option C would be absltly fine.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: test m02/question 3 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 07:43
gurpreet07 wrote:
See that's what the problem is we are assuming that there were new joinees from other continents.

That is not an assumption like in verbal questions. That is the fact of Quant, numbers and mathematics overall. You cannot take anything for granted without substantiating or eliminating other real-world regular possibilities. If new members join a website, they can be from anywhere in the world. So before we calculate precisely the exact number that joined from NA, we must know the numbers from other parts of the world as well.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: test m02/question 3 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 07:46
BarneyStinson wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:

That is not an assumption like in verbal questions. That is the fact of Quant, numbers and mathematics overall. You cannot take anything for granted without substantiating or eliminating other real-world regular possibilities. If new members join a website, they can be from anywhere in the world. So before we calculate precisely the exact number that joined from NA, we must know the numbers from other parts of the world as well.

I still don't agree...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: test m02/question 3 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 10:53
gurpreet07 wrote:
I still don't agree...

I can only empathize with your frustration. Trust me, GMAT quant is not as bad as this question might seem. The tricks with the word usage is not as disgusting as you might dread. I suspect what source is this question from? Without legitimate sources, more often than not, your practise is typically wasted.

so don't emphasize on how right or wrong the question is, emphasize on your thinking patterns to be able to answer the question, not challenge it.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: test m02/question 3 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 11:06
Guys, from my experience in dealing with D.S. questions, this is what I have to say :

If a choice requires you to assume anything one way or the other, then it is NOT SUFFICIENT.

In this particular case, the question makes no mention of how many different countries people are registering from and any choice that requires us to assume one way or the other is insufficient.

Click below to check out some great tips and tricks to help you deal with problems on Remainders!
compilation-of-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-remainders-86714.html#p651942

Word Problems Made Easy!
1) Translating the English to Math : word-problems-made-easy-87346.html
2) 'Work' Problems Made Easy : work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
3) 'Distance/Speed/Time' Word Problems Made Easy : distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: test m02/question 3 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 19:14
BarneyStinson wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:
I still don't agree...

I can only empathize with your frustration. Trust me, GMAT quant is not as bad as this question might seem. The tricks with the word usage is not as disgusting as you might dread. I suspect what source is this question from? Without legitimate sources, more often than not, your practise is typically wasted.

so don't emphasize on how right or wrong the question is, emphasize on your thinking patterns to be able to answer the question, not challenge it.

Dude its not about frustration, its about being incorrectly worded and BTW my math skills are already very good. Just to mention i am already hitting 50 in maths :-D . And this question is from GMAT CLUB challenges so my practice is also not wasted.

Thanks
Re: test m02/question 3   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2009, 19:14