Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (02:02) correct 48% (01:27) wrong based on 415 sessions
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(B) All Americans may reasonably be classified as either poor or rich.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2009, 23:03
reply2spg wrote:
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.

(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.

Don't have OA for this

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 14:14
IMO C.

Argument depends on statment that "basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate". Though some poor and some rich are uncounted. It can only happen while percentages of both are same. That's what assumed in C. D is wrong because number may not be same.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Intern
Intern
Schools: SDSU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 17:59
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
IMO C.

Argument depends on statment that "basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate". Though some poor and some rich are uncounted. It can only happen while percentages of both are same. That's what assumed in C. D is wrong because number may not be same.

MO is opposite, C is wrong cuz percentage of both are same, which doesn't mean the number of uncounted rich is as many as that of uncounted poor. For example, 1/4 = 1000/4000. D is likely correct cuz the number of rich is equal to that of poor so that some of rich is somehow equal to some of poor.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 19:04
reply2spg wrote:

Don't have OA for this

D is incorrect because the conclusion is about poor people (including the homeless) but D only specifies the homeless.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 12:09
reply2spg wrote:
what is wrong with B?

Actually I chose B

If all Americans cannot be reasonably classified as R/P, the conclusion of basic statistical portrait is not accurate any more along with non perfect numbers because the census missed one piece of the big portrait/picture.

Think Middle class, which is unaccounted for in the argument.

To me, C is wrong because percentages and numbers are different.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 21:56
I vote B.
The assumption is that 'no middle class person' is left behind. :lol:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 12:25
IMO C.

B is an assumption for C,which in turn is the required assumption for the argument,which talks abt the 'the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate'. To explain this, the next line is the reasoning 'Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.'

But this reasoning depends on the the assumption C.

Please correct if i am wrong.
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 14:50
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
IMO C.

B is an assumption for C,which in turn is the required assumption for the argument,which talks abt the 'the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate'. To explain this, the next line is the reasoning 'Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.'

But this reasoning depends on the the assumption C.

Please correct if i am wrong.

By selecting C you are proving that population count is right while selecting we are proving that basic model is correct there are no left outs. Therefore, answer has to be B.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
My take is that B cud also have been a valid assumption,

But in the context of argument which talks about about the poor and rich people, the assumption shud be close to it.

in gMAT, its the matter of which is more correct rather than being absolutely correct.

My answer is C.

number of poor people = 150 ( acutally)

ppl counted = 120 missed = 30

number of rich people = 100
ppl counted = 80 missed = 20

actual health of nation = 150/100 = 3/2
counted health of nation = 120/80 = 3/2

census is same only when the percentage of missed people in both rich and poor categories is same..
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 05:17
Neochronic wrote:
My take is that B cud also have been a valid assumption,

But in the context of argument which talks about about the poor and rich people, the assumption shud be close to it.

in gMAT, its the matter of which is more correct rather than being absolutely correct.

My answer is C.

number of poor people = 150 ( acutally)

ppl counted = 120 missed = 30

number of rich people = 100
ppl counted = 80 missed = 20

actual health of nation = 150/100 = 3/2
counted health of nation = 120/80 = 3/2

census is same only when the percentage of missed people in both rich and poor categories is same..

Look at the statement that says thousands of people remain uncounted.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 06:09
I vote for A because it support for 2 premises above.

So what is OA?

Remember to give kudos if it's useful for you !!!

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Census [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 11:07
C it is.

Census should be in proportion to the population (represent the population)

Population = 20% A + 30% B + 50% C
if lets assume 10% of each not counted (not number)
then it'll still represent the potrait of the nation with the ratio of popualtion 2:3:5

but if the equal number of each group are not counted ==> it'll distort the portrait of the nation.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 00:14
lagomez wrote:
papillon86 wrote:
19. The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.

I'll go with C

I like C too.

I didn't like B because the main point needed is to know whether the sample is representative of the population. Even if people are correctly classified, we still do not know if the sampling is accurate
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
WE: Supply Chain Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 18:41
This was a real tough one, and I might be overthinking it but ill give it a shot:

I was for C before I tried to explain my reasoning

Now I believe its D

Premise 1: Some Poor arent counted, particularly the homeless
Premise 2: Some Rich arent counted because they are often traveling

Assumption 1: You need to be home to counted
Assumption 2: The homeless arent counted because they dont have a home, the rich arent counted because they often arent at home
Assumption 3: The number of homeless is approximately the number of rich

Conclusion: Net effect on the census is zero

Am i assuming too much?

What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 04:42
The oa seems to be C. I'd mistakenly chose E for this question, later tried it again and as it is assumption question... with negation
Premise: US census not perfect, thousands go uncounted
Premise: Some poor go uncounted, But some of the rich go uncounted as well
Conclusion: Basic statistical portrait is accurate

negate C) %age of poor uncounted is NOT close to %age of rich uncounted
This will affect the conclusion and basic statistical portrait is not accurate.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2009, 22:42
gddunton wrote:
This was a real tough one, and I might be overthinking it but ill give it a shot:

I was for C before I tried to explain my reasoning

Now I believe its D

Premise 1: Some Poor arent counted, particularly the homeless
Premise 2: Some Rich arent counted because they are often traveling

Assumption 1: You need to be home to counted
Assumption 2: The homeless arent counted because they dont have a home, the rich arent counted because they often arent at home
Assumption 3: The number of homeless is approximately the number of rich who often travel

Conclusion: Net effect on the census is zero

Am i assuming too much?

What is the OA?

I do not think so.
but you miss one information: "Rich people" is different from "rich people who often travel (until left uncount)".

(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.-->in D, Homeless American=Rich American (wrong). There are some rich people who stay home.

To correct the (D): The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americanswho often travel (Now it can be the assumption. However, this corrected D means the same thing as C. does).

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 06:04
I think its B .....

Applying the negation test ...if u apply negation test to B ...the argument falls apart since if there are more than 2 representative groups then the argument does not hold...et all...

WHats the OA ..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 06:55
I will go with C as it correctly points out the reason for statistical balance in results.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
Fact1:The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted.
Fact2:Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless;
Fact3:but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.
Conclusion:the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate.

Paraphrased Assumption: The number of uncounted poor people = number of uncounted rich people.

Skim through the answer choices
C seems to be the closest.

Non necessary for getting to the answer but I will also examine why the other choices are wrong -
(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census. Out of Scope.
(B) All Americans may reasonably be classified as either poor or rich. Comes close but vague
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.We don't care how many are rich or poor we only care how many of those are unaccounted for
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.Probably an inference not an assumption but a very very close one since we are sort of assuming that Census is not merely counting people but it's counting people based on their economic status.

Rock On

Re: Got this one wrong....Plz help!!!!!   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2009, 09:44