Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Timing on the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Timing on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2003, 19:28
In one of the forums I came across the time one can spend on the GMAT questions:
CR-2 1/2 min, SC-1 1/2 min and rest all including RC 2 minutes

But when I'm practicing on the RC practice test of Kaplan, they have 18 questions and the time limit is 25 min thats gives us less than a minute for each question??????? Can anybody clarify on this.

aps_can
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

look at the book's strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2003, 13:22
The book you have should explain the timing strategies - it's not just the type of question, it's the first 10-15 questions, no matter what type, that you should spend the most time on. They affect your score the most. If your book doesn't explain that well enough, try the Princeton Review book - the timing strategies they teach work really, really well.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9456 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Timing on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2003, 16:22
Expert's post
aps_can wrote:
In one of the forums I came across the time one can spend on the GMAT questions:
CR-2 1/2 min, SC-1 1/2 min and rest all including RC 2 minutes

But when I'm practicing on the RC practice test of Kaplan, they have 18 questions and the time limit is 25 min thats gives us less than a minute for each question??????? Can anybody clarify on this.

aps_can

If you add those minutes up - you will get busted :) - that's too much time. You have 41 questions and 75 mins, so you should be spending under 2 mins a question - that schedule will make you sit till the next morning at the center :)

Here is the timing I tried to keep:

SC 0.5-1.3 minute
CR 1.5 min
RC 7 mins/passage

I tried to spend around 45 secs on the SC - I was fairly confident in my grammar skills - I love it since it is very much rule based. I love rules and I love to find loopholes. I love systems.

Anyway, this gets you the following outlook:

SC - you have 16 questions on the test or close
CR - 12 questions on the test or close
RC - 13 questions or close - 4 passages

As the result, you get 18 mins on CR; 16 mins on SC and you have 35 -40 mins left for Reading; this will get to about 7 mins a passage.

IN reading I would split it the following way: 5 mins for the passage and 2 mins for the questions - I learnt that if I spend extra time reading I answer questions faster and more confidently - so I need only 30 secs or less per questions if I read well.

Wow, I just shot it out.
I hope you can scoop something out of this.

-=-
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Timing on the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2003, 12:32
THANKS FOR THE CLARIFYING THE TIMING, IT WAS REALLY BUGGING ME FOR LAST SO MANY DAYS
Timing on the GMAT?   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2003, 12:32