Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Updated: Q50V32, 690 (90%)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Updated: Q50V32, 690 (90%) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2007, 13:09
Friends,

Thanks for all the congrats…much appreciated. I was expecting my verbal to be a bit higher, but oh well. I wish my score is 10 points higher because that would reach my target of 700, but I won’t complain. I was expecting something between 680 and 720. At this point, I’ll accept the 690 and move on to my application because I really want to apply R2 this year, although I am not sure what to think of this score. I am planning to apply for top schools and this score certainly doesn’t put me ahead of the crowd, but also it won’t put me in the bottom of the crowd either. So I guess I’ll just have to do well on other stuff. I don’t think I can afford two more months of studying because the deadline is coming up soon. If I were given two more months, I truly believe I can reach my 700 goal. I wish I started studying for GMAT earlier. :( Right now, I’ll just have to divide my time wisely.

Yesterday wasn’t my first attempt at GMAT. Here is a past result:

GMAT1: Q51 V20, 620 (1 month ago)
GMAT2: Q50 V32, 690 (yesterday)

I am able to bump my verbal from 20 to 32 in a month, not bad. However, I must say that nervousness played significant role in my horrible score of 20, so in a way that score isn’t accurate of my ability. During that test, I couldn’t comprehend what I read and I ended up guessing a lot of the questions. I knew I messed up even before I completed the test. Afterward, I was very upset, but determined not to make the same mistake again. I searched a few posts in this forum and was able to get some good advices. BCC145’s post is advice I took. Basically the strategy is to treat the test as another day. This strategy worked amazingly well for me. I felt that I was focused and able to comprehend the readings through out the test. Thanks BCC145.

My problem with verbal is not the difficulty of the content, but the timing. Given the time, I believe I can do most of the problems. Because I am a slow reader, every GMATprep exam that I have taken, I was not able to finish the test and often forced to guess 7-8 questions. I usually guess a whole last RC passage to maximize my time. As a result, my verbal score never go above 37 in GMAT prep (42 is my highest in MGMAT). At this point, I haven’t figure out a way to become a more efficient reader. If I plan to take GMAT again, I would definitely take some time to read a book about this.

For Math, I won’t say much. My past score shows 51 and 50. The only difference between 51 and 50, in my opinion, is that I guess one question yesterday. When I got 51, I was confident that I got everything right. Maybe it is that one question that caused the difference between 50 and 51, I don’t know. A point to remember for someone who is shooting for 51 in Math.

Thanks for everything…you guys/gals have been an important part of this score. Please PM me anytime. I’ll still be checking this forum for a while. I think there is some good info that can help my application in different section of this forum.

Last edited by bkk145 on 14 Oct 2007, 16:55, edited 3 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1388
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2007, 14:08
bkk145 wrote:
q50v32
In front of the center now using iPhone. More later.


So near yet so far!!

Congarts buddy...You did it...Its a decent score !!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 931
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2007, 16:53
Just missed !!

It's a respectable Score.....

Congratulations!!

- Brajesh
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2007, 17:11
bkk145 wrote:
q50v32
In front of the center now using iPhone. More later.


Excellent score!!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2007, 17:32
Congrats man! 690 is a great score!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 932
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2007, 21:26
bkk145 wrote:
q50v32
In front of the center now using iPhone. More later.


a bit late but good job! lol.. you're probably still recuperating. but really looking forward to your debrief.. thanks for all your help and good luck with your apps!!

p.s. we will truly miss you in the verbal (notably) math discussion forums! sniff.. sniff.. but don't be a stranger to gmatclub :)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 899
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: 690 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2007, 22:04
bkk145 wrote:
q50v32
In front of the center now using iPhone. More later.


Congrats.

definitely very impressive score. you well deserve to be in 700+ club.
definitely there in next sit.

verbal is puller.

Goodluck
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3403
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 07:56
I agree..you are 700+ guy...

verbal pulled you down...what happened???
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 199
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 10:52
Congratulations! Good score :)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 14:55
Ive noticed something rather strange with GMAT scores. A lot of people (who I think include myself) that usually do pretty well on the verbal during practice, bomb it during the real exam???

There is nothing shameful about a 690. But Bkk is not V32 material. Bkk deserves a much higher V than that.

I usually scored in the 37-39 for verbal, but come test day, I get slapped with a 31?


I don't remember the post but another person scored around 750+ on many of his or her CAT's. However when the real deal came, he/she was slapped with a 630... I can't recall the exact splits, but quant was high 48-50 or something and Verbal was low 29-30 something.

Im suggesting that the raw score splits are somewhat of a pattern of occurences. High quant low verbal on test day.

I have no idea why this is such a common occurance and I really can't say for sure that this is common, just speculating.

Any thoughts???
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 16:57
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Ive noticed something rather strange with GMAT scores. A lot of people (who I think include myself) that usually do pretty well on the verbal during practice, bomb it during the real exam???

There is nothing shameful about a 690. But Bkk is not V32 material. Bkk deserves a much higher V than that.

I usually scored in the 37-39 for verbal, but come test day, I get slapped with a 31?


I don't remember the post but another person scored around 750+ on many of his or her CAT's. However when the real deal came, he/she was slapped with a 630... I can't recall the exact splits, but quant was high 48-50 or something and Verbal was low 29-30 something.

Im suggesting that the raw score splits are somewhat of a pattern of occurences. High quant low verbal on test day.

I have no idea why this is such a common occurance and I really can't say for sure that this is common, just speculating.

Any thoughts???


Blackbelt, I agree with you on this. I have seen a lot of people that receive 4-5 points lower on the real exam. I am not sure why...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 320
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 18:03
bkk145 wrote:
Blackbelt, I agree with you on this. I have seen a lot of people that receive 4-5 points lower on the real exam. I am not sure why...


Did the verbal questions seem trickier than those in the OG11, GMATPrep, etc? Extremely tricky, slightly tricky, or mostly similar?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 18:18
gluon wrote:
bkk145 wrote:
Blackbelt, I agree with you on this. I have seen a lot of people that receive 4-5 points lower on the real exam. I am not sure why...


Did the verbal questions seem trickier than those in the OG11, GMATPrep, etc? Extremely tricky, slightly tricky, or mostly similar?


I can't say for BKK, but i didn't feel any difference at all from GMATPrep. Exam was practically identical.


This is why im so perplexed about this.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 19:20
I have a theory about this: fatigue. I recall the first time I took the test. I didn't sleep great the night before, got maybe 5 hours or so. I thought a little extra caffeine and sugar would help get me through the exam, so I drank coke (pretty normal for me) and at chocolate before the exam and during breaks (kind of unusual). Put it all together, the lack of sleep, caffeine, sugar & stress and by the time I got to the verbal section I had a pounding headache. My focus felt just a little bit off, and with about 10-15 minutes left, I couldn't wait to just be done with it, and even though I had plenty of time left I rushed through the last 6-8 verbal questions. The result was a V score about 5-7 points below my average practice scores - actually well lower than any verbal score I had seen in practice.

The second time around, more or less exactly 1 month later, I was well rested, had a better plan about what to eat and drink, and had a sense of calmness during the entire exam. I actually breezed through the verbal section with 20 minutes to spare, my focus was top notch that day and the answers seemed to pop out at me. I think think the key difference between the first and second tries was fatigue at the end of the test as influenced by stress, rest, and chemicals (caffeine, sugar).

So, if your observation about lower verbal breakdowns is correct, it would make sense because verbal is the last part of the exam and most likely to be influenced by test-taker fatigue. It's definitely important to work on endurance when you practice, get as much rest as possible (this may or may not be tough for some), and think about what you eat and drink on test day.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 21:38
I will second pelihu .

I suspect many people fall in the trap of 'skipping' the AWA during their practice routines. The extra one hour of AWA upfront really takes its toll on the back-end of the 'full' test.

Couple that with a poor night's sleep or abnormal levels of sugar and you get a surefire recipe for verbal disaster.

ps. Well done bkk on your score. Terrific improvement.

pelihu wrote:
I have a theory about this: fatigue. I recall the first time I took the test. I didn't sleep great the night before, got maybe 5 hours or so. I thought a little extra caffeine and sugar would help get me through the exam, so I drank coke (pretty normal for me) and at chocolate before the exam and during breaks (kind of unusual). Put it all together, the lack of sleep, caffeine, sugar & stress and by the time I got to the verbal section I had a pounding headache. My focus felt just a little bit off, and with about 10-15 minutes left, I couldn't wait to just be done with it, and even though I had plenty of time left I rushed through the last 6-8 verbal questions. The result was a V score about 5-7 points below my average practice scores - actually well lower than any verbal score I had seen in practice.

The second time around, more or less exactly 1 month later, I was well rested, had a better plan about what to eat and drink, and had a sense of calmness during the entire exam. I actually breezed through the verbal section with 20 minutes to spare, my focus was top notch that day and the answers seemed to pop out at me. I think think the key difference between the first and second tries was fatigue at the end of the test as influenced by stress, rest, and chemicals (caffeine, sugar).

So, if your observation about lower verbal breakdowns is correct, it would make sense because verbal is the last part of the exam and most likely to be influenced by test-taker fatigue. It's definitely important to work on endurance when you practice, get as much rest as possible (this may or may not be tough for some), and think about what you eat and drink on test day.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 22:32
we should not do any thing different on exam day (except scoring better :P )
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 05:31
Friends,

I decided to give GMAT another try. Freshinha, you convinced me. I'll take it sometime in Jan. I'll send my 690 in first, then if I do better in Jan, I'll send the new score in. If not, I won't send it.

Long months ahead...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 06:47
I got a 690 on my GMAT yesterday as well ( Q44, V41). I experienced the exact opposite of the trend being discussed in this thread. On all my GMAT Prep exams i scored 47 or higher on Q and no more than 37 on the verbal. So on the actual exam the verbal ended up being higher and the Q lower.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 06:57
cleanbold058 wrote:
I got a 690 on my GMAT yesterday as well ( Q44, V41). I experienced the exact opposite of the trend being discussed in this thread. On all my GMAT Prep exams i scored 47 or higher on Q and no more than 37 on the verbal. So on the actual exam the verbal ended up being higher and the Q lower.


Cleanbold,

Congrats on your score. I think higher V makes score go higher compare with the same increase in Q.
Q: Do you have problem with timing? Do you always finish the test?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 12:26
In Quantitative i tend to spend too much time on the first few questions and have to speed up and there are times when i don't feel in total control of the test. I would say i end up with like 15 min left for the last 10 questions.
Verbal i have no such problems. I tend to finish with 5 mins left most of the time.
  [#permalink] 23 Oct 2007, 12:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Blew up my GMAT! :-( 680 q50v32 hawthorn 2 30 Nov 2011, 21:35
First GMAT 690 - Q50 V32 - what should I do? abgoswami 1 21 Oct 2009, 17:34
Didn't quite make it 690 (Q50, V32) hosam 4 13 Nov 2006, 07:19
Arrrgg... 690 (Q50, V32)!! qhoc0010 38 07 Mar 2005, 17:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Updated: Q50V32, 690 (90%)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.