Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V01 #20

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [3] , given: 16

V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

a) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
b) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
c) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
d) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
e) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

The OA is D but I disagree for the following reasons:

The publisher wants to capitalize on the "anticipated success of the film" by printing a new edition of the novel.
Now if the film is successful and the lead actress discusses her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews, would that not spur sales of the novel? of course it would!

The fact that the publisher has received payment for the production rights to the film does not affect "anticipated success of the film". The passage never states any commissions to the publisher for ticket sales of the film. The publisher sold the rights, he won't receive any more money from the film being successful, he will only be able sell more novels if the film is successful.

Due to the aforementioned reasons, I believe the answer should be C.

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 16:35
This post received
KUDOS
firasath wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

a) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
b) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
c) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
d) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
e) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

The publisher wants to capitalize on the "anticipated success of the film" by printing a new edition of the novel.
Now if the film is successful and the lead actress discusses her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews, would that not spur sales of the novel? of course it would!

The fact that the publisher has received payment for the production rights to the film does not affect "anticipated success of the film". The passage never states any commissions to the publisher for ticket sales of the film. The publisher sold the rights, he won't receive any more money from the film being successful, he will only be able sell more novels if the film is successful.

It can be assumed from C that the film studio believes, because of the large payment, the film will be a success thus confirming the publishers suspicion or leading the publisher to believe the film will be successful.

In D, a mention of book does not mean success.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 16

Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 18:24
This post received
KUDOS
lagomez wrote:
firasath wrote:

It can be assumed from C that the film studio believes, because of the large payment, the film will be a success thus confirming the publishers suspicion or leading the publisher to believe the film will be successful.

In all GMAT question, it is important to understand what is being asked or what the issue under consideration is. In this question it is asking "EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT"

The mention of the book by the actress in a nationally televised show is basically free national advertising for the publisher. This will DEFINETLY help sales of the book, especially if the film is successful. There is a reason why companies spend millions on advertising, the sales increase spurred by advertising gives it an excellent ROI.

The sale of the production rights will NOT enable the publisher to capitalize on the success of the film. The book publisher will not get any more money if the film is successful.

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
firasath wrote:
lagomez wrote:
firasath wrote:

In all GMAT question, it is important to understand what is being asked or what the issue under consideration is. In this question it is asking "EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT"

The mention of the book by the actress in a nationally televised show is basically free national advertising for the publisher. This will DEFINETLY help sales of the book, especially if the film is successful. There is a reason why companies spend millions on advertising, the sales increase spurred by advertising gives it an excellent ROI.

The sale of the production rights will NOT enable the publisher to capitalize on the success of the film. The book publisher will not get any more money if the film is successful.

i agree !!
C does not relate at any way to the PLAN, whilst D is indirectly related. maybe you should consider rephrasing the answer OR changing one of the two (C/D) to avoid further confusion...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Undecided
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
I strongly agree it should be C. I answered C myself but was surprised to see the answer as D, which didnt make any sense.

There are a many questions on GMATclub tests that have surprising official answers... wonder if they are indeed official answers!
CIO
CIO
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 656 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 02:19
We'll submit this question for revision to our verbal expert.

Can you you please mention other doubtful OAs for our questions? We'll have to edit those questions too. +1
willdoin2010 wrote:
I strongly agree it should be C. I answered C myself but was surprised to see the answer as D, which didnt make any sense.

There are a many questions on GMATclub tests that have surprising official answers... wonder if they are indeed official answers!

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [1] , given: 781

Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
The explanation and answer choices are OK.

Choice d, in fact, is a very obtuse reason for the publisher to implement a plan.

Choice c gives the publisher a financial windfall to invest in publishing the book.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 14:54
I second C, D definitely gives free advertisement.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 03:24
Hi,

Did anyone get a chance to update the answer or submit this question for revision to verbal expert? I still see it as (d) as the official answer, and there is no update on this in the thread

Thanks

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 53

Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 20:08
Can anyone explain why d is preferred to c? Or if the OA is wrong here?
Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 33

Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 06:00
D is obscure! it has to be C! btw OA still not updated.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 06:09
I believe it to be C as well.....

the dollar amount doesn't mean shit.
Let's change C to
c) The publisher received two dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.

Effectively speaking, the reader has to have an extra assumption that 200,000 is a lot of money, which isn't.

Who is there to say that in the setting of the question alone, 200,000 dollars is a lot of money? God, 200 grand? For a film? It's such peanuts money! What if that 200,000 is denoted in Zimbabwe dollars which are totally worthless? Who knows?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 09:56
In C, The 200k dollars received for the right is all dandy but really has no impact on the plans to capitalize on the anticipated success of the movie.

D definitely is going to help with the sale of the books. Answer should be C, then, since it does not strengthen the soundness of the plan.

Cheers

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 19:32
I was really surprised that the answer is D and having read over all the opinions, I still think it's C.

First, I don't think you can really interpret C to be a small or large amount of money. Maybe the actual value was supposed to be 2 million and he only sold it for 200k? Who knows. So I have a hard time judging this to be a 'profit' or any sign of 'success'.

With D, I think this clearly emphasizes on the link between the book sales and the movie in that the movie has additionally helped the book, reinforcing the soundness of the plan because of the synergy present.

Please +1 KUDOS if my post helps. Thank you.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: V01 #20 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 06:18
Phew! I was scratching my head after seeing the answer. Nowhere does the argument or the option mention that 200k is a profit or a 'big' amount. C is a clear cut choice.
(some more like this in my first gmatclub verbal set. I was of the opinion that quality is good! *sigh* )
Re: V01 #20   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2014, 06:18