GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 23:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 903
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jan 2019, 13:23
1
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:51) correct 39% (01:57) wrong based on 634 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT


(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.

(B) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.

(C) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.

(D) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.

(E) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

Originally posted by ritula on 08 Oct 2008, 19:12.
Last edited by Bunuel on 07 Jan 2019, 13:23, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1586
Re: #Top150 CR: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 23:32
6
The OA should definitely be changed to C, as many have noted.

This has nothing to do with whether $200K is a lot of money. That's all relative, and the GMAT won't expect us to make a determination based on that. However, knowing about the money the publisher already received does nothing to help us assess the soundness of the publisher's plan, which involves reprinting the book. The $200K is already in the bank--the question is whether the reprinted novel will sell well.

D is a clear strengthener. It shows that the novel has recently gotten some good free publicity. This may have a positive impact on sales of the reprint. (Note that this is a reprinting on the old novel, not a new book entirely as someone above suggested.)
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
General Discussion
GMAT Tutor
avatar
G
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1827
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2010, 01:36
4
I don't see how the answer could possibly be D. C is the only answer that seems reasonable; the money the publisher earned from selling production rights has nothing at all to do with its plan to reprint the novel.
_________________
GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9789
Location: Pune, India
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 19:59
2
Vips0000 wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(B)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(E)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

Looking for some expert comments on choice C and D. I'm not convinced with OE.


What is the publisher's plan? Print a new edition - make it hit the stands the week the movie premieres.

What doesn't support the success of the plan?

(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
How will this make his plan successful? He received some money when he sold the production rights to the film studio. It's all done and dusted. It has nothing to do with his plan of printing and selling the book.

(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
This helps his plan. This will create more hype for the novel. He will possibly sell more books. Whether it will actually help or not, we don't know. It certainly does support the plan of cashing in on the success of the movie.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 560
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 20:06
1
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.
(B)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.
(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
(E)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.

Looking for some expert comments on choice C and D. I'm not convinced with OE.


What is the publisher's plan? Print a new edition - make it hit the stands the week the movie premieres.

What doesn't support the success of the plan?

(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.
How will this make his plan successful? He received some money when he sold the production rights to the film studio. It's all done and dusted. It has nothing to do with his plan of printing and selling the book.

(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.
This helps his plan. This will create more hype for the novel. He will possibly sell more books. Whether it will actually help or not, we don't know. It certainly does support the plan of cashing in on the success of the movie.


Thats right. so it must be C?
so you too do not agree with OA D..

OE:
'C' :- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' :- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.

_________________
Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9789
Location: Pune, India
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 20:26
2
Vips0000 wrote:
Thats right. so it must be C?
so you too do not agree with OA D..

OE:
'C' :- The fact that the publisher has already received a form of profit from the link of novel and movie supports the soundness of the plan.
'D' :- Although the actress’s high opinion of the novel may add interest in the eyes of the public, it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan.


Yes, (C) has no bearing on the plan. It must be (C)
We can easily argue that option (A) - 'The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.' may also add interest in the eyes of the public; it has no direct bearing on the soundness of the publisher’s plan. Similarly, (B) and (E) talk about other books and movies. We don't know whether this book will follow that precedent.
All the options only give more hope to the publisher as does (D). (C) doesn't.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
SVP
SVP
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1871
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2015, 00:05
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.
The publisher intends to use the anticipated success of the film to promote the new book edition.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT

(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.This stamp would promote the book (and the movie).
(B)Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released. Provides evidence for the publisher's prediction.
(C)The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio. The film is beneficial to the publisher, but not necessarily to the novel.
(D)The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.This would promote the novel.
(E)Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked. Provides evidence for the publisher's prediction.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 272
Location: India
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 23:49
1
"C " is very relevant to the context. If the publisher received money after selling the production rights to the studio it implies that the novel still has its popularity otherwise the film studio would not have bothered to pay such a huge amount to the publisher. Hence this answer choice proves that his plan to capitalize on the success of the film is quite sound.
_________________
Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2854
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2016, 04:45
1
Responding to a PM sent by Nez......

Correct: C

The argument claims that success of the film would boost the sale of book (Capitalization on success of the film means that the success of the movie would boost the sale of the book). Hence we need to find out the option that does NOT relate the success of film to success of the book (This is an EXCEPT question).

A. Printing “now a major motion picture” helps support the sale of the book. Therefore the release of the film (and its subsequent success) is related to the sale of the book…..eliminate.

B. Release of the biography of an author favored sale of his books. If release of biography boosts sales, then the story itself would probably boost sales more because the story itself is more related to the book than the biography is. Hence this statement also supports a relation between the release of the movie and the sale of the book…. eliminate.

C. CORRECT. It does not matter whether the publisher received money or not. Even if the publisher did not receive money, the book could still be a hit because of the movie. This option does not relate the “success” of the movie with the sale of the book. The author already capitalized on the sale of production right. This has nothing to do with whether the book would be successful because of success of the movie.

D. The actress of the movie gives positive feedback. Positive feedback favours the sale of book. Thus the movie release is linked to the success of the book…eliminate.

E. Similar incident occurred last year, hence supports the argument. If a boost in sales happened for an unpopular book, it is more probable that a popular book would be successful. Thus this statement too links the release of the movie to sale of the book... eliminate.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 113
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 18:08
sayantanc2k wrote:
Responding to a PM sent by Nez......

Correct: C

The argument claims that success of the film would boost the sale of book (Capitalization on success of the film means that the success of the movie would boost the sale of the book). Hence we need to find out the option that does NOT relate the success of film to success of the book (This is an EXCEPT question).

A. Printing “now a major motion picture” helps support the sale of the book. Therefore the release of the film (and its subsequent success) is related to the sale of the book…..eliminate.

B. Release of the biography of an author favored sale of his books. If release of biography boosts sales, then the story itself would probably boost sales more because the story itself is more related to the book than the biography is. Hence this statement also supports a relation between the release of the movie and the sale of the book…. eliminate.

C. CORRECT. It does not matter whether the publisher received money or not. Even if the publisher did not receive money, the book could still be a hit because of the movie. This option does not relate the “success” of the movie with the sale of the book. The author already capitalized on the sale of production right. This has nothing to do with whether the book would be successful because of success of the movie.

D. The actress of the movie gives positive feedback. Positive feedback favours the sale of book. Thus the movie release is linked to the success of the book…eliminate.

E. Similar incident occurred last year, hence supports the argument. If a boost in sales happened for an unpopular book, it is more probable that a popular book would be successful. Thus this statement too links the release of the movie to sale of the book... eliminate.


How does "B" support or is neutral. It says that the last time another publisher published the book two weeks after the movie. This publisher - -one mentioned in argument- is planning to publish in the same week as that of the release of movie.
Hence, B gives a precedent plan which had been successful but the current plan is different from the precedent one & hence the plan's success can not be assured. Hence B weakens.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 386
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 01:15
I don't understand how can one just assume that if a movie on biography has been a bit leading to sales in the author's book, a movie based on a novel will also lead to hike in sales. It seems like too much of assumption.

Moreover, C is talking about the money that the author is getting...it still has got something to do with capitalisation from the movie based on the novel. B should be the answer.

Either the source of this question is inauthentic or the answer needs some discussion and revision. I don't agree with C being the answer. It is so illogical.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 113
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 19:13
SonalSinha803 wrote:
I don't understand how can one just assume that if a movie on biography has been a bit leading to sales in the author's book, a movie based on a novel will also lead to hike in sales. It seems like too much of assumption.

Moreover, C is talking about the money that the author is getting...it still has got something to do with capitalisation from the movie based on the novel. B should be the answer.

Either the source of this question is inauthentic or the answer needs some discussion and revision. I don't agree with C being the answer. It is so illogical.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


We can go an extra distance to link the hints. Even getting funds as in C, can also support the publisher to give enough funds for publisher to be able to launch the book- I know however that it is not mentioned that the publisher is short of funds.
How is B supporting the argument. Worst case B is neutral if not weakening.
Sayantanc2k has gone even farther(than I did) for B creating that the if novel(last year) of the author(on whom the movie was based) become popular then the launch this year of the book on which the current movie is based will become even more popular. I feel this is assuming more than what I assumed.

The actress mentioning the love for novel in the interview will help in marketing. I too do not agree with the OA-D

Can you help in proving information given in B supports the plan. If we can't then falls into EXCEPT category.
IMO - B
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 113
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 19:17
How does B support & is hence eliminated.
Sayantanc2k has assumed too much to eliminate it. If this much can be assumed, the answer could be C also.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59125
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 02:09
ritula wrote:
A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a novel that, though it was a bestseller when first published, has been out of print for nearly fifteen years. Hoping to capitalize on the anticipated success of the film, the publisher who owns the copyright on the novel plans to print a new edition to be made available the same week the film premieres.

EACH of the following, if true, supports the soundness of the publisher’s plan to capitalize on the success of the film EXCEPT


(A) The publisher has received permission from the film studio to stamp the words “Now a major motion picture” on the cover of each book.

(B) Last year a new edition of a novel that had been out of print hit the bestseller lists two weeks after a movie biography of its author was released.

(C) The publisher received two hundred thousand dollars after selling the production rights to the film studio.

(D) The actress playing the lead in the film has discussed her love for the novel in nationally televised interviews.

(E) Last year a new edition of an unpopular novel was adapted into a top-grossing film, and sales of the book spiked.


This question was revised. New version is here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/v21-259900.html

TOPIC IS LOCKED.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2018, 02:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A major film studio announced the release date of a movie based on a

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne