Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Help needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Verbal Help needed [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 08:01
I have been on this forum for a while but this is my first time to post something on it. I took the GMAT yesterday with a score of 610 (Q48 V25). I have to admitted that I didn't prepare well enough for it as I only went through the 8 Manhattan sets and two CAT pre-exams. I'm taking the next Gmat exam in a bout a month. I wonder what I could do to improve my Verbal?

The resources I have at hand that I haven't utilized are Manhattan 6 CAT exams, OG verbal and OG12. I can go through the verbal part of the Manhattan sets too. I wonder if it's enough for me to increase my verbal to at least 40 or do I need to purchase more materials such as Aristotle Prep SC Grail and The Powerscore On-Demand Course?

Thank you very much for your valuable advises!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Verbal Help needed [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 08:54
You can improve a lot in one month man :)
Go through the verbal books in the Manhattan Series and solve questions from the OG!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: Verbal Help needed [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 09:09
You have a good score on the Quant section so you don't to worry on that front. Since you're targetting 40 on the Verbal section, you need to improve by another 15 points and frankly speaking this kind of improvement is a tad difficult within one month. However, as you said that you didn't prepare at all on your attempt, so your score of 25 might not be an actual reflection of your capabilities and you may get your desired score. However you'll need to be very systematic in your preparation.
Regarding the books you have mentioned, MGMAT SC Guide is a good book but as you'll read here most of the people prefer using it in conjuction with the SC Grail. Using both books together will really crystallize your concepts. For CR,Powerscore CR Bible is supposed to be better than MGMAT CR Guide but I think you should be fine with MGMAT CR Guide if you already have it.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Verbal Help needed [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 14:40
Thank you men!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Verbal Help needed [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 07:57
I'm in a similar boat, I've hit a ceiling at V35. I've only scored above 40 once, in about 8 CATs, and my mistakes are somewhat random, I am getting the 700-800 questions, but often it's hard to get a few of them right in a row to keep the ball rolling up to V40, also i think RCs are slowing me down :) but good luck to you sir, love to hear if you can do V15 points in one month that would sure be something. :) I went from V22 to V41 in about 40 days, but again, those are only two individual scores my average for V is more like 34-35.

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Re: Verbal Help needed   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2011, 07:57