Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Prep Study Plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Verbal Prep Study Plan [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 20:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone,

I have 5 weeks to go till test date. Quant is very much under control. However, Verbal is annother story. My verbal score has been stagnant for quite sometime - 28 - 29. For the rest of my prep time, I am thinking of concentrating on Verbal mostly. I will keep in touch with Quant by doing some questions every 2 - 3 days.

For Verbal, I was thinking of spending almost a week on each major topic starting with SC, CR and finally RC. My biggest issue with verbal is timing. I seem to take very long on CR and RC. Is it a better idea to concentrate on each topic or to mix up the prep by doing a bit of everything? This is my dilemma at the moment.

I have the 3 MGMAT verbal guides + OG Verbal Review + OG 12 + GMAT pill verbal

Any suggestions with respect to timing would be great. should I be practicing with a stop watch allowing 2 mins for each qs? Any tips on summarizing RC passages?

Thanks for your help!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal Prep Study Plan [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 04:56
This post received
KUDOS
Your score is only as good as your weakest section.

Figure out what verbal subsection is affecting you the most. Dedicate time there and figure out how to improve (lots of tips from books, folks here, etc.). Move on to other subsections and continue to do practice problems and mock tests to evaluate improvement.

One note on timing: Timing is about averages, not time per problem. When doing practice problems, do them in blocks and make sure your average time is on point to finish the exam. Your timing will always vary: easier SC problems should take no more than a minute, longer RC passages will push your average up due to reading the passage, more difficult CR problems might take up to the full allotment, but lower ranked problems should be not take much time, etc..

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Verbal Prep Study Plan   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2011, 04:56