Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Week off from study

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 20

Week off from study [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 17:23
Hi guys,

Looking through the study plan thread and from what most people recommend I've built a study plan that is based on roughly a 10 week schedule.
I'm in the second week of study and plan to take the exam mid/end of November.

However, I have a holiday booked in week 8 which lasts for around 9 days (booked about 6 months for my wife's 30th so can't really change it). I don't want to lose momentum and, I'm planning on bringing my ntoes and the MGMAT SC book to read while on my trip but the amount of time to read those will be limited. Has anyone taken a week off before in the middle and has it adversely affected their study at all?

I know it's not the same, but taking a week off sports/gym training can often let your body recover so you're fresh the following week. I'm hoping it's the same effect. If anyone has any experiences or advice to share that would be appreciated.

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Week off from study [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 19:05
Hello yangsta8,

Assuming you see steady progress in your prep, you should be fine taking a week off for this planned trip.
One of the keys to success on the GMAT is benefiting from the time spent on prep. Too often, people (like myself) study aimlessly for extended periods of time and see no return on the investment.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9466 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Week off from study [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 23:41
Expert's post
Great question. May depend on the person, but for me, it would negatively affect me if I skipped 9 days and never thought about GMAT. I remember the week after I took GMAT (at that point you never think of it again and basically ready to erase it from memory), I was already forgetting most of the traps I have learned, collected, and tried to remember so dearly. Thus, I would recommend that you perhaps get up earlier (best case) and spend an hour/day to review/study or perhaps you can do it while she is at the pool (don't recommend studying at the pool - it is useless :) - i tried and could never remember anything I read).

Of course Mohater brings a good subject - most of us here don't dare take a 5 min bathroom break while we cram and may have benefited from a little break.

I think you should set the expectations with your wife and plan your schedule accordingly. Unless she is as unreasonable as mine, you should be able to negotiate something - afterall, there is a good chance you may either 1)Afford more vacations due to an MBA or 2)Retire earlier.

Of course, after you get an MBA, you probably won't have time to take any vacations and you won't ever retire, but don't tell her that quite yet ;)

Have fun!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Week off from study [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 23:58
If you're flying or taking a train etc. you should bring a book or laptop to do problems. I always find time to do work or study on vacations even if just for a few minutes a day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 20

Re: Week off from study [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 00:20
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Well for me personally, I won't be able to forget about the GMAT really because I haven't taken it yet and the guilt of taking a holiday will be in the back of my mind. In fact, I actually think it will decrease the enjoyment factor of my holiday but it's a decision I have chosen so I'll live with.

Great tips though. I think I'll just bring my notes that I've written, some books and try to do an hour each day. I find there's pretty much downtime in every holiday so you can always squeeze an hour in here and there and that might be enough to get me through. I'll read up during trains/planes as well.

Normally I would have preferred to have a more focused 2month study schedule and I intentionally budgeted 3 months just so I can recover and get back into the GMAT groove following my trip so I guess we'll see how it goes.

If I end up getting into the school I want, my wife will probably get a whole year off anyway so she really has nothing to complain about :-D but that may not be the way she sees it haha
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 370 [0], given: 182

Re: Week off from study [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 16:17
Make use of flashcards, GMAT iPhone apps along the way to keep you in touch with your GMAT studies.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Current Student

Re: Week off from study [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 16:18
Make use of flashcards, GMAT iPhone apps along the way to keep you in touch with your GMAT studies.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Current Student

Re: Week off from study [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 16:18

Thanks,
PraPon

Re: Week off from study   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2012, 16:18