Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What to Wear at the Information Session?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 16:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A few schools are coming to make presentations in Houston, do I need to wear a suit or would long-sleeves and black pants be acceptable?

Also, what to wear to the MBA Tour and is it even worth attending? What can I expect?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 16:36
jb32 wrote:
A few schools are coming to make presentations in Houston, do I need to wear a suit or would long-sleeves and black pants be acceptable?

Also, what to wear to the MBA Tour and is it even worth attending? What can I expect?

I went to an info session in LA a few weeks ago. I would say 70% of the people were in business casual (slacks and dress shirt), 25% had suits or sport coats, and 5% showed up wearing t-shirts or other non-business attire (primarily college senior applicants and the creative types).

I would assume this will be the norm. I stick with business casual for these but I may throw on a blazer here and there if I'm in the mood.

I plan to skip the MBA Tour. It seems like every school under the sun attends that thing. I'm not sure if it would add much value.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 16:45
Most of the people wearing suits are going to be those showing up directly from jobs where they were wearing that all day. Business casual is pretty much the standard look.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 17:10
I went to sessions at Chicago GSB and Kellogg; most people there were business casual. A few had blazers and slacks but they were definitely outnumbered. I went the more conservative end of business casual (skirt and button-down) and was fine.

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 17:38
When I attended a few info sessions last year I went the business casual route. The majority of the people there did the same.

Is business casual OK for campus visits?
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 17:55
YihWei wrote:
When I attended a few info sessions last year I went the business casual route. The majority of the people there did the same.

Is business casual OK for campus visits?

for campus visits business casual is ok if you are not interviewing. If you are interviewing then you need to wear a suit - even for the class visit and info session parts of the day.

Here's how I see it:
Info Session or MBA Tour - Business Casual
Campus Vist, No Interview - Business Casual
Campus Visit, With Interview - Suit
Alumni Interview - Suit. Many will say that business casual is ok for an alumni interview at a coffee shop or something but I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed. Plus a suit makes you look good, professional and confident so you might as well wear one.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 13:40
business casual. i think a suit is a little too overdressed. in fact, if i was going straight from work and i was wearing a suit, i'd take off he jacket and tie. you want to be approachable and cool, not overly professional.

just don't wear a casual t-shirt. our Wharton events are usually at very nice hotels (e.g. the Penninsula in Beverly Hills, etc.) and you would really stand out if you were that casual.

for interviews, i always wear a suit...even if it's with an alumnus at a coffee shop, etc. it's just better to play it safe.

RVD.

My Wharton Blog - http://www.whartonblog.com
Wharton MBA for Executives Ambassador - http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t66295
My Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/102-t49770

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 14:45
For all events without an interview just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Nobody will care if you wear a suit, jeans, or slacks. For sure none of the adcoms will remember your face or what u wore that day and least your name.

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 17:33
dress as you like

there are 50+ students in a room or event. max 2 ad coms. They dont know you nor will remember you.

There is no dress code in information sessions. Having attended all information sessions for almost all the schools, I dont see any difference.

t shirts + jeans, business casual.. anything works as long as it is not ridiculous, obscene or derogatory.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 19:20
JB what presentations are you going to? I signed up for Wharton but had to cancel due to an emergency that requires me to fly across country. I know I signed up for Yale, and Columbia as well, it is always nice knowing someone there.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 19:37
LSU, I'm going to the MBA Tour on Thursday, Wharton on Friday, Chicago on the 9th, and Columbia on the 16th. I may go to Stern on September 24th as well. Looks like I will see you at Columbia.
Re: What to Wear at the Information Session?   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2008, 19:37