Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

why is everyone here so nice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
i didnt know where else to post this topic. the question in the title is obviously meant to be humorous - i for one am not complaining about how nice people here are! i just wanted to point out how this is the complete OPPOSITE from what i've seen in forums for other specialties. for example, my girlfriend is applying to dental school, so she regularly visits medical and dental forums. the people there range from unhelpful to downright mean. when people post their test scores, if they're not particularly high, you'll get 5-10 responses from people telling them to just quit and that they'll never get into any school :roll:

on the contrary, people here seem to be tripping over themselves to offer support to anyone who asks for it. personally, i'm glad everyone here is so nice. it makes for a much better community of posters 8-)

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 03:09
From the little I've seen here, this place does look friendly. I agree that it is not the most common thing for an internet forum. Obviously, this forum aims for more mature and educated people which results in less pointless (but unfortunately very familiar) internet 'ego wars' and aggression.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 432 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
Good question. I think its because this site tries less to be a "forum" and more to be a "community." Also the moderators are vigilant and enforce the policy of "be nice" regularly. Its certainly quite different from business week forums.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 11:10
I think the main reason stems from what this site is designed to do.

We're not pimping our cars (well we might be, but we're not talking about it).
We're not trying to score deals to flip things on ebay for a profit
We're not looking to capture the next screenshot for failblog or something like that

The only negative aspect of this site is when people are dissatisfied with great scores (680+) and show disdain for such a score. I sure there are many who that think to themselves "I would LOVE to have that score" when stumbling upon such a thread.

Other than that, this site thrives on the individual successes, as that's how others benefit in future. The goal of this site is in line with the goals of the people who post here.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 11:20
true, but the medical and dental forums are supposed to be doing the same thing as this one. however, the quality of posts and information is about the opposite of what you'd see here.

i agree that people in most general online forums are d-bags, but even comparing between pre-graduate school forums, the people posting here seem nicer than others. i do agree with bsdlover's post though

GMAT Debrief

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 781

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 15:52
we just keep the not so nice people out. share what you know and be nice. that is all i have ever asked from members. Unfortunately, the few who dont get it have to leave.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2239

Kudos [?]: 8454 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 19:41
Expert's post
shadowsjc wrote:

i agree that people in most general online forums are d-bags

:lol: May I add that we also don't have a personal life since we hang out online on Sat Night?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 667 [0], given: 781

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 21:29
bb wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:

i agree that people in most general online forums are d-bags

:lol: May I add that we also don't have a personal life since we hang out online on Sat Night?

:oops:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 12:00
Yeah! people here are so nice. This is such a good forum to learn about B-school and GMAT.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 29

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 16:27
This post received
KUDOS
It’s very funny but I was thinking the same thing myself as I trolled through the forums. I am amazed at some of the tools people build must have taken immense time and effort and are just offered for free. I really think that the people who regularly contribute to the site do not represent the majority of type A business school capitalist who idolize Gordon Gekko. I think people on this site are genuinely altruistic and generous.

Further the forum offers an opportunity for people to exhibit their ingenuity, intellectual capacity and mastery of the GMAT and to receive praise for their efforts and scores. There is a great deal of social reinforcement on the site and no lack of mutual ego stroking and plenty of primate grooming behavior! I would love to hear “thank you so much and you are the greatest thing since slice bread or awesome score, how did you do it” all day.

Also note worthy is that I have taken a class through a private instructor in Los Angeles named Charles Trent. I have to say the people in the class where also very helpful and generous. In fact a few of still communicate regularly and discuss GMAT strategies as well as study together.

So maybe its this, those of us who need to study diligently because we have to ensure we score in a school 80% average are those that need the most help, if not the most friends. People who are either naturally super intelligent and can close their eyes and score 700+ or those “blue chippers” with their illustrious backgrounds and connections and don’t need help, do not need to be friendly and are thus not on this site!

Just a thought….

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny - Elaine Maxwell

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 20:17
I wonder how many people in your MBA class would recognize your GMAT Club handle... It would be funny to write your GMAT Club handle on your name tag on orientation day!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 18:55
This post received
KUDOS
This is the first forum site on which I've actively participated. I wouldn't bother to log in if attitudes were negative. The reality is that we're all trying to get somewhere. Why not support each other if connectivity and collaboration could lend to reaching desired destinations efficiently and confidently? I am thankful for this site and the collective resourcefulness of members. Kudos to GMC. :)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 16:06
This post received
KUDOS
I just joined a couple of days ago even though I've known about GMAT Club and used the tests while I was prepping for the exam. Just have to say that the title of this post is EXACTLY what has been running through my head-most people seem very even-keeled and mature. When I was prepping to go to law school in the early aughts I used to peruse the law school message threads (it wasn't set up as a message board as such) at Princetown Review and they were incredibly vicious and there were always these semi-hysterical kerfuffles going on. Like the time someone claimed to have gotten into Yale with a 157 LSAT and every thread regular basically rose up and accused the individual of...well, the less I say about the racism the better. Anyway, it all ended up with this person faxing his acceptance to several people and the whole thing was very weird. I did meet a few of my future classmates on it, though, and we started a pre-school yahoo message group.

Anyway, my pre-law school experience is why I stayed far far far away from the gmatclub forums during my whole Round 1 application process.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
I agree. This place is so supportive unlike businessweek forum which is full of arrogant people, trolls, and generally people who find pleasure from attacking others.

Keep it up GC
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 5

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
this forum is simply hands down the best place for information covering everything from finding a career to the GMAT to MBA apps to pre-MBA life to the MBA itself to finding a job afterwards. i told all my friends that they should start using the forums now and it'll cover them until they're out of business school.

i'm actually very glad to have found the wealth of information and experiences people are willing to share on here. a lot of people just disappear after they're admitted into a program. but here, everyone keeps on coming back and build up a network of current MBA students that is so valuable to future students.

thanks guys for making this a great forum. i really hope to contribute more as i work through my MBA next year and afterwards.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 07:01
DrSatisfaction wrote:
this forum is simply hands down the best place for information covering everything from finding a career to the GMAT to MBA apps to pre-MBA life to the MBA itself to finding a job afterwards. i told all my friends that they should start using the forums now and it'll cover them until they're out of business school.

i'm actually very glad to have found the wealth of information and experiences people are willing to share on here. a lot of people just disappear after they're admitted into a program. but here, everyone keeps on coming back and build up a network of current MBA students that is so valuable to future students.

thanks guys for making this a great forum. i really hope to contribute more as i work through my MBA next year and afterwards.

Yes yes ... but we still need some people to lay down the law. No spoon feeding!!!!

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 07:59
one thing which is definitely noteworthy about this forum is that the members are intellectual and at the same time down to earth and willing to help others, which is not a very usual combination that one generally finds in people.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 08:26
i think its only bcoz the precedence set was nice... now when a newbie joins and gets full support, he is inclined to provide support to others in return, even if he is bad mouthing in other forums... u try to help someone back when someone helps u...
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [2] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Question: Why is everyone here so nice?
Answer: I'm deathly afraid that I might get banned.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 105 [1] , given: 13

Re: why is everyone here so nice? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 21:08
This post received
KUDOS
I've started using this site pretty recently (joined a while ago and was dormant) and I'm already getting drawn to this site like no other. I think its the concept itself which is unique, I haven't seen too many other forums that have such great infrastructure, besides having a whole host of great members who actively respond.
But with all that said, I think what truly distinguishes this forum is the fact that most members here have actually proven themselves and that inspires the new joinees.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Re: why is everyone here so nice?   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2010, 21:08