Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wipe off board

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 08:49
raptr wrote:
So, it is possible (physically) to erase stuff from the sheets? Meaning, it is not a permanent marker.
If I ask for an extra marker or extra sheets in the beginning, will they give me?

raptr,

they won't give you more in the beginning, but if you run out just raise your hand and you will get another booklet. trust me, you are worrying about something insignificant. like you, i worried about the booklet... but trust me you will have PLENTY of space to go through the Q section. If you use more than the 10 pages you either have really large handwriting or you are doing something wrong (i.e. doing calculations when they aren't necessary etc) you can always swap it out inbetween Q and V.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 09:02
Quote:
It's interesting, I wasn't told that I wasn't allowed to erase anything.

and
Quote:
I wore a hoodie sweatshirt to the exam, and when I ran out of space on my sheets I simply wiped my shirt arm across it to erase. Presto! New sheet w/o waiting for those proctors to come around. Time is precious.

Now see, I was specifially told by the proctor as he handed me the sheets that I was not allowed to erase anything. I'm not quite sure what the reasoning behind that is, but oh well...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2007, 11:47
ishcabibble wrote:
Quote:
It's interesting, I wasn't told that I wasn't allowed to erase anything.

and
Quote:
I wore a hoodie sweatshirt to the exam, and when I ran out of space on my sheets I simply wiped my shirt arm across it to erase. Presto! New sheet w/o waiting for those proctors to come around. Time is precious.

Now see, I was specifially told by the proctor as he handed me the sheets that I was not allowed to erase anything. I'm not quite sure what the reasoning behind that is, but oh well...

Here is what I have concluded: I spoke with several people who took the test last week here in Atlanta at a Pearson Testing Center. All of them were allowed to erase if they so chose (although it wasn't recommended). Each of them specifically asked if they were allowed to erase and for each the answer was yes.

Another note, they all mentioned that the booklets they received were all legal size paper and they had PLENTY of room.

Hope that helps some of you out there.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 01:05
entranced wrote:
It's interesting, I wasn't told that I wasn't allowed to erase anything. I smudged only a couple of times when I miswrote a number or something. The marker is similar to a vis-a-vis or any other overhead marker. It rubs off a little on your hand, but comes off easily with liquid .. well, given the circumstances, saliva. The sheets themselves surprised me a little bit because they're I think, pretty close to legal size (longer) pages. I ended up using the booklet horizontally. When I practiced, I always put the keyboard out of the way after the AWA and put my scratch paper in its place. I made sure to ask first, but they had no problem with me putting the keyboard up on the PC when I did my quant. section.

I sure hope no one is using a board you used !! haha...
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 01:54
The board is enough, I usually write in BIG letters so I used all the 10 pages for the Q section.

My hands were blue after the test as the ink does not dry...
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 05:50
I never practiced with anything other than pencil and paper, and I had no problems on test day. I think I had 5 pages left over, and that was after using it for the AWA notes and for quant. They also changed out my notepad when I entered for the Verbal. Therefore, if you use it on both the quant and verbal, it shouldn't be an issue because you can get a new pad at your break. The only thing I had to be more wary of was making sure I wrote legibly, as the marker is not as fine as a pencil, but its close enough. If you know you're ready for the test, and confident about how you've studied, the marker and pad will not throw you off on test day.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 05:10
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 07:48
A little bit off topic. I heard someone started writing an answer grid nefore he started he verbal part of his exam. Can we do this? Write stuff in our sheets before we start the exam? If so, how much or what?

Second, can I write something in my hand during the test? Namely a, b, c, d, e on each of my fingers?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 09:55
asdert wrote:
A little bit off topic. I heard someone started writing an answer grid nefore he started he verbal part of his exam. Can we do this? Write stuff in our sheets before we start the exam? If so, how much or what?

Second, can I write something in my hand during the test? Namely a, b, c, d, e on each of my fingers?

yea we can mark up the pad before we start a section. thats why everyone was talking about "the grid" to eliminate answers. too cumbersome for my tastes.

can anyone verify that the mgmat scratch pad link is close enuogh to the real thing? i havent taken the GMAt yet so i dont know for sure...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 10:43
bmwhype2, but how much can we write? Can I sit there and write a few formulas before I click start?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2007, 22:52
If you get extra time left after your awa, u can write what u want on the scratch pad. Just don't submit the AWA, if u have extra time. Prepare ur scratch pad for the next section.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 00:33
I too had fear for writing pad and pen, how it looks like and how it works. But I enjoyed working on it. Its exactly like how we write on long note book with pen. The pen is as usual sketch-pen. Its not very thick or thin. Its bit bold. The pads have around 10 pages which is group together usin spiral binding. U can hold it vertacally. Two pads are sufficient for quant section. In verbal and AWA section, I don't think, anybody needs any pad to write down.

Don't worry guys for pads and pen. Its of good qualities. Before starting exam u can double check whether its working fine or not. Don't take any tension of it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 03:41
I found that the marker was very permanent, its not something you can easily erase.
I used up all 9 sides. Towards the end I was just using it to map out some verbal logic, though.

Rather than worry about whether you can erase it, wasting time spitting on your sweatshirt sleeve, I would simply raise my hand when I am on my 2nd to last page, they can give you another 10 page book quite easily.

The marker is not the greatest though, I left it uncapped for a few minutes during the essay section, it dries out quickly.

There HAS to be a better way to do this. But its slightly annoying more than anything.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

Re: Wipe off board [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 03:41
Could someone please provide a link for where to buy a similar fine-tip dry-erase pen?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 6

Re: Wipe off board [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 07:00
I was also wondering about extra markers. You can order them on the manhattangmat website, but do any brick & mortar stores sell them? Also, the actual marker says REFILLABLE, but I have no idea how to refill this thing.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Wipe off board [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 09:14
Just a plastic sheet with a marker...
no need to purchase from them...
you can get it from staples if you want
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: Wipe off board [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 18:54
@I3igDmsu

You can buy the dry erase pens at http://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitemshow.cfm?ItemID=178&catid=8
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

Re: Wipe off board [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 11:43
I'm looking to buy the marker from a local store. Please provide details on the marker, size of the tip (in mm), etc. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 6

Re: Wipe off board [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 08:25
I've also been looking at local stores but no place I've gone to has them. I've been to 2 Staples, Office Depot, & an art supply store. Your best bet might be to just buy them from mgmat. The closest thing I found were these dry-erase Expo markers that are Fine tip.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [2] , given: 2

Re: Wipe off board [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 18:40
This post received
KUDOS
I finally received the markers from Manhattan GMAT. Not sure why no one has posted the pen information previously, but here is the description to save others a little bit of money possibly.

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_non_ ... .Staedtler
The pen is a Staedtler non-permanent Lumocolor - S
Art No. 311-9

That should be all the info you need to purchase them from an online vendor.
Re: Wipe off board   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2009, 18:40