Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

writing process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 05:53
Praetorian wrote:
Be careful about talking to admitted members about their essays. It is a personal thing for most students and they have every right to decline participation.

Absolutely. In essays some times we write really personal things. We might be willing to share, but other members might not. They are equally right when they decline their participation.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 07:03
I'm struggling with an issue related to the essay -

For the past 12 years, I have been heavily involved in the independent (and when I say that, I mean REALLY small/independent, not "popular indie" stuff) punk music scene. We work with a lot of small local venues (community centers, etc...) to put on shows. We contact bands, design fliers and do all our own advertising/promotion, let the bands sleep on our floors, travel all over to see shows, etc...

It is probably one of the most important things in my life and a big part of who I am, and I feel all the experiences and skills I have gained from being part of this would apply to a lot of essay questions I've read.

My problem, however, is that the reason this community exists is because there are lots of people like me who see a lot of popular music and culture as fake and cheap, and am not a fan of the corporate takeover of bands, venues, ticket sellers, etc... This community provides a home for people who want to start bands who are honest and sing (er, scream) about real issues, individuality, bettering yourself, etc...

Now, I don't have a problem with business or corporations in general, or else I wouldn't be interested in pursuing an MBA. However, by talking about this, I don't want to come across as some uneducated anti-business commie, which unfortunately is the stereotype of people involved with it. I guess I don't want to somehow "offend" the adcoms. I know you are supposed to avoid "political" issues in essays, and honestly, I don't view this as one, but I could see how others may construe it as that.

Any thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 08:14
Hi jj,

you can still talk about your cool indie music scene without having to slam the big business music industry. Remember the key rule of essay writing, BE POSITIVE.

So for example, you want to talk about why you and other indie artists started this grassroot movement. Say it's because you and the other artists saw a void in the music regarding honest issues, and you want to explore those types of music/lyrics. You can also point out some business practices that are not the most efficient or business decisions that aren't thought out well by the big corp music industry, and that's why this movement exists.

If you can critique businesses and say how you can do it better in a very detailed and positive way, you show to the adcoms that you have thought about business, thought about how to improve it, and actually went and DID what you believe in. That's a HUGE deal.

So yeah, you won't sound like a "commie" if you portray your reasonings in your essay with a positive slant, and you can still get your experiences across while showing your maturity in understanding of the music business.

Hope that helps!
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 08:29
I agree with kryzak. It's upto you to sound as someone who saw some void in the way music-business handles music (Focusing much more on popular and anything-goes music), thus leaving an open space (i.e. an opportunity) for indie musicians / music-fans like you to run shows, contact bands and run advertisements for this less industrialized form of music. None of this sounds like a commie.

And when you write about it, always always keep in mind that your criticism of the music-business industry should stay at the opportunity that they never captured. Never bash the corporate world or businesses in general .. even indirectly.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 09:13
Awesome advice, thanks. I think my experience is definitely unique and will help set me apart a bit. Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: writing process [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 08:08
Hi Guys

I have been reading up on application tips and Essay best practices and have found these threads extremely helpful

I have been working in government sector consulting and was a part of some engagements with country wide social impact just wanted to know whether I can use this experience to discount for the fact that I am not involved in much community work.

I have personally seen many applicants from India just doing community work for the sake of mentioning it in their application. Would I be significantly disadvantaged as all the community work I did was during my undergraduate studies (4 years)

GMAT 720(94%) (Q 49(87%) V 39(87%))

Re: writing process   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2010, 08:08