Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1000 CR question- must be true type

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 27

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 01:02
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:
First of all, 1000 series have multiple mistakes in answer choices, so don't be shy to think logically and prove your answer choice.

Let me try.

The main statement is: Next generations WILL hear ALL who keep journals. - it is strong statement and narrows down the scope of argument.
Paraphrase it: If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you.
Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists.
Ok so far?

Lets see how can we eliminate the answer choices.

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation. - false, as we know that "If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you "
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal. - it this trick, it is reversed statement that is not necessarily true. Too strong, "everyone"
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists. - wou really ?! what if they don't have any journal? Observe that official answer choice is wrong here.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists. yes! bingo. Remember the statement "Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists." of course there are other people who keep journals.
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them. false, as we know that "If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you "

I too conveniently marked D and agree with Pkit here. D is the best choice. C and B are strong bcos of words like "will", "everyone". D is the best inference which you can make out of the argument.

Consider giving Kudos if my post helps in some way

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 09:54
After a series long discussion , I will not post who is right or wrong. As stated before, both C and D looks promising.

(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists.
Yes !! it will. Reason: insufferable egotists and true artists carry a journal.

(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.
True: Because of lines... All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation.Some of these journal writers are ... TA,HO and E. So, if some of them belong to these 3 groups, there has to be another group of people and thus statement D is believed to be true.

I am absolutely sure that GMAT will not even think of having this type of debatable question in there database.There has to be a mistake in 1000 series questions. In particular,this question and its answer choices.

Your suggestions are always welcomed.

Thanks,
-V
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 23:16
I went with D because of the prompt, which says 'Some of those people who keep journals are artists etc.' So some of those who keep journals are not artists etc.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Insead '13 (A)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 16:11
Pkit wrote:
First of all, 1000 series have multiple mistakes in answer choices, so don't be shy to think logically and prove your answer choice.

Let me try.

The main statement is: Next generations WILL hear ALL who keep journals. - it is strong statement and narrows down the scope of argument.
Paraphrase it: If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you.
Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists.
Ok so far?

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.

Looking over this thread a bit more generally I think most people who doesn't believe in C are mostly forgetting one thing: the prompt asks you to identify a statement that MUST BE TRUE, and not MAY BE TRUE.

Pkit wrote:
(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation. - false, as we know that "If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you "
This statement may be true. Since some observers write journals while some do not, the ones who do not write may not be heard by the next generation. However this statement doesn't have to be true. For example, if all observers write journals then all of them will be heard. In another scenario, if even some observers do not write journals, all of them may still be heard for other reasons (this is not constrained anywhere in the prompt)
Pkit wrote:
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal. - it this trick, it is reversed statement that is not necessarily true. Too strong, "everyone"
Sure. A→B doesn't imply B→A...this is a basic logic tool that everybody must know.
Pkit wrote:
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists. - wou really ?! what if they don't have any journal? Observe that official answer choice is wrong here.
In the prompt we already know that among the ones who write journals there are some egoists and some artists. Those people will inevitably be heard. Therefore this statement must be true.
Pkit wrote:
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists. yes! bingo. Remember the statement "Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists." of course there are other people who keep journals.
This statement may be true. Since the prompt lists only 3 types of people it means there may be other people who write journals too. But...there doesn't have to be. Therefore this statement doesn't have to be true.
Pkit wrote:
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them. false, as we know that "If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you "

Where does the verb "bear" come from? This statement is out of context.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 18:05
In my opinion B and D are very close. B says everyone, but if you see the argument, it says All of those who keep journal, so basically all of those = everyone.

I see Pkit has a strong point too.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 03:11
Clearly C)
Answer D) is wrong because "SOME" from a pure logic standpoint can include ALL as "SOME" is a logical opposite of "NONE".

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
-v
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 13:42
My 2 cents.....IMOC

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 16:36
PTK wrote:

Let me try.

Ok so far?

I've written elsewhere that your reasoning for this question may not be correct. Please check this : tough-cr-86874.html#p985063
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 08:57
IMO D
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q34 V41
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 12:47
+1 C
Statement says:
1)All who write journals will be heard later
2) insufferable egotists, true artists & ...write journals in a different manner
=> All those guys who write ( insufferable egotists, true artists & ..) will be heard

So C is a Must be True or Inference answer (I don't know the difference between these two question types).

Please don't forget to give Kudos if you like my post! :-)

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2013, 12:47