Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1000 CR question- must be true type

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 5

1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 18:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

41% (02:08) correct 59% (01:53) wrong based on 60 sessions
What is the general strategy for below type of question:

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation.
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal.
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them.

Could someone explain reason for the eliminations?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 22:36
B

OA ?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 18:20
Is OA (A)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 01:51
The question has been asked before and most people voted for C.
But why not D? Why, as some say, is it out of scope? The argument does not indicate that the three categories are exhaustive. Wouldn't that mean that some people have not been categorized?
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 01:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First of all, 1000 series have multiple mistakes in answer choices, so don't be shy to think logically and prove your answer choice.

Let me try.

The main statement is: Next generations WILL hear ALL who keep journals. - it is strong statement and narrows down the scope of argument.
Paraphrase it: If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you.
Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists.
Ok so far?

Lets see how can we eliminate the answer choices.

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.
(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation. - false, as we know that "If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you "
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal. - it this trick, it is reversed statement that is not necessarily true. Too strong, "everyone"
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists. - wou really ?! what if they don't have any journal? Observe that official answer choice is wrong here.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists. yes! bingo. Remember the statement "Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists." of course there are other people who keep journals.
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them. false, as we know that "If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you "

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 169

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 03:32
Researched this question on the net, everywhere OA is C.

I picked A initially and not convinced with the OA.

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 20

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 04:25
I went with A .. it should be between A nd D .. can anyone explain better?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 06:24
come on guys, look at my explanations, if they are not compelling, prtovide yours then.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 8

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:
First of all, 1000 series have multiple mistakes in answer choices, so don't be shy to think logically and prove your answer choice.

Let me try.

The main statement is: Next generations WILL hear ALL who keep journals. - it is strong statement and narrows down the scope of argument.
Paraphrase it: If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you.
Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists.
Ok so far?

(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation. - false, as we know that "If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you "
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal. - it this trick, it is reversed statement that is not necessarily true. Too strong, "everyone"
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists. - wou really ?! what if they don't have any journal? Observe that official answer choice is wrong here.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists. yes! bingo. Remember the statement "Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists." of course there are other people who keep journals.
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them. false, as we know that "If you have a journal than next generations will hear you, if you don't they will not hear you "

Pkit, just wanna discuss y the A option is wrong..
As u pointed out, the main statement is: Next generations WILL hear ALL who keep journals. Means all those who keep journals would be heard by next generation. But nowhere is in passage, it is applied that ALL humorous observers of the commonplace keep journals. Hence, there are some humorous observers who DO NOT keep journals.

Now, looking at the option A, it says NOT ALL of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation. Isn't this correct? Can u pls explain why should we not choose A as the right option??

thnx..

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 21:58
Look for my attachment
Attachments

expl.xls [16 KiB]
Downloaded 109 times

To download please login or register as a user

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 149

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 00:23
Pkit wrote:

Let me try.

Ok so far?

Hi I think the OA C is correct.
The stimulus mentions explicitly that some of those who maintain a journal are true artists and some are insufferable egotists in all probability with 100 % guarantee.The Answer choice nowhere nowhere says that The next generation will hear all insufferable egotists and true artists.
So your question can be eliminated what if they don't have any journal?
As for D , the Powerscore Cr says that in a Must be True quest, we are not supposed to bring any outside information

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 00:25
Pkit wrote:
Look for my attachment

You are bringing outisde info into the picture while considering outside people

Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 531

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 01:40
This post received
KUDOS
mundasingh123 wrote:
Pkit wrote:
Look for my attachment

Dont agree.

Read carefully.

Some - means that there are other people except for true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists.

C is too strong (will)
В - is soft.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 02:07
Pkit wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
Pkit wrote:
Look for my attachment

Dont agree.

Read carefully.

Some - means that there are other people except for true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists.

C is too strong (will)
В - is soft.

So Now , we have to get this sentence interpreted by some Verbal expert.
AFAIK, the the 1st clause is independent of the the other 2 phrases.
Some is only in the first independent clause and has no influence on the other 2 phrases.
Had the first been a phrase then i think the Some will have an influence on the other 2 phrases

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 149

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 03:16
This post received
KUDOS
Lets get some Expert to answer this please Pkit,You have brought up a very subtle point.But i saw the encompassing "still others" to make up for the last category of people maintaining a journal.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 00:27
mundasingh123 wrote:
Lets get some Expert to answer this please Pkit,You have brought up a very subtle point.But i saw the encompassing "still others" to make up for the last category of people maintaining a journal.

Agree, let us see what experts will say.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 13:31
To me both C and D are worth a look.

Pkit's explanation why C is wrong would be spot on if C were something like "The next generation will hear ALL insufferable egotists and true artists." However, since we do not have this word in there and we know that some journal writers are insufferable egotists and true artists, then C is true to me. The way it's spelled out right now, I feel like we should interpret it along the lines of "The next generation will hear SOME insufferable egotists and true artists." I may be wrong, or the answer choices are not that well written?

D also looks true because the stimulus does not seem to be exhaustive in nature. It doesn't say: hey, you know what, all those that keep a journal fall into one of these three categories.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 01:25
I would disagree with Intern & PKIT. Clearly C is the correct answer.
For Contrapositive of 'Some A are B', is 'Some B are A' and not 'Some A are not B'. It is possible that Some A are not B but same cannot be said with certainty. eg. If I say some balls are red, it does not mean that some balls are not RED. I do not know if there are any balls other than RED.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 11:45
It is clearly C.

D is not necessary true because all the journals could be either true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.

C is necessary true because there are journals, who are egotists and true artists, that will be therefore heard by the next generation.

Please tell me if that helped or you need further explanation.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [1] , given: 169

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:

Let me try.

Ok so far?

After some time and with a fresh look, I think C is the Best answer!

The key here is the first sentence of the passage:
All those who keep a journalwill be heard by the next generation

Since it says that the next generation will hear EVERYBODY who keeps a journal, and we know that of those who keep a journal some are true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, and insufferable egotists.

from here we can be sure that (C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists

I will greatly appreciate your KUDOS my friends!

Re: 1000 CR question- must be true type   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2011, 07:45