Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2nd attempt same score...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

2nd attempt same score... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 10:14
Hi Everyone,

Would be really grateful if I can get some feedback.

I just retook the GMAT today for the second time and got the same score: 680. I took it the first time three years ago and always knew I would retake it before actually applying to business school. This time my quant improved (from 46-48) and verbal went down (37-35). However I have spent the last week studying everyday and taking lots of practice tests. I have relied solely on OG 12, GMATPREP, and MGMAT.

Here are the results of practice CATs:
9/1/09 - GMATPREP 1 - 720 (49Q,40V)
9/3/09 - MGMAT 1 - 710 (48Q,38V)
9/7/09 - MGMAT 2 - 750 (48Q,44V)
9/21/09 - GMATPREP 2 - 670 (46Q,36V)
9/22/09 - GMATPREP 1 - 2 - 720 (47Q,41V)
9/24/09 - MGMAT 3 - 730 (48Q,41V)
9/25/09 - GMATPREP 1 - 3 - 760 (48Q,47V)
9/26/09 - GMATPREP 2 - 2 - 750 (50Q,41V)
9/27/09 - GMATPREP 1 - 4 - 770 (50Q,44V)
9/28/09 - GMATPREP 2 - 3 - 770 (50Q,44V)
9/29/09 - REAL GMAT - 680 (48Q,35V)

As you can see, I retook the gmat prep cats several times because i read from several different people that it really helps, granted that towards the end I did get about 1/3 repeat questions. I am a native english speaker and actually made extra effort this time around to strengthen my verbal. During the actual test I thought i did horrible on math and actually was quite confident as I was going through verbal. Needless to say, I was quite shocked and in disbelief when I saw my score. The MGMAT scores (even if the gmatprep results were inflated) showed much better verbal. I know I can do better in verbal but I don't know if I'll be in the same situation again for the third time. I was also wondering if the test center where you take the exam has any effect on your final score (i.e. your final score is compared to other people who have taken it that day or month at that center??). Can anyone please confirm or deny this?

Thank you for reading and I am looking for any and all feedback/advice!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2nd attempt same score... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 12:30
Hello xiaosoccer,

Based on your post, it appears your nerves were getting the best of you on the quant. That can actually be a very good sign as (if you're doing well) the CAT is throwing very difficult questions at you.

Do you know which sections in verbal gave you the most trouble?

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2nd attempt same score... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 12:50
I guess SC and CR. My first RC was super super long so I thought I was doing a good job, and then it got dramatically shorter for the second one. I'm just surprised because I was getting in the 40s on verbal on mgmat and i thought that would be a good indicator.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 2nd attempt same score... [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 13:08
xiaosoccer wrote:
I guess SC and CR. My first RC was super super long so I thought I was doing a good job, and then it got dramatically shorter for the second one. I'm just surprised because I was getting in the 40s on verbal on mgmat and i thought that would be a good indicator.

Many people here feel the MGMAT tests are pretty strong indicators of the actual test, but it's still only a practice test.

If you go through the debriefs in the Share your GMAT Experience Thread, you will find extremes on both sides (scored close to practice and real score was way off from practice).

The length of the RC is not always a sign of how you're doing.

Did you try the GMATClub tests?

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Re: 2nd attempt same score...   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2009, 13:08