Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accuracy MGMAT CAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Accuracy MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 08:16
hey guys,

I am a little confused regarding the Manhattan GMAT CAT. I just did the first one after some basic preparation for about one month.
In the end my score was 690 (Q45, V39) although I did many mistakes (in quant I think nearly 40-50% wrong). I doubt that I would
end up with a score like that in the real GMAT. So I just wanted to ask you whether u know how accurate the manhattan CATs are
(I only aim for a GMAT score of >600)?

regards!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 649

Kudos [?]: 2758 [1] , given: 879

Re: Accuracy MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hellfridge wrote:
hey guys,

I am a little confused regarding the Manhattan GMAT CAT. I just did the first one after some basic preparation for about one month.
In the end my score was 690 (Q45, V39) although I did many mistakes (in quant I think nearly 40-50% wrong). I doubt that I would
end up with a score like that in the real GMAT. So I just wanted to ask you whether u know how accurate the manhattan CATs are
(I only aim for a GMAT score of >600)?

regards!

How much time do you have left before the GMAT?
your verbal score is solid and your quant is GOOD as a baseline
Here are some links for quant improvement
how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q44-to-q50-141670.html
how-to-go-to-v40-from-v30-142366.html

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: Accuracy MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 14:59
This post received
KUDOS
Wow, great start, hellfridge! A 690 when you're only shooting for 600+? Awesome.

To answer your question, Manhattan GMAT's tests aren't perfectly accurate, since no test-prep firm can perfectly copy the exact style of the actual GMAT, but they're usually pretty close. If you've heavily used MGMAT materials, then it's conceivable that your score is biased upwards, but a 690 on an MGMAT test looks awfully good to me, especially with such a solid quant/verbal balance.

It's always possible to miss a ton of questions on the GMAT quant section and still do really really well on the test. The GMAT scoring algorithm basically gives you a score based on which questions you miss, not necessarily on how many questions you miss. So you can miss a crapload of questions and do wonderfully on quant, as long as you only miss harder questions, and get the easier ones right.

I hope this helps. Keep up the nice work!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Accuracy MGMAT CAT [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 08:07
hey guys,

thank you very much for ur feedback. In fact I have only 2 weeks left until the gmat. So I will try to study
as efficient as possible the upcoming days (@souvik: I already checked the links u posted and I think some
explanations apply perfectly for me!) Since I am not a native speaker I planned to focus a little more on the verbal
part now.

Actually Ninja u are right, I did study a lot with the Manhattan books. So I might try the gmat club tests or the gmatprep
later on and compare them with my previous result.

Thanks guys!
Re: Accuracy MGMAT CAT   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2013, 08:07