Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross (CGSM Fellow), Wash U Olin R2, Kelley R2, Tepper R2, Marshall R2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink]
I'm thinking of Woodbury Gardens. I've decided to do GBR. Since it's getting pretty cheap to fly out of LA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
congrats everyone! i didn't see this thread, so posted something on the other one about gbr and housing.

but one thing i must advocate is MTrek. about 40-50% go, maybe more. that's half the class and it certainly does feel like more than half goes. but the reason to go is not because you'll feel left out of friendships, but that you'll miss an amazing opportunity to form amazing friendships.

i cannot emphasize how amazingly awesome my trip was - both the trip itself as well as getting to bond with a wonderful group of people. you will not have the same experience during RLI or any other experience on campus. i formed close friendships with my MTrek group and we continue to be great friends. this is true of most of the other treks as well, though i'm biased towards mine :-D.

you really can't form the same bonds as you do during class, group projects, etc. and you may not even meet some of these folks if you were not to go on an mtrek simply because you're in a class of 500 and take classes your first year with the same group of 80 people. i have worked with some of my mtrek mates in group and club settings and if i hadn't met them during the mtrek, i'm fairly certain i would not have gotten to know them so well, or maybe even at all. another plug for mtreks is that you'll quickly get sucked into your sections and having friends from mtreks gives you a different group of friends and people you know.

go on an mtrek! if it's a financial concern, the extra thousand or so is just a drop in the bucket compared with the rest of your time at ross. this is *totally* worth the investment. it's about the friendships you'll form.

also, go for trip you would never do on your own or takes you down the beaten path. you have winter and spring breaks to go on spring break type trips (we just had spring break and folks went to PR, colombia, cabo, hawaii to name a few) but the opportunity to visit a remote destination with a self-selecting group of amazing individuals is priceless, perhaps even once-in-a-lifetime. hiking through the jungle, camping on a quiet beach, waking up for the sunrise, dancing to a stereo in a small village - these are all great shared moments that let you get to know others on such a deeper level. mtreks are absolutely worth it. no doubt.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
What2Do15 wrote:
There are no local-meets near me, but I'll be at GBR for sure. Does anyone know if public transportation is used by many Ross students. Is it dependable? Do most people, drive, walk, bike or bus to class normally? I'd love to justify getting a shinny new bicycle.

Housing question? - Anyone know which housing option seems to offer the most peace and quiet within a reasonable commute? I'm not begging to live near a bunch of loud party goers?

Just a side question, I noticed that the Ross building has a fitness center, is that available to all students, or is there a fee. What's the deal? Looks pretty interesting.

there's a mix of bikers, walkers, and drivers though most people do not drive to campus. i used the bus during the winter and it is super reliable, sometimes even early! with the google maps on the iphone, you can also look up exactly when the bus is coming so you're not just waiting in the cold. i never wait more than 5-8 minutes for the bus. usually, it's 2-5 minutes, but that's because i head out when the bus is supposed to come.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
anu1979 wrote:

My goal is to find an apartment within close enough walking distance that still has some of the amenities I now consider necessities. Chiefly, a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. Woodbury Gardens looks perfect in terms of amenities but I've read that it isn't really a walkable path to school even though it's only 1.5 miles away. Current Ann Arbor residents on the Google Group seem to be recommending Kerrytown-from some basic searches, the apartments in that area do seem really nice. I've also been looking on Craigslist and it seems like there are some listings for condos about a mile away from the business school that look pretty nice.

IF you want something closer to school you can look at nob hill apartments. it's pretty close to school, althought you still need to cut through part of the school. 0.9 miles. one of the recommendations I read was from a graduate student who liked it because it was just far enough to be away from the UG students yet close to campus. They don't allow dogs, so that's not an option for me.
Current Student
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
anu1979 wrote:

My goal is to find an apartment within close enough walking distance that still has some of the amenities I now consider necessities. Chiefly, a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. Woodbury Gardens looks perfect in terms of amenities but I've read that it isn't really a walkable path to school even though it's only 1.5 miles away. Current Ann Arbor residents on the Google Group seem to be recommending Kerrytown-from some basic searches, the apartments in that area do seem really nice. I've also been looking on Craigslist and it seems like there are some listings for condos about a mile away from the business school that look pretty nice.

IF you want something closer to school you can look at nob hill apartments. it's pretty close to school, althought you still need to cut through part of the school. 0.9 miles. one of the recommendations I read was from a graduate student who liked it because it was just far enough to be away from the UG students yet close to campus. They don't allow dogs, so that's not an option for me.

I looked at those apartments but from what I could see, they didn't seem to have dishwashers and garbage disposals. That pretty much crosses them off my list-I'm a neat freak and I don't like to do dishes.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Funny. Being Chinese, my family doesn't use a dish washer. Except as a storage rack for dishes. I am the only person in my extended family that's ever even turned on a dish washer.

I think Chinese feel it's not clean.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:
I have to decide how extravagant I'm feeling (or maybe how much I can literally afford...). I'm looking at South Africa, Thailand/Laos (I wish there were more Asia options also, but I think this one sounds most interesting), Iceland (if I can actually get back into shape). My cheap options are Puerto Rico and Croatia.

Hey, I'm really leaning towards South Africa. With the safaris and everything, it sounds really awesome! The only thing is that it's a bit on the steep side price-wise. Also, like a previous poster said, my mom's already throwing a fit about it. My second choice is Israel, which my mom is also not too crazy about.

As far as housing is concerned, does anyone know if Ross has resources to help people find places? I've heard about a few places through the message boards and friends who went to Michigan. Does Ross have some kind of process in place for finding roommates who are also Ross students, or would I just have to do it the old-fashioned way and chat up people during admit events?

I think I may end up going to GBR after all and do some apartment-hunting while I'm there.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
milias wrote:
conmisdosmanos wrote:
I have to decide how extravagant I'm feeling (or maybe how much I can literally afford...). I'm looking at South Africa, Thailand/Laos (I wish there were more Asia options also, but I think this one sounds most interesting), Iceland (if I can actually get back into shape). My cheap options are Puerto Rico and Croatia.

Hey, I'm really leaning towards South Africa. With the safaris and everything, it sounds really awesome! The only thing is that it's a bit on the steep side price-wise. Also, like a previous poster said, my mom's already throwing a fit about it. My second choice is Israel, which my mom is also not too crazy about.

As far as housing is concerned, does anyone know if Ross has resources to help people find places? I've heard about a few places through the message boards and friends who went to Michigan. Does Ross have some kind of process in place for finding roommates who are also Ross students, or would I just have to do it the old-fashioned way and chat up people during admit events?

I think I may end up going to GBR after all and do some apartment-hunting while I'm there.

Mexico for me!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Sustainable Enterprise & Operations
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q48  V32 GMAT 2: 710  Q49  V38
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Send PM
@milias
List of some of the apartments:
https://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/St ... BALive.htm

These are some questions for existing students or other gurus:
How did people go about the roommate search? I'm a bit torn about living alone or living with a roommate... Also I heard that parking close to campus is a pain -> where do people with cars usually live?
Current Student
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:
As for the fitness center - I saw it on my tour, and it's small but very nice. I'm 99% sure they said it was free, but if there's a fee it's negligible enough that I forgot about it.

Its $100 per semester... I believe its only open to ppl affiliated with the Ross school.
Current Student
Send PM
sharmar wrote:
@milias

How did people go about the roommate search? I'm a bit torn about living alone or living with a roommate... Also I heard that parking close to campus is a pain -> where do people with cars usually live?

Awesome, thanks!

I'm also considering going to Iceland for the M-Trek, since their economy tanked, and stuff's probably pretty cheap over there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Kudos
milias wrote:
Awesome, thanks!

I'm also considering going to Iceland for the M-Trek, since their economy tanked, and stuff's probably pretty cheap over there.

Thanks, Sharmar! I think that my tour guide mentioned that partners, etc. had access to the gym as well.

Milias - A friend of mine was recently making a killing buying designer clothes in Iceland, dirt cheap, and reselling them in the States. I also just watched No Reservations Iceland - not sure about eating fermented fish or jellied sheep testicles, but the rest looked amazing.... But I'm not sure I can pass up the safari opportunity. Elephants! And Iceland is hard to think about in Chicago in March.

Does anybody know when we have to actually start making decisions?

And an unrelated question - did you guys get any sort of confirmation from Ross after turning in your FAFSA? I did mine 2 months ago and haven't heard anything. Not even a confirmation that they received it. I'm wondering how long to wait until I start bugging the financial aid office. They said March...
Current Student
Send PM
May 1st is the deadline for the deposit I think. I haven't heard from Cornell yet so I think I'm going to just do Ross and pay the deposit.

I'm thinking Iceland or Chile for the M-trek...
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Cancun for me.
Current Student
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Milias - A friend of mine was recently making a killing buying designer clothes in Iceland, dirt cheap, and reselling them in the States. I also just watched No Reservations Iceland - not sure about eating fermented fish or jellied sheep testicles, but the rest looked amazing.... But I'm not sure I can pass up the safari opportunity. Elephants! And Iceland is hard to think about in Chicago in March.

Designer clothes, eh? Interesting. If the trip can pay for itself, then all the better! Yea, I've always wanted to go to Africa since I was a little kid, so it would be very hard to pass up on. I think I'll always have opportunities to go to Europe, but I think South Africa would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

conmisdosmanos wrote:
And an unrelated question - did you guys get any sort of confirmation from Ross after turning in your FAFSA? I did mine 2 months ago and haven't heard anything. Not even a confirmation that they received it. I'm wondering how long to wait until I start bugging the financial aid office. They said March...

I turned in my FAFSA form on 2/28, I think, right before the 3/1 deadline for the state of Michigan. Then I got a package (not from Ross) saying that it's missing some information. Guess I'll need to do my taxes first before filling out the "missing" information.
Current Student
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:
milias wrote:

Does anybody know when we have to actually start making decisions?

We're supposed to register in April, according to the website, so I'm guessing when you put down a deposit you have to sign up for a particular trip/rank them at that time.

I got something on Friday but it was a message saying they want proof of citizenship from me before they finish processing. I'm not surprised since I wasn't born in the US and I declared my dual citizenship on the application. I had to finally create my uniqname (the actual umich ID, not the one to get the decision, that expires once you pay your deposit, which I've done) to be able to access my account to figure out what they wanted. Other than that, I haven't received anything, but it looks like they are definitely working on things.
Current Student
Send PM
milias wrote:
sharmar wrote:
@milias

Awesome, thanks!

You know, you'd think that but I had a friend who went in August 2009 and said it was still pretty expensive.

I'm thinking about it because it's the type of place I'd never ever go on my own and the walk they're doing from Landmannalauger is supposed to be listed among the top hikes in the world or something. Plus, Iceland is more or less like Hawaii thrown right under the Arctic circle, which means volcanoes! I also like the adventure activities, not to mention that I'll be flying out of Boston and the Boston-Rejkavik flight is cheap (and short).

The other trip I was thinking about was Madagascar. But to be honest, I'm very afraid of flying and I'm not so sure about what type of plane they're taking from South Africa to Nosy Be (OCD flare up).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts