Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted students...now what?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2007, 21:54
1) Have you decided if you are going to matriculate or are you still holding out for another decision?
I am still waiting for a decision from HBS, hopefully I will get good news on the 16th. Otherwise I plan to parade around the avatar kwam has.

2) Where are you holding out for or what would it take for a backup school to win you over?
See above, HBS is the only school I would choose over Chicago GSB. There was no backup school, and it doesn't look like another school would affect my decision. I am looking into investment management, and only a handful of the M7 schools have significant placement in that field. Thankfully GSB is one of those schools.

3) Are you still planning on working on R2 applications or are you gonna save the application fees and enjoy your new found peace of mind?
I was working on Wharton's application, but have since dropped it. Earlier this week I was a nervous wreck and now I am care free :).

4) Have you begun to dream what its going to be like to quit your job and head back to school?
Oh yea! I am just struggling with when I should drop the bomb on them. I wanted to give them 4 months, but I realized it could end up being a very uncomfortable 4 months. I plan to take ~3 months off and do some travel before school starts, frequent flyer miles are a beautiful thing. :lol:

5) Sobered up from the celebration?
The real celebration hasn't even started! My present to myself is a trip to rio de janeiro at the end of january.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 02:03
1) Have you decided if you are going to matriculate or are you still holding out for another decision?
Still holding, but the feeling of getting into ONE school, an Elite one at that, is just a relief (and joy). I still have other schools that are very competitive with my first admit, so we'll see if I need to make that difficult decision at all.

2) Where are you holding out for or what would it take for a backup school to win you over?
Stanford, Haas, and Kellogg. Though with a 4/15/2008 decision date to matriculate, I hope Kellogg is as fast with its decision in R2 as it was for R1. Not sure if Kellogg Admit weekend is after 4/15 though...

What will it take for UCLA to win me over? That's a toughie. I do LOVE the program and think the school should be ranked in the top 10 for what it offers (if its adcom ever gets its act together), but due to location (and somewhat the name brand), Stanford and Haas just may have the edge if I get into one of those. Kellogg vs UCLA will be a TOUGH one. I know all of you Kellogg admits are probably saying "blasphemy" right now, but for me, UCLA is a better fit with my future goals, internship opportunities, and the location is much better than Chicago (sorry, I'm a West Coaster). :P So yeah, UCLA could win me over Kellogg (though it'll be tough), but against Haas and Stanford...

3) Are you still planning on working on R2 applications or are you gonna save the application fees and enjoy your new found peace of mind?
Unfortunately, due to how Kellogg does it's Part I and II thing, I paid my application fee already, submitted my rec letters, and filled out my Part II apps. I need to write about two 1/2 essays where the rest can be reused... would be stupid not to apply, but like Avi said to me, I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the motivation. I hope so.

4) Have you begun to dream what its going to be like to quit your job and head back to school?
Yup, been dreaming it before the news, hahaha! :lol: But now it's a reality, so first thing is to buy a laptop :wink: Of course, the promotion and the big raise recently might keep me at work a few months longer than I originally planned.

Haha, still hasn't sunken in yet. And unfortunately, I can't drink. Therefore, I'm in Vegas right now (which is why it took me almost 12 hours to post this news) and will be playing poker and shopping non-stop the next two days! Woohoo!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 03:29

I'm 95% sure I'll matriculate at Chicago. While I did interview at MIT, I've preferred GSB the whole time, so unless they offer me something ridiculous (unlikely since my interview wasn't great) or I decide to hold out hope for the Wharton WL removal, Windy City here I come (already on my laptop background)

See above. Would take a lot of moolah, but even then, in the long-term I'm not sure that money makes up for happiness and fit with a school.

Nope, I ripped up Columbia as soon as I heard this week.

You better believe it. I've been thinking what it would be like to quit my job for about a year now! I'm so ready.

Celebration has been somewhat mild up to now, since I've actually been sick, but I leave Tuesday for two weeks in Tokyo, and I expect significant celebration to occur!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 11:19
I am holding out for the Ross decision. I interviewed at Ross in November and I really like the Tauber Institute of Global Operations that fits perfectly with my goals in operations/manufacturing. Haas hasn't got back to me yet and with a lot of international invites going out already, I feel a ding coming.

Holding out for Ross (01/15) and would be pleasantly surprised with a Haas admit or even an interview. I like Tepper and would gladly attend once the Ross decision comes through. I am not viewing Tepper as a backup, but would like to make an informed decision once all the deadlines are up.

No plans to apply to R2 schools.

Yeah! I started dreaming much before I got the admit, but I'll still be a little sad when I quit. I have worked at this company for more than three years and made some of the best friends a person could ask for.

Barely sobered up. Wow!
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 11:24
Holding out until the MIT Sloan decision. I interviewed, and it would be a tough decision between Chicago GSB and MIT Sloan.

I don't have any backup schools, so it would just come down to fit. I'll go to both admit weekends if I get in.

Nope, stopped working on my R2 Ross app.

Yup.

Actually haven't done much celebrating. Feel more relieved than elated that this process is almost over.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 12:46
Well .. one thing that all the admitted students should do is .. add your school's avatar. I know that plans can change in future. In that case, change your avatar. Your avatars will help us know to which school your are going (For now), and will encourage the rest of us. Just my thought.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 13:35
finally finished reading this thread... some comments.

river: same boat as you (no pun intended), need to sell my place no matter where I go, even Stanford, since there's no point in holding a place where you cannot rent it to even cover the mortgage, get no tax benefits, and the prices have held steady for a year or two now (at least it hasn't gone down in my area).

terry12: it's scary that we have very similar portfolios (a slightly similar profile). Guess I'll finish Kellogg too, since you are, haha :P.

mba2010: Go Bears! I would probably pick Haas over Kellogg for similar reasons (career fit), as good as Kellogg is, and as much I loved the culture and students there.

travel plans - probably East Asia/China for a couple months in April time frame... not sure when I can leave work yet. Got a promotion and raise, so now I kind of want to stay a few months longer and earn more $$ :P

mNeo: good suggestion, which is why I have Anderson up (and I owe it to them to advertise for them over the Holiday break :P). It'll rotate (hopefully) if I get into other schools.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 14:36
kryzak wrote:
travel plans - probably East Asia/China for a couple months in April time frame... not sure when I can leave work yet. Got a promotion and raise, so now I kind of want to stay a few months longer and earn more $$ :P

Do you speak Chinese (of some form, I know there are different dialects)? I have always wanted to travel to Asia, mostly China, Japan, Mongolia and Thailand, but I feel that those trips would work much better if I spoke the language. I'll probably wait until I can afford to go one one of those crazy expensive trips where you travel with a guide who is fluent in english and the local language(s).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 14:46
yup, fluent in Mandarin, can get by with Taiwanese, and can survive (barely) with Cantonese. but Mandarin will get you to most places I would want to go anyways.

Maybe I should organize a GMATClub trip if people want to tag along :wink:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 15:13
kryzak wrote:
yup, fluent in Mandarin, can get by with Taiwanese, and can survive (barely) with Cantonese. but Mandarin will get you to most places I would want to go anyways.

Dang, thats impressive. I can only mangle a little Spanish and look dumb mispronouncing the few things I can say in Italian. The biggest thing I regret about my education is that learning different languages was never emphasized. Plus both my parents speak only english. One of my plans before school (if I get in) is to try to learn French. I read that it is the most common 2nd language in europe, so I if I can speak conversational French I think between that and English I could make out all right in Europe.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 15:36
kryzak wrote:

Maybe I should organize a GMATClub trip if people want to tag along :wink:

im planning a trip to taiwan in the spring. my mandarin needs a lot of work... grew up hearing it a lot so i can understand it but im terrible at remembering what words and have 0 writing skills.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 15:43
Yum...Taiwan. I love the green onion pancakes with egg they sell on the streets. And of course shao long bao at Din Tai Fung.

Half the fun of travel is negotiating the language and culture. My only problem is everyone thinks I'm Chinese so they always speak to me in Mandarin/Cantonese/Taiwanese and I just stare back blankly while my Taiwanese bf cracks up in the background.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 22:35
yum, Taiwan food is great! I love the cold noodles. I can never get in at Ding Tai Fung... the lines are too long, and they dropped a tour bus full of Japanese tourists right before I got there last time... :(

In Japan, everyone thinks I'm Japanese, so I just look clueless when they speak to me. :P
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Re: Admitted students...now what? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2007, 02:53

Yes, I got in to WH and I will matriculate from there.

I dont event have a backup school! I applied to WH and CL. Got a ding from CL, so nothing holding me back to pick up WH.

More than the money, its the peace of mind. I did have some thoughts that maybe I should apply to HBS, but the idea of writing more essays drives my crazy. So nope, no more apps.

Oh yeah, I started dreaming about that a while ago! What has changed though, my dreams are more about what it would be like to be back in schoo. Initially they just used to about quitting my job!

I think the celebration will go in atleast until the 31st.

Last edited by DJM on 23 Dec 2007, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2007, 03:41
Definitely enjoyed a full day of shopping, good dinner, and hung out at Studio 54 in MGM today. A friend of my cousin's is super rich (some business guy) and got us a VIP lounge with $500 bottles of alcohol, open bar and super good service. That was an experience. It was also Persian night there, so the music was good (but I had no clue how to dance to it...).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Admitted students...now what? [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2007, 04:44
Still holding out for MIT interview invites in Asia until maybe first week of January and applying to Wharton R2. Otherwise, looks like it will be Cornell with scholarship, which I'm very happy about!

Holding out for MIT, Wharton/Lauder...

R2 apps will be Wharton and Northwestern just cuz I've already submitted the fees...

Definitely, thinking about quitting after Chinese New Years, to get my bonus (I'm an expat working in Taiwan, so those GMAT clubbers that are coming, do feel free to look me up). Might head over to China to do an internship, or just travel, tbd.

Didn't drink yet, but New Years Eve is tomorrow soo....
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: Admitted students...now what? [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2007, 19:09
I speak Hakka, can understand Cantonese, and now speak some Japanese (based in Tokyo for past 4 years). Currently in Vietnam (on holiday), and all the locals are speaking to me in Vietnamese assuming i am local.

Housewise, fortunately i bought a house in London, and its been rented out all the time since I've been in Japan. However, re-mrotgage is due in summer next year. Waitingon the interest rates to drop in the UK, or considering going for an International moe\rtgage which allows me to switch currencies. Problem is that the only currency i can switch to, is the country in which i am based. For Japan that's not too bad, although the Yen is currently weak, but interest rates favourable (0.5%)
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted students...now what? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 03:07
Thanks for these questions. Always good to have someone stimulate your mind to think about your situation. I have to figure out this kudos thing and then give you some.

So now that a bunch of R1 applicants have been accepted to Columbia(ED), GSB, Cornell, Tepper, Wharton, Kellogg (still a few waiting), and a bunch of others here and there, what are your plans...

Background real quick:
Accepted at IESE. Interviewed at Tuck, Kellogg, Ross, Berkeley (that last one is scheduled).

I asked them to extend my decision period. I love Barcelona, but somehow an American school seems more appealing.

Some serious dough would go a long way, who are we kidding? All schools I applied to are top-notch, so a considerable amount of cash could win me over. But it should be considerable. Now, honestly, I dont think that will happen.

Nope. Not at all. I will do that last interview with Cal and then that's it for me. The only thing that could happen is that a scholarship fund I applied to invites me to interview.

Yes, a long time ago. Especially since my job sucks big time right now. No boss. No boss-boss. The brand I have been responsible for for over year is about to be killed. Greeeat. If the MBA wouldnt be on the horizon I would have quit my job a long time ago.

Didnt celebrate too hard yet. Once Kellogg and Cal decisions are positive, this WILL change. :)
[/quote]
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [3] , given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 18:18
This post received
KUDOS
rhyme wrote:
Take heed: Start researching industries and really really thinking about what you want to do, including really thinking about what you don't want to do. Think industry, think function, think geography.

I'm probably not gonna get a job, so my advice isn't necessarily good, but I honestly did not even start thinking about school, let alone jobs, until early July. I started classes on Sept 4th, and was exempted from the optional pre-courses.

To generalize the idea, I'd recommend:

- Find out how the school you got into works in terms of recruiting. At some schools you'll get recruiters on campus by breakfast time on day 1, whereas at other schools they are not allowed until about 6 - 8 weeks after classes have started. Each approach would required different pre-school preparation, obviously.
- Do try and spend some time thinking what you really want to do after school or during the summer. Fighting the herd mentality will be harder later if you did not articulate your goals before going to school.
- Find out whether you can get some experience by switching jobs now instead of talking a 6-month vacation. I know several people who, for eg., switched from IB into lower positions in P/E once they got into school to get that "stamp of a approval" in their resume. Others spent their summer in non profits around the world, thereby combining travelling with experience enhancing.
- Give accomodation, moving, visas and all the other errands proper attention.
- Plan and execute your dream vacation, starting about 2 months before classes.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Admitted students...now what? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 21:56
thank you for the great advice, Lepium! kudos to you!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: Admitted students...now what?   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2008, 21:56