Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Allocating time between Quant & Verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Allocating time between Quant & Verbal [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 17:48
Hello Everyone,

During your GMAT journey, what method have you found the most beneficial when deciding on how much time to spend between Quant & Verbal? Did you study both each day? or did you spend one month on one subject then the next month on the other? I would appreciate as much input as possible.

Thanks,

zay1917
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Allocating time between Quant & Verbal [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 02:35
Work on your weakest section up. Your score is only as good as your weakest section/subsection.

Everyone's needs are slightly different.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Allocating time between Quant & Verbal [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 04:36
mohater wrote:
Work on your weakest section up. Your score is only as good as your weakest section/subsection.

Everyone's needs are slightly different.

Tyvm for your response.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 663 [0], given: 6

Re: Allocating time between Quant & Verbal [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 12:42
Expert's post
This will depend on your background mostly. But also there are 3 sections for verbal, compared to 2 for quant. So naturally you're going to want to spend more time on verbal. In particular, CR and RC questions take longer.

Each section should have its dedicated study time - then you'll want to randomize questions and answer them in random order to see if your brain is still operating efficiently - a good exercise.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Allocating time between Quant & Verbal [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 13:30
it depends...

As a native speaker i find it tough to break habits in verbal, and I'm stuck in the 37-39 range, I can live with this. Once you have your RC strategy down, the only thing left to do is practice. With CR, I haven't found any form of study prep useful... but I tend to miss 1 or 2 of these max, regardless of difficulty. There are many books you can read on SC, and most people feel thats the place to improve your score... When I study for verbal, thats where I focus, but the returns for me are minimal.

Quant is just, easier to improve for me. I've found the journey of trying to get from a 45 to a 50 much easier then breaking into the 40s in verbal. Its all refreshing things you used to know, or proving certain concepts to yourself so they resonate better.

You need to figure out what areas you have the ability to improve on the most, and focus whatever time and energy it takes for you to get the best score possible.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 663 [0], given: 6

Re: Allocating time between Quant & Verbal [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 14:30
Expert's post
That's right. At higher levels of scoring, the Verbal score matters more for your overall score.

This article might be insightful for you: http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... -strategy/

Sure, if you have a known weakness in math you’ll need to brush up on your math skills and logic. And yes, the GMAT math is significantly more difficult than the SAT math (more emphasis on logic and structuring the problem rather than on pure calculation).

But at the end of the day, doing well on the VERBAL section is more important to your overall GMAT score than if you did equally well on the MATH section–this is ESPECIALLY true in the 700+ range. If you are targeting this score range, you MUST polish up your verbal section–particularly the reading comprehension part...

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Allocating time between Quant & Verbal   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2012, 14:30