Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
Re: Any one IE spain ?? [#permalink]
Only problem that I see with IE or any spanish school is that there is no guarentee for work permit in spain. It will be difficult to pay off your loans if you do not get job in europe.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1029 [0]
Concentration: General
 Q50  V34
Send PM
I have got admit from IE.
Donno whether to decide bet'n IE and Oxford.Oxford interview is over ,result yet to come out.
help me out guys!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
arjtryarjtry wrote:
I have got admit from IE.
Donno whether to decide bet'n IE and Oxford.Oxford interview is over ,result yet to come out.
help me out guys!!!

Hey, Congrats for IE. You got an admit for which intake ? April or November ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhaypratapsingh wrote:
Only problem that I see with IE or any spanish school is that there is no guarentee for work permit in spain. It will be difficult to pay off your loans if you do not get job in europe.

Yes, they do admit that this is the problem with them and I guess this is the reason why they are not so popular. But it has good reputation in Europe and finding a job outside Spain should not be a problem depending on the economic scene. How abt you ? Have you applied to IE ? Which other schools are you applying to ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
I will be applying to IE , but it will not be my first choice for reason i mentioned earlier. I dont expect market to get better until 2013 and europe's work permit rules are one of the most stringent. Though reputaion of IE is exemplory , I still thnik its a risk to study an MBA in Spain.

thnsk/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhaypratapsingh wrote:
I will be applying to IE , but it will not be my first choice for reason i mentioned earlier. I dont expect market to get better until 2013 and europe's work permit rules are one of the most stringent. Though reputaion of IE is exemplory , I still thnik its a risk to study an MBA in Spain.

thnsk/

2013 ?? All of us have been expecting starting 2010.. is there any source of analysis that makes you opine that ?
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
why is IE ranked so high then???? there must be something to it, more than what meets the eye...

and the reason they have started two intakes is testimony to that...

tell me some thing, why would a school start one more intake, if its original intake is not running to full capacity?

which is a better intake? i've heard that Nov is better as the companies recruiting season starts in sep and goes on till nov end...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
arjtryarjtry wrote:
why is IE ranked so high then???? there must be something to it, more than what meets the eye...

tell me some thing, why would a school start one more intake, if its original intake is not running to full capacity?

which is a better intake? i've heard that Nov is better as the companies recruiting season starts in sep and goes on till nov end...

I spoke to a guy of 2009 class and he also said it is wise to go for Nov intake.
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
why??? did he mention any specific reason? is he IE alum? :roll:

Amit05 wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:

I spoke to a guy of 2009 class and he also said it is wise to go for Nov intake.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
arjtryarjtry wrote:
why??? did he mention any specific reason? is he IE alum? :roll:

Amit05 wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:

He said it for 2 reasons.

1) Nov intake is traditional. So most companies visit the campus for Nov intake.
2) They are also feeling the heat of economic slowdown and hope to see the picture getting better by the time class of 2010 Nov intake is ready to jump in job market..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
So that's what it was 2 years ago..... so how is IE now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hey guys,

am in touch with an alum of IE who just completed his degree( an indian guy ) and another guy ( swedish guy ) who is getting in this april, IE is a great school to be at , great faculty, great batch diversity , excellent faculty etc.

But when it comes to jobs ? the scene is not that optimistic, i think recruitment statistics needs to be looked at with broader perspective, i am an indian and i would check placements of any b-school in terms of how indians are placed

the friend - alum at IE told me that if u want good education, choose IE, but be ready to hunt for job on your own, so now he is looking for job in india and asia.

At the same time the advantage of IE is that it has got tremendously good repute across world, IE name is acceptable all over world, so rather it helps u in exploring a broad spectrum of economies, because if we choose any continent oriented schools e.g. hkust for asia or rotman for canada, they might not be accepted in the other part of the world.

I think the decision about getting in IE is very complex :) , may be other members and can contribute their interactions with current of alums of IE, and we might get more insights on the same
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
versatile wrote:
Hey guys,

am in touch with an alum of IE who just completed his degree( an indian guy ) and another guy ( swedish guy ) who is getting in this april, IE is a great school to be at , great faculty, great batch diversity , excellent faculty etc.

But when it comes to jobs ? the scene is not that optimistic, i think recruitment statistics needs to be looked at with broader perspective, i am an indian and i would check placements of any b-school in terms of how indians are placed

the friend - alum at IE told me that if u want good education, choose IE, but be ready to hunt for job on your own, so now he is looking for job in india and asia.

At the same time the advantage of IE is that it has got tremendously good repute across world, IE name is acceptable all over world, so rather it helps u in exploring a broad spectrum of economies, because if we choose any continent oriented schools e.g. hkust for asia or rotman for canada, they might not be accepted in the other part of the world.

I think the decision about getting in IE is very complex :) , may be other members and can contribute their interactions with current of alums of IE, and we might get more insights on the same

Hey that's great. +1 on the indian..... I've met a few people who have attended IE interviews and in the end chosen against going for the very same reason. There have however been a couple of people I have spoken to who went ahead and joined the college. It is a gret place but hey when it comes to placements, India is the only place where it is prevalent. Colleges like NTU don't have placements per say.. most of the colleges outside india have networking events where you get to meet prospective employers. It is tough to get a job but yea once you get a decent job.. it's usually a pretty good one at that .. there are no worries... It's a risk you should be willing to take. in addition to sleepeing for 4-5 hours on a normal day during your mba.

So aer you going to be applying this time?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The situation probably demands discussion and i think quiet a few people can contribute.

IE has all positive points - ranking , placements overall, batch diversity, reputation etc. , but from indian's point of view my interaction with a few hint that one has to look for jobs outside europe only which leaves typical choice of india and rest of asia, good part about passing from IE is that it has global reputation, so whichever country you go, u are welcomed and given due weightage.

on the other side , i think schools like hkust, nus , nanyang in asia and rotman, schullich , ivey etc in canada are more acceptable in respective continent, even placements of thse b-schools are also in the same countries/continent.

So especially for an indian , i think the choice is a bit complex and requires research :)

these are purely personal opinions :) pls feel free to correct me if i am wrong

can someone who has passed out from IE can give more comments
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I did choose IE after multiple admits, and would definitely agree that it is a complex decision for Indians.

@versatile: Unfortunately, IE does not have a global brand strength. In fact, no Spanish school can boast of such a thing. IE is a young school and still a work in progress. It is perhaps more similar to the 'local reputation schools' that you mentioned with an added factor - if you are not fluent in Spanish, you have little chance of placements in Spain.

Either way, let me know if anybody has any specific questions and I will try to answer them asap.

Good Luck!

Color Me One MBA Admission Consulting
Brand Your MBA Application
www.colormeone.com
Contact us for a free essay evaluation!

Originally posted by ColorMeOne on 31 Oct 2011, 07:31.
Last edited by ColorMeOne on 31 Oct 2011, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ColorMeOne wrote:
I did choose IE after multiple admits, and would definitely agree that it is a complex decision for Indians.

@versatile: Unfortunately, IE does not have a global brand strength. In fact, no Spanish school can boast of such a thing. IE is a young school and still a work in progress. It is perhaps more similar to the 'local reputation schools' that you mentioned with an added factor - if you are not fluent in Spanish, you have little chance of placements in Spain.

Either way, let me know if anybody has any specific questions and I will try to answer them asap.

Good Luck!

Hey thanks man...

It would be great if you could share a few generals trends like how indians take their career forward post IE, because so far EU is struggling a lot, and i do not think local economy would have been able to accomodate a larger part of batch.

What i have heard till now is that a huge chunk of indians who study at IE , come back to Asia/India for jobs , how true it is ?

Second , IE has its internal test for admissions also, do u think that entering through this internal test of IE has any effect on the final placement of the student ? does employer prefer someone with a strong gmat score provided both of them have studied at IE ?

I know probably these are detailed questions, but i think decision to study at b-school is taken once in life time , so whatever possible reserach helps.

Also share your motivation to choose IE after having received multiple admits , share only if u are comfortable and not too personal :)

thanks for giving your time
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
EU is indeed struggling, and the problems are magnified in Spain for various reasons. The unemployment is above 20% and whether it will improve in the near future is anyone's guess.

Pretty much true that most Indians had to come back to India. Some, who had work permits or good connections, did secure a job in EU/USA but mostly all had to come back. Different people took different road forward: some went back to same firm/same job, some joined start-ups and some leveraged their India network to get good profiles.

No, whether you come by internal test or GMAT has no effect on the final placement. That said, some firms like the top consulting names do take a look at your GMAT so you might have an issue there.

IE, as was said earlier, is an excellent school but make sure you have your goals/expectations clear. You will have loads of fun & meet some very interesting people but placements are an issue. A lot of my batch mates secured great positions but apart from a weak economy, as an Indian you will have to face 2 extra hurdles: No work permit & no European language fluency. Both of these factors are very important. IE has started being more active in incorporating internships into the program (at the expense of electives) so that should be a positive move towards better placements.

My motivations were simple: 1 yr program, thought US economy was going down (and then EU went even lower :oops: ) and a good scholarship.

Good Luck!

www.colormeone.com
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2