Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

BoldFace5

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 17:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca’s schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

In the argument given, the two potions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.
B. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan.
C. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism.
D. The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.
E. The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 18:06
A ?
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 12:44
sondenso wrote:
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca’s schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

In the argument given, the two potions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection the first is an object, correct, but the second does not undermine the force of the objection, it nullifies the objection all together.
B. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan argument does not endorse the criticism, rather it refutes it.
C. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism argument does not endorse the criticism, rather it refutes it.
D. The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false second is not the mainpoint. the main point is the part where it talks about new shopping places opening up etc...
E. The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations. correct. the critics are agreed with here, but the second part shows that those claims won't eventuate.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 13:09
you know, i was thinking about E as well, but I didnt understand the second part of the sentence ... especially the 'rewarding' bit
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 02:23
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 02:30
sondenso wrote:
But OA is not E :lol:

got me again

rite, i need to :snipersmile: boldfaces
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 02:41
I'll take D on this one.

The argument implies that a three percent retail sales tax will cover the Funds collected through property taxes.

Therefore, the first statement is the one which the argument tries to refute.

The second statement proves that the claim made in the first would be false since they anticipate an influx of people from neighboring cities to boost the sales which would lead to higher collection in taxes.

Hence D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 03:05
I agree with D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 04:25
I will go with A since first bold face looks more like objection rather than claim.
OA please...????
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 06:11
sondenso wrote:

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.
B. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan.
C. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism.
D. The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.
E. The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations.

C.

The first is a crtisicm, that is endorsed by the argument.

The second is the main reason that the argument endorses the plan.

Clear and simple.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 07:56
Can we have the OA please?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 08:08
A

I think it's A since the author predicts that people are bound to buy because of lower sales taxes. There's no data to really prove it, but may be a correct prediction, so A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 08:29
i think A looks the best option on this one
can we have the OA and the OE (if possible)

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 11:11
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
sondenso wrote:

C.

The first is a crtisicm, that is endorsed by the argument.

The second is the main reason that the argument endorses the plan.

Clear and simple.

Whoops Im sorry I change to A.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1753 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 11:30
Expert's post
I think A, because only A correctly describes the second part: the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 20:14
Can ew have OA..???
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 20:31
Another vote for A
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 22:12
Oh, I dont think this BF so difficult and tricky that many people choose wrong A, the same to me, except zoltan and gmatcrook OA is D :lol:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 00:37
sondenso wrote:
Oh, I dont think this BF so difficult and tricky that many people choose wrong A, the same to me, except zoltan and gmatcrook OA is D :lol:

Hey do u have the OE for this

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: BoldFace5 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 04:42
sondenso wrote:

I totally disagree with D. The first is most certainly NOT a point the argument seeks to refute.

Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point.

This is not how Bold faces normally work. The part afterwords is what the argument refutes not the actual bold face.

What is the source of this question?
Re: BoldFace5   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2008, 04:42

BoldFace5

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap