GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 51
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2005, 16:57
8
1
35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (02:29) correct 33% (02:40) wrong based on 1809 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

In the argument given, the two potions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.

(B) The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan.

(C) The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism.

(D) The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.

(E) The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations.


Similar but not the same question from OG is here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/aroca-city-c ... 37810.html
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 64
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2008, 06:07
1
1
I would go for A

the reason I think D isn;t correct because its not the main point used by arguement.. main point used by an arguement to prove itself is something that supports it.. the second BF is itself a conclusion..

wats the OA
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 599
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2008, 02:02
1
The bold face arguments are tricky. First need to know the conclusion of the argument and how the bold face arguments relates to the conclusion.

Conclusion: (2 nd bold face argument: In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.
First bold face argument is an objection that points out new plan won’t generate same amount as old plan.


In the argument given, the two potions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection. [First: is Criticism, Second: Actual Conclusion – Hold it]

B. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan. [First: is Criticism, Second: Actual Conclusion – Eliminate it]

C. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism. [First: is Criticism, Second: Actual Conclusion – Eliminate it]


D. The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false. [First: is Criticism, Second: Actual Conclusion – Eliminate it]

E. The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations. [First: is Criticism, Second: Actual Conclusion – Eliminate it]

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Oct 2016
Posts: 11
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 12:13
Dear Expert,
Please explain, why option B is wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 255
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 16:29
2
dhnjy wrote:
Dear Expert,
Please explain, why option B is wrong?

The author supports the plan that is criticized by the first boldfaced portion. The author does not argue that an alternative plan should be adopted. Rather, the author says, "your criticism is based on a valid point, but here's why that point doesn't matter so much...". So even though the author does not claim that the criticism is inaccurate, the author doesn't endorse (i.e. approve of or support) that criticism.
_________________
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1366
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2018, 06:20
GMATNinjaTwo
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma generis

Quote:
(A) The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.


Is the second part sophisticated way of saying:
The prediction (if accurate) strengthens the objection.
_________________
It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9701
Location: Pune, India
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 00:44
2
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja
VeritasPrepKarishma
Quote:
(A) The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.


Is the second part sophisticated way of saying:
The prediction (if accurate) strengthens the objection.



"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection."

is equivalent to

"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, weakens the objection."
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1366
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 05:37
1
VeritasPrepKarishma

Quote:
"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, underminesthe force of that objection."

is equivalent to

"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, weakensthe objection.


Does not - to undermine - means to weaken?

The force of objection means simply the strength by which a claim is countered to be true

Eg: I undermine the force of objection that Rob stole money from bank.

Is not this is a classic case of double negation?

Eg: I support the fact that Rob stole money from bank.
_________________
It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9701
Location: Pune, India
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 02:22
1
adkikani wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Quote:
"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, underminesthe force of that objection."

is equivalent to

"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, weakensthe objection.


Does not - to undermine - means to weaken?

The force of objection means simply the strength by which a claim is countered to be true

Eg: I undermine the force of objection that Rob stole money from bank.

Is not this is a classic case of double negation?

Eg: I support the fact that Rob stole money from bank.


It is not a double negative - it is just a weakener

The first is an objection. The second undermines (weakens) that objection (another word for the first bold statement).
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2856
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 14:33
1
adkikani wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Quote:
"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, underminesthe force of that objection."

is equivalent to

"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, weakensthe objection.


Does not - to undermine - means to weaken?

The force of objection means simply the strength by which a claim is countered to be true

Eg: I undermine the force of objection that Rob stole money from bank.

Is not this is a classic case of double negation?

Eg: I support the fact that Rob stole money from bank.

adkikani, I think you and VeritasPrepKarishma are saying nearly the same thing.

  • You claim that Rob stole money from a bank.
  • I raise an objection to that claim.
  • If you then undermine the force of my objection, then you are weakening the force of my objection.

As the always-sharp VeritasPrepKarishma wisely suggested, this means that you are weakening my objection. You might not have any evidence that Rob actually stole money from the bank, but you've at least succeeded in defending your point of view against my criticism.

Let us know if it's still unclear!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 25
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 00:36
Hi!
Can someone explain what option E is trying to state?
I was stuck between A and E, E i couldnt understand the second part hence i eliminated E and went with A
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2856
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 22:22
RashmiT wrote:
Hi!
Can someone explain what option E is trying to state?
I was stuck between A and E, E i couldnt understand the second part hence i eliminated E and went with A

(E) appears to have a typo ("rewarding" instead of "rewording"). If someone sees this question in the software, please check to see if there are any other mistakes!

Quote:
(E) The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations

"The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations" - This would mean that the author accepts the claim but has some doubts about it. This is not the case. The author does not express any doubt about this claim, saying, "the critics are correct on this point." So the first part of (E) is off.

"the second presents that claim in a rewording that is not subject to those reservations" - This would mean that the second BF is essentially the same claim as the first BF but reworded so that it is not subject to the same doubts. But the first pertains to current sales, and the second is a prediction about future sales. So the two BF portions do not present the same claim at all.

The first half of (E) is definitely not right, so the second half of (E) makes no sense.
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jul 2015
Posts: 176
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 21:06
1
Hi Experts / GMATNinja / VeritasPrepKarishma,

Can you please explain why D is wrong here? I read the entire thread but can't find a convincing answer. I have doubts on both parts of D. For BF1 - seems okay since the argument is refuting that the three percent falls short of the amount raised. I am not sure what's wrong with the second boldface. Please advise. Thanks!
_________________
Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1716
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 18:56
2
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. ---- Fact
In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city.--- proposal
1. Critics protest that 3 percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. --- opinion
The critics are correct on this point. --- Someone saying above opinion is correct.
Nevertheless --- something contradictory coming.
implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca’s schools. --- contradiction to someone, as rest evidence given for this choice, this is the main conclusion
Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, ---- Fact
and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, --- prediction
where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. --- fact
2.In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially. ---- prediction/ a conclusion

Final verdict:(A) The first presents a plan that the argument concludes is unlikely to achieve its goal; the second expresses that conclusion.

Straight, I have eliminated C, D, E. Well 2nd part is a conclusion and not presenting an evidence.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2856
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 07:55
3
Very nice work, aragonn! I'll throw in my two cents, just in case it's useful at all.

sdlife wrote:
Can you please explain why D is wrong here? I read the entire thread but can't find a convincing answer. I have doubts on both parts of D. For BF1 - seems okay since the argument is refuting that the three percent falls short of the amount raised. I am not sure what's wrong with the second boldface. Please advise. Thanks!

Let's be very clear about what the author is saying:

Quote:
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

  • BF1 is a claim made by critics.
  • Immediately after BF1, the author writes, "The critics are correct on this point." The author accepts this particular claim without denial or hesitation.

Now lets' be clear about what (D) is saying:
Quote:
The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.

  • Is the author refuting BF1? Absolutely not. The author says outright that BF1 is correct.
  • Since the first half of this answer choice is wrong, we can eliminate this choice and move on.

I hope this explanation is more than three percent helpful! (Yeah... I'm practicing my dad jokes.)
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 42
Reviews Badge
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 08:43
GMATNinja wrote:
Very nice work, aragonn! I'll throw in my two cents, just in case it's useful at all.

sdlife wrote:
Can you please explain why D is wrong here? I read the entire thread but can't find a convincing answer. I have doubts on both parts of D. For BF1 - seems okay since the argument is refuting that the three percent falls short of the amount raised. I am not sure what's wrong with the second boldface. Please advise. Thanks!

Let's be very clear about what the author is saying:

Quote:
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

  • BF1 is a claim made by critics.
  • Immediately after BF1, the author writes, "The critics are correct on this point." The author accepts this particular claim without denial or hesitation.

Now lets' be clear about what (D) is saying:
Quote:
The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.

  • Is the author refuting BF1? Absolutely not. The author says outright that BF1 is correct.
  • Since the first half of this answer choice is wrong, we can eliminate this choice and move on.

I hope this explanation is more than three percent helpful! (Yeah... I'm practicing my dad jokes.)
Hi GmatNinja,
Still D is not clear. I got d point that author outright agreed wd critics. But I think tht 'Argument' as a whole is refuting d first bold face sentence.
Pls correct my approach or understanding.
Thanks.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2856
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 20:07
1
deepverma wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Very nice work, aragonn! I'll throw in my two cents, just in case it's useful at all.

sdlife wrote:
Can you please explain why D is wrong here? I read the entire thread but can't find a convincing answer. I have doubts on both parts of D. For BF1 - seems okay since the argument is refuting that the three percent falls short of the amount raised. I am not sure what's wrong with the second boldface. Please advise. Thanks!

Let's be very clear about what the author is saying:

Quote:
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

  • BF1 is a claim made by critics.
  • Immediately after BF1, the author writes, "The critics are correct on this point." The author accepts this particular claim without denial or hesitation.

Now lets' be clear about what (D) is saying:
Quote:
The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.

  • Is the author refuting BF1? Absolutely not. The author says outright that BF1 is correct.
  • Since the first half of this answer choice is wrong, we can eliminate this choice and move on.

I hope this explanation is more than three percent helpful! (Yeah... I'm practicing my dad jokes.)
Hi GmatNinja,
Still D is not clear. I got d point that author outright agreed wd critics. But I think tht 'Argument' as a whole is refuting d first bold face sentence.
Pls correct my approach or understanding.
Thanks.

Hi deepverma,

The conclusion of the author's argument is that implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. The author accepts BF1 outright, then predicts that because retail sales will increase substantially, the proportional shortfall described in BF1 will not result in an absolute reduction in school funds. The author's argument doesn't depend on refuting BF1; it depends on whether this prediction of increased retail sales will come true.

In other words, we can infer that the critics believe that implementing the plan will probably reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. The author is certainly trying to refute that implied conclusion. However, the author does NOT refute the claim made in the first BF.

I hope this helps clarifies why we should eliminate (D)!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 08 Oct 2018
Posts: 39
Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Education)
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 03:38
D is wrong, because the argument doesn't seek the refute the claim in the first boldface.

First BF: "three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes."

The argument agrees that 3% of current retail sales wouldn't be enough. See sentence 4: "The critics are correct on this point." But then the argument says: "Don't worry, dear critics, retail sales are going to increase substantially in our city, and we'll have more enough dough from the sales tax."
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Mar 2018
Posts: 69
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 12:31
perezhan wrote:
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

In the argument given, the two potions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.

(B) The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan.

(C) The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism.

(D) The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.

(E) The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations.


Similar but not the same question from OG is here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/aroca-city-c ... 37810.html



Although I picked A, retrospectively I wonder why E is wrong?
The first is a claim that argument accepts with certain reservations -> three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised is the claim.
Proof that it is accepted -> "The critics are correct on this point."
Reservations -> 3% of current retail sales.

the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations.
Reward -> retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.
Not subject to 3% but subject to 6% or more. But still it is not subject to previous reservations, the answer choice doesn't say not subject to reservations at all.


Any takers?

PS: Apparently reservations mean -"Not able to completely accept". The author accepts that the critics are correct (He didn't have any problems with the first bold face sentence).


Reservation (noun) - a doubt or reason for not accepting or agreeing with something completely.
Usage - We have reservations about letting the children stay home alone.
Source - Cambridge Dictionary.

This is a GRE question probably and not a GMAT question.
Now, how am I supposed to know that reservations mean "Not able to completely accept"? - How many of the test takers do you reckon will know what reservation means?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Turning my handicaps into assets
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 122
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 03:26
Dear experts,

Please share your views on the following matter.

The reason why I didn't select A was "if accurate": The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.

Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca's schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

Doesn't the "if accurate" call the argument into question?Aren't we certain that these facts are indeed true?
_________________
If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2019, 03:26

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne