Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [2]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: Chess [#permalink]
Kudos
IanStewart wrote:
I agree with pkit above; if the answer is C, this is a bad question. Sure, tennis and chess may both be more fun if you play against someone of equal ability. That doesn't mean that it's just as easy to find a suitable chess opponent as it is to find a suitable tennis opponent, and that's the key question here; it may be that all beginning tennis players are roughly equal in ability, or that tennis was already so popular that finding an appropriate opponent is easy. If C told us that it was hard to find a suitable tennis opponent, and yet tennis was still becoming increasingly popular, then C might be a good answer, but as it stands, it doesn't do much to 'undermine' the consortium's opinion, since it doesn't compare tennis and chess on the correct grounds.

Answer A does provide an alternative explanation for the unpopularity of chess - it's expensive. So it's a perfectly good answer.

I'd add that this does seem like one of those poorly constructed prep company questions, and doesn't have much in common with real GMAT CR, so it isn't worth spending time on.

Thank you a lot Ian for helping us!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy
 Q50  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V40
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
IanStewart wrote:
I agree with pkit above; if the answer is C, this is a bad question. Sure, tennis and chess may both be more fun if you play against someone of equal ability. That doesn't mean that it's just as easy to find a suitable chess opponent as it is to find a suitable tennis opponent, and that's the key question here; it may be that all beginning tennis players are roughly equal in ability, or that tennis was already so popular that finding an appropriate opponent is easy. If C told us that it was hard to find a suitable tennis opponent, and yet tennis was still becoming increasingly popular, then C might be a good answer, but as it stands, it doesn't do much to 'undermine' the consortium's opinion, since it doesn't compare tennis and chess on the correct grounds.

Answer A does provide an alternative explanation for the unpopularity of chess - it's expensive. So it's a perfectly good answer.

I'd add that this does seem like one of those poorly constructed prep company questions, and doesn't have much in common with real GMAT CR, so it isn't worth spending time on.

Totally Agree with IanStewart and pkit. I think A is a perfect answer. I was trying to find a loop hole in my logic to see how I could C be an answer. Honestly I had created an explanation as well. But the post from IanStewart and pkit made me realise at times the OA may not be correct and one needs to be confident on his own techniques.

+1 to pkit on this one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Send PM
ezhilkumarank wrote:
Financier wrote:

Answer should be C. Reason:

Options:
A -- Out of scope.
B -- New information introduced and it may or may not weaken the argument.
C -- Good candidate since the line of reasoning proposed by the consortium is broken with a parallel example.
D -- Out of scope.
E -- Out of scope.

C wins.

Yes, you are right. OA is "C".

But I ruled out "C" on the basis that differencies between two games may outweight the similarities between them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
I guess we should stick as close to the stimulus/argument and options at hand. Yes, in the real world there might be various factors coming into play but for this question we need to eliminate all those except for the most common sense assumptions/factors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
ezhilkumarank wrote:
Financier wrote:

Answer should be C. Reason:

Options:
A -- Out of scope.
B -- New information introduced and it may or may not weaken the argument.
C -- Good candidate since the line of reasoning proposed by the consortium is broken with a parallel example.
D -- Out of scope.
E -- Out of scope.

C wins.

Good question ... great explanation
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
My take is A.

Reasoning is:

Premise 1: People enjoy plyaing chess when they have equal intellectual abilities.
A-Premise2: It is hard to find suitable opponent.

B-conclusion: Thus, few people play chess. (becasue of premise2).

A->B in this argument. We have to find either something other than influences B, or demonstrate that the relationship is reversed. actually B->A

So, I see A valid because price of a set of chess is the other factor that influences people to play less chess. Those who like to play intellectual games like chess, actually choose other games, because a set of chess is expensive.

Why in C we compare chess and tenis? Here is an unsupported assumption that even if the games are different the trends in all the games are similar.This may not be true.

Why C?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:

Thanks Ian!

I've burned all official verbal material and want more practice, that's why I study such terrible stuff :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
its clearly C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.95
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
B relies upon an example of two competitive opponents playing one another. This implies that kids should always be able to find a challenging opponent, albeit a computer opponent, of comparable ability to play. This would weaken the argument if the conclusion did not state the difficulty of two persons to find competitive opponents.

Therefore, C seems to be the best option, although certainly not a perfect choice.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts