Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 20:22
gprasant wrote:
Hi, Did you take the practice tests along with both sections of the AWA? I am just about to start taking practice tests now and I would like to know how important it is that you take the AWA along with the practice tests.

Though most Test Prep companies ask you to write the AWA section when you are taking practice tests but to be frank I didn't write the essays even in one practice CATs. Writing the essays as such is quite helpful as it helps you build stamina .However I didn't want to waste one hour while taking the practice CATs in writing the essays. Yes, I was a little scared on the actual day that I may not have the stamina to sail through the exam and maintain my concentration level at peak but I did well. In fact, the AWA section really helped me cool my nerves during the exam.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 08:55
Paulrichards wrote:
gprasant wrote:
Hi, Did you take the practice tests along with both sections of the AWA? I am just about to start taking practice tests now and I would like to know how important it is that you take the AWA along with the practice tests.

Though most Test Prep companies ask you to write the AWA section when you are taking practice tests but to be frank I didn't write the essays even in one practice CATs. Writing the essays as such is quite helpful as it helps you build stamina .However I didn't want to waste one hour while taking the practice CATs in writing the essays. Yes, I was a little scared on the actual day that I may not have the stamina to sail through the exam and maintain my concentration level at peak but I did well. In fact, the AWA section really helped me cool my nerves during the exam.

Hey Paul,
How did you manage Probability ? I'm struggling with it big-time ? How many questions did you get from probaility and P and C ?
Intern
Intern

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 01:48
gmatgunner wrote:
Hey Paul,
How did you manage Probability ? I'm struggling with it big-time ? How many questions did you get from probaility and P and C ?

Frankly speaking, I didn't bother much with Probability and Permutations and combinations. It was too much headache to be taken. I had started with those chapters but somewhere I realized that it's just too difficult for me to handle.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 07:25
Paulrichards wrote:
gmatgunner wrote:
Hey Paul,

Frankly speaking, I didn't bother much with Probability and Permutations and combinations. It was too much headache to be taken. I had started with those chapters but somewhere I realized that it's just too difficult for me to handle.

Thanks,but don't you think that it is too much of risj altogether to skip such a vast area. And you didn't answer how many questions did you get on the GMAT from PnC and probability.
Intern
Intern

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 05:03
gmatgunner wrote:
Paulrichards wrote:
gmatgunner wrote:
Hey Paul,

Thanks,but don't you think that it is too much of risj altogether to skip such a vast area. And you didn't answer how many questions did you get on the GMAT from PnC and probability.

I think that whether you should skip a topic or not is something you have to decide for yourself. I wasn't very comfortable with PnC so that's why i devoted my time and energy in becoming better at other areas. I don't remember exactly how many questions did I get from p&c but I think surely not more than 3.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 23:38
Great score congrats.
Intern
Intern
Abhi: 9

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 23:52
fantastic score.. :) congratulations ..
good luck for your future..!
Intern
Intern

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 01:20
djabhi wrote:
fantastic score.. :) congratulations ..
good luck for your future..!

Thanks. Good luck to you too!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 10:25
Well done and congratulations. It's probably the most systematic debrief which I have read. Thanks for the guidance on the books to refer and the strategy to follow ! Grateful! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 21:16
hustler22 wrote:
Well done and congratulations. It's probably the most systematic debrief which I have read. Thanks for the guidance on the books to refer and the strategy to follow ! Grateful! :)

My pleasure! All the best.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 22:35
This is funny. Just now I was reading on another post how can luck destroy you on the GMAT and here is a person who seems to have luck on his side. Paul, any tips ,mantras I could use or chant to make the God of luck(if there's any) happy ? :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 02:45
invincibleforce wrote:
This is funny. Just now I was reading on another post how can luck destroy you on the GMAT and here is a person who seems to have luck on his side. Paul, any tips ,mantras I could use or chant to make the God of luck(if there's any) happy ? :-D

Yeah I'll give you one the "Gayatri Mantra/Heart Sutra" :wink:

Apart fro this, actually I also observed that ROI on devoting time to PnC is not that spectacular (if I rememebr correctly I did not had a single Q from PnC on D day!).

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Manager
Manager

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 08:50
yogesh1984 wrote:
invincibleforce wrote:

Apart fro this, actually I also observed that ROI on devoting time to PnC is not that spectacular (if I rememebr correctly I did not had a single Q from PnC on D day!).

Hehe. Thanks. Btw, you are going to apply to schools with the score which you already have or are you planning to retake the exam.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 09:52
invincibleforce wrote:
yogesh1984 wrote:
invincibleforce wrote:

Hehe. Thanks. Btw, you are going to apply to schools with the score which you already have or are you planning to retake the exam.

Hmm .. I've been going back & forth on that issue but guess I'll give it another shot! (esp. because I am keen on getting a scholarship & admission only to a very premier institute 8-) - I do not know why I am so rigid on my choice though :wink: ) ....

Manager
Manager

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 23:43
yogesh1984 wrote:

Hmm .. I've been going back & forth on that issue but guess I'll give it another shot! (esp. because I am keen on getting a scholarship & admission only to a very premier institute 8-) - I do not know why I am so rigid on my choice though :wink: ) ....

Oh I see, but as far as I know the premier schools don't get any scholarship .Do they ? I have not heard the top 10 schools offering any scholarship. Have just heard that Darden is the most generous but not other. The thumb rule is that the lower you come down the rankings the better your chances of landing up with a scholarship are.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 05:25
invincibleforce wrote:
yogesh1984 wrote:

Oh I see, but as far as I know the premier schools don't get any scholarship .Do they ? I have not heard the top 10 schools offering any scholarship. Have just heard that Darden is the most generous but not other. The thumb rule is that the lower you come down the rankings the better your chances of landing up with a scholarship are.

I don't know for sure, but top 3 schools actually show good proportions of students getting scholarship (refering purely to the stats provided on their webportals)... may be some admist can throw some light on this topic!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 10:30
Paulrichards wrote:
Hey guys, took the GMAT today and am absolutely ecstatic on getting a 750(Q-50,V-44).

great story and score. i will try to work on the RC 99 as you suggested.
Intern
Intern

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 20:24
yogesh1984 wrote:

I don't know for sure, but top 3 schools actually show good proportions of students getting scholarship (refering purely to the stats provided on their webportals)... may be some admist can throw some light on this topic!

I have gone through the websites of most of the top schools and though they mention about the various fellowship programs they have but haven't come across any page which gives the statistics for the proportion of people landing up with these fellowships. Can you please share the link? Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 22:51
Even I couldn't find any pages which show the percentages of candidates who get scholarships at the top schools in the US. However, I did manage to find the percentage for INSEAD which is around 20%. That means around 180 students in the current batch got financial aid from the school .The figure is not bad . I have attached the financial aid document for INSEAD.
Attachments

FinancingyourMBA.pdf [1.15 MiB]
Downloaded 41 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern

Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 22:44
therock wrote:
Even I couldn't find any pages which show the percentages of candidates who get scholarships at the top schools in the US. However, I did manage to find the percentage for INSEAD which is around 20%. That means around 180 students in the current batch got financial aid from the school .The figure is not bad . I have attached the financial aid document for INSEAD.

Thanks for the document. Any idea about HEC ,Paris ? Couldn't find data about that school also
Re: Clueless how I got a 750(Q-50,V-44)   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2011, 22:44