Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618903 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: According to a school survey conducted last month, the number of stude [#permalink]
Can you explain how A is right answer.
My reasoning is either number of incidents of cheating reduced due to some other reason or the incidents are not reduced, its the reporting of such incidents is reduced.

By the above stated reasoning B shall be right choice as it gives an alternating reasoning for reduction in incidents.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: According to a school survey conducted last month, the number of stude [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
According to a school survey conducted last month, the number of students who regularly attend religious services on campus has increased fifty percent from the figure ten years ago. It must be this increased religiosity at our college that has led to a recent, massive reduction of incidences of cheating on exams.

Which of the following, if true, most significantly weakens the inference above?

Not a great question for practice, I believe:

A is good only because all the other answer choices are totally incorrect. But for A to be correct we have to assume that the students surveyed last month are the same for this month too. But last month may the last year of that school session, and this month all the students are new. In this case, we can not say anything that choice A suggests.

(A) Most of the students who now attend campus services do so only for social reasons.

(B) Campus chaplains have time and again spoken about the importance of academic honesty.

Strengthener : This shows religiosity leads to honesty, and honesty leads to non-cheating behaviour.

(C) Fifteen years ago, the college switched from an honor system to faculty-proctored exams.

Out of scope: Sample is too old to consider.

(D) Only freshmen and sophomores responded to the survey.

Little bit out of scope. But it can be a strengthener as but fresh and old student were taken as sample, and there are chances that both had religious influence.

(E) Cheating was never a major problem at this school.

We are not concerned how major the problem was.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Ashisharora165 wrote:
Can you explain how A is right answer.
My reasoning is either number of incidents of cheating reduced due to some other reason or the incidents are not reduced, its the reporting of such incidents is reduced.

By the above stated reasoning B shall be right choice as it gives an alternating reasoning for the reduction in incidents.

Posted from my mobile device

Conclusion says :
incresed religiosity must be the reason for less chaeting.
To weaken: we have to prove it is not increased religiosity but something else that led to less cheating

A)Students attend services for social reasons so not for religious reasosn so if no religious reasons are there so no increased religiosity so how can it account for less cheating so something else must be causing less chaeting so A is correct

B)Assume b is correct then
it shows religiosity has helped in reduction of cheating so it strengthens the argument but we have to weaken tht

C)College swithced 15 yrs ago but premise says cheating reduced recently so this cannot be reason for less cheating
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
In option A, does "campus services" means "religious services on campus"? I though option A is almost correct but is ultimately wrong because "campus services" could refer to all the campus services, including religious services. But then, every other option seems wrong as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
In option A, does "campus services" means "religious services on campus"? I though option A is almost correct but is ultimately wrong because "campus services" could refer to all the campus services, including religious services. But then, every other option seems wrong as well.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts