Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Algebrax   Word Problemsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [25]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If a rope is cut into three pieces of unequal length, what is the leng [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
If a rope is cut into three pieces of unequal length, what is the length of the shortest of these pieces of rope?
(1) The combined length of the longer two pieces of rope is 12 meters.
(2) The combined length of the shorter two pieces of rope is 11 meters.

Explanation:

I think the question is little ambiguity,

It is understood the question can not be solved by individual statements.

Let us combine both the statements and see....

According to the date S + M + L = Total length (T), shortest (S), largest (L), Middle (M)

(1) The combined length of the longer two pieces of rope is 12 meters. i.e., M + L = 12
(2) The combined length of the shorter two pieces of rope is 11 meters. i.e., S + M = 11

If we subtract both we get L - S = 1, that is the longest of the three is 1 greater than the shortest of the three ( L = S + 1 )

Now if S + M = 11 and M + L = 12, then 5.1 + 5.9 = 11 and 5.9 + 6.1 = 12 , and 5.1 + 5.9 + 6.1 = T ( 17.1) , here the greatest number is 1 greater than the least number, and the total value is 17.1

But 5.2 + 5.8 = 11 and 5.8 + 6.2 = 12 , and 5.2 + 5.8 + 6.2 = T ( 17.2) , here the greatest number is 1 greater than the least number, and the total value is 17.2

We can also check few more decimal values 5.01 + 5.99 = 11 and 5.99 + 6.01 = 12 , and 5.01 + 5.99 + 6.01 = T ( 17.01) , here the greatest number is 1 greater than the least number, and the total value is 17.01.

In the above three cases the lease value could be 5.2, 5.1, 5.01,..... and many more,
so we can not determine the least value as the total is not defined.

The correct answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: If a rope is cut into three pieces of unequal length, what is the leng [#permalink]
Kudos
can't you just take a look here and notice: i have 3 variables, but only 2 (different) equations. therefore, automatically "E"?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
If a rope is cut into three pieces of unequal length, what is the leng [#permalink]
Three pieces are of unequal length. We need to find the sum of lengths of all the pieces.

(1) Insufficient as length of third piece is unknown.

(2) Insufficient for same reason as above.

(1) + (2) together: At first glance looks like two equations and two unknowns but on solving...
Lets say L, M , S are the three pieces,

L + M = 12
M + S = 11

L - S = 1
L = S + 1
If we substitute either L or S above, we just get the other equation.

Again, we cannot solve this as no further info is available.

Hence Option (E) is correct.

Best,
Gladi
gmatbusters wrote:
If a rope is cut into three pieces of unequal length, what is the length of these pieces of rope?

(1) The combined length of the two longer pieces is 12 meters.
(2) The combined of the two shorter pieces is 11 meters.

­
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
gmatbusters wrote:

Project DS Butler: Day 12: Data Sufficiency (DS24)

For DS butler Questions Click Here

If a rope is cut into three pieces of unequal length, what is the length of these pieces of rope?

Good evening gmatbusters , i think you omitted word "length" in statement TWO. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
gmatbusters wrote:

statement one: the length of the two longer pieces could be 5 and 7 or 4 and 8 INSUFFICIENT

statement two: the length of the two shorter pieces could be 3 and 8 INSUFFICIENT

COMBINING BOTH STILL INSUFFICIENT

E :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
LakerFan24 wrote:
can't you just take a look here and notice: i have 3 variables, but only 2 (different) equations. therefore, automatically "E"?

Hi LakerFan24

I thought the same and selected option E, but sometime in GMAT they make options with such twist that we can find answer in same kind situations we had in this question. Like ans might would have been possible if question would have said length of all 3 pieces were in sequence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Think of the 3 lengths as AX XY and YB and AB is the total length, which we do not know the value.

1) AX + XY= 12 not sufficient because we do not the value of YB

2) XY + YB= 11 not sufficient because we do not know the value of AX

1+2) AX+XB=12
XY+YB=11

as a result, we have AX-YB=1 we still do not know the value of AX and YB so not sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Wharton '24
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
i have 3 variables, but only 2 (different) equations
let 3 pieces be of length a,b,c
let length a>b>c
therefor a+b = 12
b+c = 11

solving it will give a-c = 1
hence E both are not sufficient
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [0]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
mciatto wrote:

Let the pieces be of lengths \(a, b,\) and \(c\) respectively where \(a \geq b \geq c\)

(A) \(a+b=12\). Insufficient as we don't know how small the third piece would be. One possible combination is \(8+4+2=14\) and other possible combination is \(8+4+1=13\). Insufficient.

(B) \(b+c=11\). Insufficient as we don't know how large the first piece would be. One possible combination is \(20+8+3=31\) and other possible combination is \(40+8+3=51\). Insufficient.

Combining the two we get,
\(a+b=12\) and \(b+c=11\)
Upon simplification we get \(a=c+1\)
Now we know that \(c\) cannot be \(>\) than \(5.5\)
So let's build two cases and test

Case1:
\(c=5.5\) Therefore, \(a=6.5\) Therefore, \(b=5.5\)
Therefore, \(Total=6.5+5.5+5.5=17.5\)

Case2:
\(c=5\) Therefore, \(a=6\) Therefore, \(b=6\)
Therefore, \(Total=6+6+5=17\)

Clearly as we are arriving at two different answers even on combining the statements, we can safely say that the two statements are even together insufficient.

Hence, E.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts