Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

EC/softs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Wharton R2
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 53
Location: US West Coast
WE 1: semiconductors
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

EC/softs [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 09:21
I want to develop EC activities in the areas I care about - I believe I am lacking somewhat in the activities area. I looked at volunteermatch but that has mostly entry-level volunteer positions and not many with the ones that are internationally known. I will be meeting a few people from a small local nonprofit that I got in touch with recently. But I am unsure if it is a good idea to talk about the official records such as hours planned for volunteering or potential reference for application or a prominent role in the nonprofit should be discussed upfront. I have the following questions if someone here with experience and knowledge about it could share it.

1) what is a good way to find out about good EC opportunities?
2) can one get a prominent role or EC position from the beginning?
3) how does one obtain official recognition for the volunteer/EC work? (certificate for hours volunteered)
4) is there any record or letter stating an official designation in nonprofits?
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 403
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: EC/softs [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 15:04
firsttimer2 wrote:
I want to develop EC activities in the areas I care about - I believe I am lacking somewhat in the activities area. I looked at volunteermatch but that has mostly entry-level volunteer positions and not many with the ones that are internationally known. I will be meeting a few people from a small local nonprofit that I got in touch with recently. But I am unsure if it is a good idea to talk about the official records such as hours planned for volunteering or potential reference for application or a prominent role in the nonprofit should be discussed upfront. I have the following questions if someone here with experience and knowledge about it could share it.

1) what is a good way to find out about good EC opportunities?
2) can one get a prominent role or EC position from the beginning?
3) how does one obtain official recognition for the volunteer/EC work? (certificate for hours volunteered)
4) is there any record or letter stating an official designation in nonprofits?


1) If you work at a big company, they often have a corporate giving side, which can easily set you up with a non-profit. Do you want to work at an org focused on education, the environment, music, diseases, etc? It helps to know what area.
2) Probably not
3) You can keep track of your hours and have your supervisor at the EC sign off on it, but most likely it won't make sense to have him/her write you a letter of rec. I work for a non-profit, and mostly I just get phone calls asking to verify volunteer work.
4) Non-profits have a 501c(3) designation. I don't see why you would need it.
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Wharton R2
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 53
Location: US West Coast
WE 1: semiconductors
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: EC/softs [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 12:51
machichi wrote:
firsttimer2 wrote:
I want to develop EC activities in the areas I care about - I believe I am lacking somewhat in the activities area. I looked at volunteermatch but that has mostly entry-level volunteer positions and not many with the ones that are internationally known. I will be meeting a few people from a small local nonprofit that I got in touch with recently. But I am unsure if it is a good idea to talk about the official records such as hours planned for volunteering or potential reference for application or a prominent role in the nonprofit should be discussed upfront. I have the following questions if someone here with experience and knowledge about it could share it.

1) what is a good way to find out about good EC opportunities?
2) can one get a prominent role or EC position from the beginning?
3) how does one obtain official recognition for the volunteer/EC work? (certificate for hours volunteered)
4) is there any record or letter stating an official designation in nonprofits?


1) If you work at a big company, they often have a corporate giving side, which can easily set you up with a non-profit. Do you want to work at an org focused on education, the environment, music, diseases, etc? It helps to know what area.
2) Probably not
3) You can keep track of your hours and have your supervisor at the EC sign off on it, but most likely it won't make sense to have him/her write you a letter of rec. I work for a non-profit, and mostly I just get phone calls asking to verify volunteer work.
4) Non-profits have a 501c(3) designation. I don't see why you would need it.



Letter of rec from a nonprofit worker makes a lot of sense as some schools want 3 rec letters. This makes it mandatory to have an official title at the nonprofit or an official affiliation with it. Anything that can make a real difference to one's app (in this case nonprofit work ex) has to have a verifiable quality to it.

Is there a good way to broach open the discussion regarding official paperwork when meeting with nonprofit individuals?

Thanks in advance.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 403
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: EC/softs [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 13:50
I've written recs for the occasional volunteer, but only if they've been with us for a year and contributed a significant number of hours.

Do not bring up your interest in a letter until you need it. It will feel like your interest is disingenuous. That's not going to build strong vibes. Think about it this way. If they like you, they will be delighted to write you a rec and help you in your life because they will feel like you've helped them too!
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 50
Location: NY
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: EC/softs [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 17:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
firsttimer2 wrote:
machichi wrote:
firsttimer2 wrote:
I want to develop EC activities in the areas I care about - I believe I am lacking somewhat in the activities area. I looked at volunteermatch but that has mostly entry-level volunteer positions and not many with the ones that are internationally known. I will be meeting a few people from a small local nonprofit that I got in touch with recently. But I am unsure if it is a good idea to talk about the official records such as hours planned for volunteering or potential reference for application or a prominent role in the nonprofit should be discussed upfront. I have the following questions if someone here with experience and knowledge about it could share it.

1) what is a good way to find out about good EC opportunities?
2) can one get a prominent role or EC position from the beginning?
3) how does one obtain official recognition for the volunteer/EC work? (certificate for hours volunteered)
4) is there any record or letter stating an official designation in nonprofits?


1) If you work at a big company, they often have a corporate giving side, which can easily set you up with a non-profit. Do you want to work at an org focused on education, the environment, music, diseases, etc? It helps to know what area.
2) Probably not
3) You can keep track of your hours and have your supervisor at the EC sign off on it, but most likely it won't make sense to have him/her write you a letter of rec. I work for a non-profit, and mostly I just get phone calls asking to verify volunteer work.
4) Non-profits have a 501c(3) designation. I don't see why you would need it.



Letter of rec from a nonprofit worker makes a lot of sense as some schools want 3 rec letters. This makes it mandatory to have an official title at the nonprofit or an official affiliation with it. Anything that can make a real difference to one's app (in this case nonprofit work ex) has to have a verifiable quality to it.

Is there a good way to broach open the discussion regarding official paperwork when meeting with nonprofit individuals?

Thanks in advance.



If you want to 'develop EC activities in the areas you care about,' then pursue them without regard to #2, 3, and 4. I'm preaching here but, having read hundreds of essays, I can sniff out a client who pursued an EC to pad the resume in seconds. Your recommender will feel the same. Best advice is to do something that you truly enjoy doing and that is meaningful to you, as you already stated.

And, by the way, an EC DOES NOT HAVE TO BE WITH A NON-PROFIT. You do not need to be a saint to get into the top business schools. Moreover, you don't even need an EC. The reason AdCom's like to see ECs is because it shows a certain level of engagement / commitment in something else other than your own personal gain.

I always advise clients that they need to demonstrate EMPATHY in their essays, not merely write about an EC. That broadens the range of potential activities. For example, even if you've never volunteered at a homeless shelter, you can write an essay on helping your grandparents apply for Medicare. That demonstrates EMPATHY. Look for other areas in your life where you've helped others, formally or informally.

HBS Grad
www.mbaadcom.com
formerly, www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com
_________________

HBS Grad
http://www.mbaadcom.com
formerly http://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com

Re: EC/softs   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2012, 17:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

EC/softs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.