Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ellipse vs. Parallel

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Ellipse vs. Parallel [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2007, 18:36
Guys, I am all confused. How common is Ellipse tested on GMAT? It seems like every time I am choosing an answer choice that seems to be parallel, it turns out that it is an ellipse. And then when I start thinking something that might be an ellipse, it turns out to be parallel. :x

I have identified a couple of questions that tests on these. Please help me understand when to use Ellipse and when to use Parallel. When in doubt, which one do I pick?

11.The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.
(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he


It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as those that are against a person.
(A) those that are against a
(B) those against a
(C) it is against a
(D) preventing those against a
(E) it is to prevent those against a

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.
(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have
(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did
(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had
(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had
(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents

BAseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed.
a) as present as the weather, and as much discussed
b) present like the weather was and it was also discussed as much
c) as present and was discussed as the weather was
d) so present as to be discussed like the weather
e) present and discussed as often as the weather was
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2007, 18:40
Answers: 1. E 2. E 3.B 4.A
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 767
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 04:24
My take is: 1A 2E 3B 4A
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 521
Location: Indonesia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 06:34
same here A, E, B, A

Amar
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 07:29
my answers: A B B A
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ellipse vs. Parallel [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 22:17
aliensoybean wrote:
Guys, I am all confused. How common is Ellipse tested on GMAT? It seems like every time I am choosing an answer choice that seems to be parallel, it turns out that it is an ellipse. And then when I start thinking something that might be an ellipse, it turns out to be parallel. :x

I have identified a couple of questions that tests on these. Please help me understand when to use Ellipse and when to use Parallel. When in doubt, which one do I pick?

11.The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.
(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he


It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as those that are against a person.
(A) those that are against a
(B) those against a
(C) it is against a
(D) preventing those against a
(E) it is to prevent those against a

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.
(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have
(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did
(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had
(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had
(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents

BAseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed.
a) as present as the weather, and as much discussed
b) present like the weather was and it was also discussed as much
c) as present and was discussed as the weather was
d) so present as to be discussed like the weather
e) present and discussed as often as the weather was


I said A E B E. Agree w/ A on the last one.

Theres no way 1 is E. "Than he" is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Posts: 157
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 01:54
I think "than he" is actually correct - it's simply short for "than he was". A verb is understood, so the pronoun has to be the subject of the verb.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 03:14
I picked E ,B , B , A
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Posts: 183
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ellipse vs. Parallel [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 09:10
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
aliensoybean wrote:
Guys, I am all confused. How common is Ellipse tested on GMAT? It seems like every time I am choosing an answer choice that seems to be parallel, it turns out that it is an ellipse. And then when I start thinking something that might be an ellipse, it turns out to be parallel. :x

I have identified a couple of questions that tests on these. Please help me understand when to use Ellipse and when to use Parallel. When in doubt, which one do I pick?

11.The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.
(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he


It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as those that are against a person.
(A) those that are against a
(B) those against a
(C) it is against a
(D) preventing those against a
(E) it is to prevent those against a

Inflation has made many Americans reevaluate their assumptions about the future; they still expect to live better than their parents have, but not so well as they once thought they could.
(A) they still expect to live better than their parents have
(B) they still expect to live better than their parents did
(C) they still expect to live better than their parents had
(D) still expecting to live better than their parents had
(E) still expecting to live better than did their parents

BAseball, the only major professional sport during the Great Depression, was as present as the weather, and as much discussed.
a) as present as the weather, and as much discussed
b) present like the weather was and it was also discussed as much
c) as present and was discussed as the weather was
d) so present as to be discussed like the weather
e) present and discussed as often as the weather was


I said A E B E. Agree w/ A on the last one.

Theres no way 1 is E. "Than he" is incorrect.


E is correct. An elliptical sentence is "grammatically sound when the reader can mentally fill the blank-that is, round out the elliptical construction-by inserting a word or words that have been presented elsewhere in the sentence".

example #1
Mark has been hiking these trails longer than I / me [have].

"I" is required as you need a subjective pronoun w/ the elliptical verb have.

example #2
I feel more for him than [I feel] for she / her.
"Her" is required as you need a objective pronoun.

example #3
Dahlia is nearly as fast as he / him [is].
What sounds right - He is or Him is??
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 18:09
1) ‘B’ & ‘D’ – more wealthy – incorrect, it should be wealthier
Will go for 'A'

2) Between 'E' & 'C' -
Will take a chance and go for 'C' - Ellipsis

3) 'B'
'did' - better describes the past actions in its past simple tense than 'had'

4) 'E'
'C' - was is redundant
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 767
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 07:16
What are the OAs?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 10:57
I posted up the official answers..... I am confused by the whole Ellipse stuff. How often is it tested? For example, for the first one, I picked C because it somehow sounded right to say, "they were better than he was" or "people were better than he was." When deciding between he vs. him, I always reverse the sentence. EX: "they were better than he/him" --> "no, he was better." "They arrived before her/she" --> "no, she arrived first". Everyone agree? But based on this logic, it also sounds natural to say, "they were better than he was" or "they arrived before he did". "He is wealthier than I am". So, that's why I dont understand why the answer isn't C.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 17:14
aliensoybean wrote:
I posted up the official answers..... I am confused by the whole Ellipse stuff. How often is it tested? For example, for the first one, I picked C because it somehow sounded right to say, "they were better than he was" or "people were better than he was." When deciding between he vs. him, I always reverse the sentence. EX: "they were better than he/him" --> "no, he was better." "They arrived before her/she" --> "no, she arrived first". Everyone agree? But based on this logic, it also sounds natural to say, "they were better than he was" or "they arrived before he did". "He is wealthier than I am". So, that's why I dont understand why the answer isn't C.


Though I got it wrong I will have another go at it.. Let us see if it makes sense

For first one...let us break the sentence just after that

in (A)

that
he - pronoun for the Subject
was a small-town Midwesterner - adjective phrase
Missing action or Verb
hence Missing Object on which the action is to be performed

who - another pronoun for the same subject - incorrect, as it is wordy and redundant
thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people - Good one, no issues with this
than - conjunction for unequal comparison
him. - incorrect it should be he

On Ellipsis - if the verb in the same form is already repeated, it need not be repeated again.
Again this is one of those rules mostly meant for comparison.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 66
Location: United States
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 14

Re: Ellipse vs. Parallel [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 17:29
I answered C as well :(

my thought after seeing the OA is
him is incorrect here (subject needed).
between C and E:
In C, wealthier (people), better educated (people) and people more polished are not parallel.
In E - wealthier (people), better-educated (people) and more polished people are parallel
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 73
Location: United States
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 189

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Re: Ellipse vs. Parallel [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 13:08
Expert's post
#1 is E - "Than he" is correct, guys.

Here is the complete (E):

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he.

Getting rid of the stuff that doesn't matter:
The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he.

So now we have:

He was thrust into a world dominated by more polished people than he.

Which implies:

He was thrust into a world dominated by more polished people than he was.

The second was is implied because we're using the comparison signal "more polished than" to compare two clauses. When you compare clauses, you can often use the elliptical construction (except with some comparison signals, most notably like/unlike which are restricted to comparing nouns). Because "he" is a subject pronoun and "him" is an object pronoun, "he" is actually preferable here.

A similar (legal) construction would be the following sentence:

She is more accomplished than I.

There are other issues with the other answer choices here, but I wanted to point out that "he" is just fine in (E).
_________________

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1092
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ellipse vs. Parallel [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 11:18
bump:

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.

(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was

In these sentences, is the use of 'had been' correct? I do see the other issues, but had been does make sense here. right?
_________________

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 92
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 9

Re: Ellipse vs. Parallel [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 09:25
Alien,

What is/are the source/sources of these questions?

Thanks,
BC
Re: Ellipse vs. Parallel   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2012, 09:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
66 Experts publish their posts in the topic PARALLELISM: GRAMMAR VS LOGIC egmat 40 05 Nov 2012, 12:29
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic And vs Parallelism kumvinod 5 07 Aug 2012, 01:03
comparison and ellipses someone79 1 27 Dec 2011, 18:27
5 More on Ellipses SaraiGMAT 3 03 Jul 2010, 02:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ellipse vs. Parallel

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.