Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

EXCEPT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 7

EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 19:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The postal service is badly mismanaged. Forty years ago, first-class letter delivery cost only three cents. Since then, the price has increased nearly tenfold, with an actual decrease in the speed and reliability of service.
Each of the following statements, if true, would tend to weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

A. The volume of mail handled by the postal service has increased dramatically over the last forty years.

B. Unprecedented increases in the cost of fuel for trucks and planes have put severe upward pressures on postal delivery costs.

C. Private delivery services usually charge more than does the postal service for comparable delivery charges.

D. The average delivery time for a first-class letter four decades ago was actually slightly longer than it is today.

E. The average level of consumer prices overall has increased more than 300 percent over the last forty years.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 20:49
IMO C

All the rest weakens the argument.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 21:13
rao_1857 wrote:
The postal service is badly mismanaged. Forty years ago, first-class letter delivery cost only three cents. Since then, the price has increased nearly tenfold, with an actual decrease in the speed and reliability of service.
Each of the following statements, if true, would tend to weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

A. The volume of mail handled by the postal service has increased dramatically over the last forty years.

B. Unprecedented increases in the cost of fuel for trucks and planes have put severe upward pressures on postal delivery costs.

C. Private delivery services usually charge more than does the postal service for comparable delivery charges.

D. The average delivery time for a first-class letter four decades ago was actually slightly longer than it is today.

E. The average level of consumer prices overall has increased more than 300 percent over the last forty years.

E for me.
say before 40 yrs level of consumer price was x, it is 4*x (x+3x)now
But the price for postal service became 10* earlier price.
This supports the conclusion.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 21:17
rao_1857 wrote:

A
the statement does not address cost or efficiency
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 22:02
rao_1857 wrote:

Small trick...E should be the answer. It strengthens...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 23:35
Agree with E.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 09:17
rao_1857 wrote:

IMO E)
Director
Director

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 12:16
I am little confused as to how E is strengthening the argument.

The argument talk about 10 time increase where as E only shows a 3 times increse.

Whereas in C, it talks about a completly different things (Other postal services) which has nothing to do with the stimuli.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 15:52
I am lobbying between A and C

What is OA?

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 16:06
it seems the major confusion is between E and C

i will go for C

why ? : C has a comparison between two services,which in no way can strengthen or weaken the argument.

why not E ? : E says the the consumer prices have increased 300% which is in sync with the increase in the postal prices , this will weaken (though not strongly) the assertion of the author that postal services are now badly handled.The statement E means that everything is getting costly so is postal service.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 17:06
One more vote for C.

E is in the lines of the conclusion. Also it says more than 300 % increase overall.. which can be 1000 % increase for some services..
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 18:33
rao_1857 wrote:

A. The volume of mail handled by the postal service has increased dramatically over the last forty years. ->since volume increased ,speed might decrease and cost per also increases ,hence weakens a given argument!!!weakens

B. Unprecedented increases in the cost of fuel for trucks and planes have put severe upward pressures on postal delivery costs. -> there is some other reason for price increase !!weakens

C. Private delivery services usually charge more than does the postal service for comparable delivery charges. -> neither strengthens nor weakens!!

D. The average delivery time for a first-class letter four decades ago was actually slightly longer than it is today. -> weakens says speed increased Weakens

E. The average level of consumer prices overall has increased more than 300 percent over the last forty years. -> weakens since overall prices increased not to blame postal Weakens.INFLATION led to prise rise in postal hence postal not mismanaged

IMO C

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 18:41
spriya wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

A. The volume of mail handled by the postal service has increased dramatically over the last forty years. ->since volume increased ,speed might decrease and cost per also increases ,hence weakens a given argument!!!weakens

B. Unprecedented increases in the cost of fuel for trucks and planes have put severe upward pressures on postal delivery costs. -> there is some other reason for price increase !!weakens

C. Private delivery services usually charge more than does the postal service for comparable delivery charges. -> neither strengthens nor weakens!!

D. The average delivery time for a first-class letter four decades ago was actually slightly longer than it is today. -> weakens says speed increased Weakens

E. The average level of consumer prices overall has increased more than 300 percent over the last forty years. -> weakens since overall prices increased not to blame postal Weakens.INFLATION led to prise rise in postal hence postal not mismanaged

IMO C

Im confused between the two E and C ,Though i selected C .

But my line of reasoning !!
C-> private delivery costs usually charge more than postal delivery of same -> in a way can weaken since seeing just first class letter delivery does not ensure overal cost of postal services !!!
But this can be considered neutral too provided private delivery is not under postal industry-> VAGUE OPTION

E-> average level of consumer prices overall has increased 300% over last forty years -> general increase lked to postal increase hence -> cant say postal is mismanaged
->also it can be treated as neutral option since postal is a seperate industry

Im still in favour of C since E appears to weaken the argument

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 18:43
I agree with C too. But surprisingly OA is E....

Any body wanna defend E and explain why C is wrong?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 23:28
rao_1857 wrote:

I also selected C first. But, after knowing the OA, I am trying to reason why C is wrong.

C does mention that cost of private delivery services is usually more than that of postal services. This weakens the argument that concludes that postal services are costly.

E talks of average consumer price level increasing by more than 300%. This could be attributed to multiple increases in various consumer price levels.....prices for postal services could have increased by 1000% whereas price for essential food items could have increased by just 50%......etc.....making the average consumer price level increase to more than 300%.
VP
VP

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 02:47
scthakur wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

I also selected C first. But, after knowing the OA, I am trying to reason why C is wrong.

C does mention that cost of private delivery services is usually more than that of postal services. This weakens the argument that concludes that postal services are costly.

E talks of average consumer price level increasing by more than 300%. This could be attributed to multiple increases in various consumer price levels.....prices for postal services could have increased by 1000% whereas price for essential food items could have increased by just 50%......etc.....making the average consumer price level increase to more than 300%.

exactly even i wanted to make the same same point !!C weakens and E neither strengthens nor weakens

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 1

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 03:14
spriya wrote:
scthakur wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

exactly even i wanted to make the same same point !!C weakens and E neither strengthens nor weakens

and besides, we're trying to find an answer that would claim that even though X became more expensive, doesn't mean that X should be considered bad. So what if Y happens to be more expensive than X? It doesn't tell us anything about whether X is good or bad. I find C is out of score, so that's why I picked C.

I still can't understand why C is wrong. The argument concludes that X is bad because it's getting more expensive. Just because Y happens to be more expensive than X doesn't weaken the fact that X is still expensive. Are you trying to tell me that if you want to buy a car that costs $50,000, just because you found another car that costs $100,000 doesn't mean that the cost of $50,000 is no longer expensive. That's why I picked C. Can anyone explain???

Another important point: The argument didn't say that X is the WORST of all the mail delivery services. The argument has focused on only X. So even if Y is more expensive, SO WHAT???? For all we know, Y could be badly mismanaged even more than X.
VP
VP

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 09:19
spriya wrote:
scthakur wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

and besides, we're trying to find an answer that would claim that even though X became more expensive, doesn't mean that X should be considered bad. So what if Y happens to be more expensive than X? It doesn't tell us anything about whether X is good or bad. I find C is out of score, so that's why I picked C.

I still can't understand why C is wrong. The argument concludes that X is bad because it's getting more expensive. Just because Y happens to be more expensive than X doesn't weaken the fact that X is still expensive. Are you trying to tell me that if you want to buy a car that costs $50,000, just because you found another car that costs $100,000 doesn't mean that the cost of $50,000 is no longer expensive. That's why I picked C. Can anyone explain???

Another important point: The argument didn't say that X is the WORST of all the mail delivery services. The argument has focused on only X. So even if Y is more expensive, SO WHAT???? For all we know, Y could be badly mismanaged even more than X.

Acc to the above highlighted text ,we can say !!what if .... all other services have increased in price ,hence its not just postal,hence it cant be considered the reason for deterioration of service -> clearly weakens !!i dont agree with C as OA

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 1

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 10:12
Spriya,

I really don't know why I still have an issue with option C. Fine, so it's not just the postal that is badly mismanaged because now we have the Private Delivery Services that could be even worst, but that doesn't change the fact that the postal is still badly mismanaged. The argument didn't claim that the postal is the WORST delivery service because if it did, then I can agree why it would be relevant to include issues from other competitors such as the Private Delivery Services.

are you trying to tell me that because the Private Delivery Services have been shown to be worst than the Postal, now the Postal is no longer badly mismanaged? I really don't see how this weakens it. Either i need a serious help with this problem or i'm loosing it....heheh.....would you please explain?
thanks
Director
Director

Re: EXCEPT [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 12:18
tarek99 wrote:
Spriya,

I really don't know why I still have an issue with option C. Fine, so it's not just the postal that is badly mismanaged because now we have the Private Delivery Services that could be even worst, but that doesn't change the fact that the postal is still badly mismanaged. The argument didn't claim that the postal is the WORST delivery service because if it did, then I can agree why it would be relevant to include issues from other competitors such as the Private Delivery Services.

are you trying to tell me that because the Private Delivery Services have been shown to be worst than the Postal, now the Postal is no longer badly mismanaged? I really don't see how this weakens it. Either i need a serious help with this problem or i'm loosing it....heheh.....would you please explain?
thanks

Conclusion says:

The postal service is badly mismanaged. Becasue X, Y and Z

C --> Private delivery services usually charge more than does the postal service for comparable delivery charges

This no where suggestes that Postal svc is mismanaged. In if this do anything it will support the Postal svc... bacause they are providing the same svc with even less charge!
Re: EXCEPT   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2008, 12:18