Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [14]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618653 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [0]
Send PM
Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in well-publ [#permalink]
Marcab wrote:
I feel the answer is D, though I am still not convinced with the usage of "many cases". (That is where I have doubt why it should be many when there should have been all cases.)
B is wrong because it asks for obligation.
C is too strong in that it uses "properly". (Properly in ............some cases ,One thing can be done properly..........but in some cases ,what is wrong?)
A doesn't passes the fact test.
Between D and E, I eliminated E because "the principle of equality before the law rules out using fame and publicity as relevant considerations". But there can be other reasons as well apart from "being famous or doing publicity stunts".
Let us know what others feel about this question.

My comments in red above.

My take (C).
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in well-publ [#permalink]
But how can you say that it was properly or not properly.
We are not in a position to comment how much it was overridden.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [0]
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
But how can you say that it was properly or not properly.
We are not in a position to comment how much it was overridden.

It is a conclusion based question,and If I am not wrong IMO conclusion is the last line which summarizes the whole idea behind the argument.Had it been an inference question I would have agreed with you as it wouldn't be possible to use "properly" then.
But in conclusion question IMO "properly" is correct.
Plz advice

In (D). then according to your line of reasoning,"in many cases" and "violation of law" is a new idea and cannot be the conclusion.Moreover,Fame and publicity are ruled out by law ,still celebrities can use other things which are considerable under law to avoid jail .

Plz Advice
Director
Director
Send PM
It is a Must be true question.
Just because "conclusion" comes in the question stem, doesn't makes it a conclusion type question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in well-publicized trials are increasingly sentenced to the performance of community service, though unknown defendants convicted of similar crimes almost always serve prison sentences. However, the principle of equality before the law rules out using fame and publicity as relevant considerations in the sentencing of convicted criminals.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following conclusions?
A. The principle of equality before the law is rigorously applied in only a few types of criminal trials.
B. The number of convicted celebrities sentenced to community service should equal the number of convicted unknown defendants sentenced to community service.
C. The principle of equality before the law can properly be overridden by other principles in some cases.
D. The sentencing of celebrities to community service instead of prison constitutes a violation of the principle of equality before the law in many cases.
E. The principle of equality before the law does not allow for leniency in sentencing.

OA:Not specified in my file

Close one between C and D but i will go with D because C is sounding more generic "some cases ". What kind of cases ? Cases involving influential people or politicians or poor people ? We are not sure. hence d , which is more clear about what is being talked about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello there,

may i know what is the exact answer to this question? I feel E is the right answer. Pls do provide the explanation for the correct answer as well as the explanations to why the other options are incorrect. Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
could anyone explain why E is wrong? i found E to be little strong and i discarded it, while option D has captured the contents of the premise and hence i opted for option D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I was deciding between A and D as both seem to me quite similar. I decided to go with D as it specifically mentions celebrities.

Could someone explain to me what is wrong with A? Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
By POE, there were 2 options C & D that I could consider valid-
C. The principle of equality before the law can properly be overridden by other principles in some cases.
I did not chose this because of 'by other principles' as that is no where mentioned.
Hence chose D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in well-publicized trials are increasingly sentenced to the performance of community service, though unknown defendants convicted of similar crimes almost always serve prison sentences. However, the principle of equality before the law rules out using fame and publicity as relevant considerations in the sentencing of convicted criminals.

Conclusion is Equality of law should apply to all regardless of their stature but it doesnt happen.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following conclusions?

A. The principle of equality before the law is rigorously applied in only a few types of criminal trials. - Types of criminal trials can mean classification on lot more things than just the stature[fame or publicity] of the person.
B. The number of convicted celebrities sentenced to community service should equal the number of convicted unknown defendants sentenced to community service. - This doesnt mean that we should have equal number of celebrities and unknown defendants serving community service.
C. The principle of equality before the law can properly be overridden by other principles in some cases. - Other principles is very vague and can mean a lot of things.
D. The sentencing of celebrities to community service instead of prison constitutes a violation of the principle of equality before the law in many cases. - Although i was sceptic of this choice because of many cases as we are not sure of the number here but, still it is the best conclusion out there.
E. The principle of equality before the law does not allow for leniency in sentencing - this is not true as per the stimuli, it can account for leneincy just not based on the stature
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts