Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Feedback on GMAT study plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Feedback on GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 04:03
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to say that I stumbled upon this website recently and I think it is fantastic!! Great place to find information on GMAT and the MBA process. I have been going over the various sections in detail

As everyone else, I am looking to get a very high score - 760+ and am willing to spend some serious time on the preparation. Would really appreciate it if I could have some feedback on my proposed plan.

1. Start with Manhattam GMAT Math (all 5) + Manhattan SC + Powerscore CR + Manhattan RC - to learn basics
2. Detailed specific practice with American Education Aids (older GMAT questions- used in 2005/2006)
3. OG 10 + OG 11 + OG supplements Verbal +Quant
4. Kaplan 800, PR 1012 - work on weaknesses

Complete 1-4 in 8-10 weeks

5. Veritas - Join class/Online course/get material - for revision/new approach - to fill gaps
6. 4GMAT Material - both Quant and Verbal
7. OG 12 + OG supplements Verbal + Quant - 2nd version

Complete 5-7 in 8 weeks

8. GMAT club tests + LSAT material - work on weaknesses
9. 1000 SC,1000 RC...Brutal SCs
10. Full length tests - Both Paper and CATs

Complete 8-10 - 6 weeks

LSAT material - Next 10 Actual tests + LSAT super prep

I have listed the material in order in which they were available. I would really appreciate if if you could give me some feedback on this plan as well as help me with the following questions:

1. I have Powerscore CR for GMAT - would I need LSAT LR bible?
2. Is LSAT RC a must- if I have some actual tests?
3. Do I need to get more LSAT material?
4. Am I focusing on too much easy material? - I tend to need more practice than others to get confidence.
5. Anything else I should be focusing on or any other material/plan
6. I believe I should be able to finish this in about 6 months- Is this too much time?

I know this seems like a lot of material but I tend to need more practice than others to be confident.Also, I have been out of school for a long time now so feel that I need the extra time. I am yet to take a diagnostic-but know that I am very rusty with Math and am yet to figure out the Verbal sections.

Would really appreciate your feedback on this plan.

Thanks very much.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: Feedback on GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 04:18
roshnipat,

Have a look at this link from GMAT Club. It's got a list of books depending on your study plan.

best-gmat-books-77703.html

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 474 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Feedback on GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi roshnipat! Welcome to gmat club! :)

What a wonderful first post you have!!! I think your plan looks fantastic but the thing which bothers me is the use of so many resources. Believe me quantity doesn't matter in gmat. My suggestion will be to join an online or a class course from one of the top tier companies. You can check this thread out for more detail. gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html

One additional resource that I would recommend is gmat club tests. That are great for advanced Q practice. You can use some material for practice like paper tests, power prep etc, but dont try every bit of resource out there. In your mail, I saw Kaplan, Veritas, Princeton, MGMAt, every resource. :)

Secondly, I am not a fan of 1000 SC, instead I recommend GMAT Prep SC document & that too in the very end of your preparation.

Lastly, be here at this forum, & one thing is for sure, you will get a lot of stuff. Participate & keep us posted. Best of luck. (I have tried to answer your queries in blue below).

roshnipat wrote:
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to say that I stumbled upon this website recently and I think it is fantastic!! Great place to find information on GMAT and the MBA process. I have been going over the various sections in detail

As everyone else, I am looking to get a very high score - 760+ and am willing to spend some serious time on the preparation. Would really appreciate it if I could have some feedback on my proposed plan.

1. Start with Manhattam GMAT Math (all 5) + Manhattan SC + Powerscore CR + Manhattan RC - to learn basics
2. Detailed specific practice with American Education Aids (older GMAT questions- used in 2005/2006)
3. OG 10 + OG 11 + OG supplements Verbal +Quant
4. Kaplan 800, PR 1012 - work on weaknesses

Complete 1-4 in 8-10 weeks

5. Veritas - Join class/Online course/get material - for revision/new approach - to fill gaps
6. 4GMAT Material - both Quant and Verbal
7. OG 12 + OG supplements Verbal + Quant - 2nd version

Complete 5-7 in 8 weeks

8. GMAT club tests + LSAT material - work on weaknesses
9. 1000 SC,1000 RC...Brutal SCs
10. Full length tests - Both Paper and CATs

Complete 8-10 - 6 weeks

LSAT material - Next 10 Actual tests + LSAT super prep

I have listed the material in order in which they were available. I would really appreciate if if you could give me some feedback on this plan as well as help me with the following questions:

1. I have Powerscore CR for GMAT - would I need LSAT LR bible? IMO power score CR is sufficient, you can use LSAT LR bible just for additional practice, but I will still not recommend that.
2. Is LSAT RC a must- if I have some actual tests? Again, you can use that for practice, try out the Gin's approach & practice a lot. IMO, LSAT RC is not a must.
3. Do I need to get more LSAT material? No!!
4. Am I focusing on too much easy material? - I tend to need more practice than others to get confidence. You are focusing on quantity IMO, quality is more imp.
5. Anything else I should be focusing on or any other material/plan. Focus on concepts building, tons of material will not let you learn concepts. A single book can also do that.
6. I believe I should be able to finish this in about 6 months- Is this too much time? It depends on what situation are you in. If you are a working professional, perhaps its ok, but a perfect time is 3-4 months.

I know this seems like a lot of material but I tend to need more practice than others to be confident.Also, I have been out of school for a long time now so feel that I need the extra time. I am yet to take a diagnostic-but know that I am very rusty with Math and am yet to figure out the Verbal sections.

Would really appreciate your feedback on this plan.

Thanks very much.

Kindly also check this thread

gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Feedback on GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 16:41
Expert's post
This is a lot of stuff. For me, it wasn't about quality versus quantity, but finding the right balance. Both are necessary for a successful performance.

I'm also not a GMAT course enthusiast. It might be a decent option for those who are very rusty and need help to build a basic foundation. Some also rely on courses for adhering to a study schedule. But GMAT classes, for the most part, will not take its students to a 700-plus score. To perform well, one needs the right study materials and a strong work ethic. Another essential ingredient is time - not too much or too little, but the right amount of time. Six months is the absolute maximum. Any more than that is too risky due to GMAT fatigue. It may very well set in before this point. Be careful.

roshnipat wrote:
I have Powerscore CR for GMAT - would I need LSAT LR bible?

I recommend the Powerscore LR Bible only to those who are both very weak in CR and aim for a very high score. In most cases, though, the Powerscore CR Bible is perfect. Since you already have the CR Bible, stick with that. You'll be fine.

roshnipat wrote:
Is LSAT RC a must- if I have some actual tests?

If we're talking about an LSAT RC guide, then probably not. I usually don't even recommend a GMAT RC guide. For questions, however, LSAT sources are pretty good. I recommend them. The passages are longer and more complex than GMAT ones. The questions themselves are also more challenging. But make sure to use GMAT RC too!

roshnipat wrote:
Do I need to get more LSAT material?

At most, get the LSAT SuperPrep. It has three tests along with the explanations, which helps. But no more than that for LSAT questions.

roshnipat wrote:
Am I focusing on too much easy material? - I tend to need more practice than others to get confidence.

As Hussain15 stated, there's probably too much going on here. Too much of a good thing is still too much.

roshnipat wrote:
Anything else I should be focusing on or any other material/plan

For math questions, I feel that the combination of the OG books, the GMATClub Tests, and Jeff Sackmann's math sets is perfect. For verbal questions, use the OG and actively participate in the verbal forums for CR and SC. Incorporate some LSAT RC questions too.

In terms of studying, I found that re-reading the MGMAT books helped out quite a bit. You don't have to redo the questions in the book, though. Just review the math books and the SC guide.

You seem very enthusiastic about LSAT materials. Check out this link. It should contain all the information that you need.

roshnipat wrote:
I believe I should be able to finish this in about 6 months- Is this too much time?

It's probably too much time. Again, GMAT fatigue is very dangerous.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Feedback on GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 06:54
Agree with above on fatigue. I also think that if you bounce too much, you might get too many competing frameworks/approaches in your head. Sometimes a few key ideas from 1 source, possibly 2 might be cleaner and easier to execute come test day. If you are crammed to the gills with things that you have seen, you might not be able to sift through fast enough.

Best of luck!

Aveek Guha, President, http://mbadaycamp.com/school_prospects.php
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Feedback on GMAT study plan [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 20:11
Thank you all for your responses. I was concerned that I was trying to cover too much!!

Thank you Hussain15 and bmillan01 for your detailed feedback and advice. I will work on streamlining this plan to cover the most commonly used resources in a more realistic time frame. I am working professional with other commitments as well - so 3-4 months might be a bit ambitious.

Thank you bmillan01 for the link to the LSAT material - its what I was looking for - I am still new to the forum(have been lurking for a about 10 days) and need to find my way around it.

I look forward to being an active participant to the forum. This seems to be a great place to be!!

Thanks again.
Re: Feedback on GMAT study plan   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2010, 20:11