Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [98]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [4]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bipolarbear wrote:
Well, clearly the Official Quant and Verbal books need to be on the list.
I think most people agree that Manhattan GMAT sentence correction is one of the best books out there...

Thank you - they definitely do. This thread is for All-in-one guidebooks. The Math OG and Verbal OG are listed in the Math and Verbal threads - see the links at the top of the first post (which tells me I should emphasize them)

best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html

AND

best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 219 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
 Q29  V35 GMAT 2: 710  Q46  V41
Send PM
RE: Kaplan GMAT 2009 Premier Program w CD-ROM

I just read a lot of negative comments on this book. Is it correct that Kaplan GMAT 2009 Premier Program has numerous errors in the math section?

Thanks!
Steve
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
enfinity wrote:
RE: Kaplan GMAT 2009 Premier Program w CD-ROM
Is it correct that Kaplan GMAT 2009 Premier Program has numerous errors in the math section?

These books are made by humans. Humans make errors. This is true for this book as well as for many other books. But when, you reach the level when you can easily see those errors - means you're getting good :wink: Several errors for the majority of people will not decrease the value of the whole book. I like the point by mousymouse. Much depends on what your need.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
typhoidX wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this:

Is there a system of book sharing/trading established in this forum, where members can notify each other of which GMAT books they have available (& are willing to sell/trade)? Is there a thread for this somewhere? Or is this against forum rules?

You can post in the Buy/Sell/Do forum, but there is not a ton of traffic down there. Not against the rules unless you are trading something you are not supposed to.
buy-sell-do-4/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Has anyone used the McGraw-Hill's GMAT 2009 edition (or maybe an older but recent edition)?
If so, what are your general opinions about it?
In your opinion, how does it stack up against the other more popular prep material (i.e. OGs, Manhattan, Kaplan, etc)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007159 ... 0071598448

If there is an existing link somewhere discussing this book already, please give me a link. Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think the Amazon reviewers have given a rather loud and clear message: STAY AWAY

Quote:
THIS BOOK IS FILLED WITH ERRORS! Of course it has a few misspelled words here and there but beyond that it has errors that may affect a reader's understanding of mathematical principles. There are problems that have incorrect numbers in them and thus the correct answer is not an answer choice and the book's answer defies the mathematical principle that is being tested on the question itself!! There are even errors in the teaching section that could, and I presume will, misinform a reader so much so that if they do not know the correct procedure/principle from past mathematical knowledge; they will go on performing this type of problem in an incorrect way in future applications.

This product is meant to enrich the reader and provide him/her with a good understanding of what will be on the GMAT. Instead it misinforms and misrepresents the very principles and problems that will be on the test. This book is a HUGE waste of money and time. I have been taken advantage of by a conglomerate that should produce a quality product and not one that screams incompetence. The amount of unprofessionalism displayed within the pages of this book is shocking.

AND

Quote:

As the other person mentioned, this book is horrible. On page 85, it states that a "negative x negative = negative." Yeah, let's work on the basic concepts of math here... 7 pages later, on Page 92, 7 - 2 = 2. Wow!

I'm supposed to take the GMAT in 2 days, I just now discovered that I have the worst possible book. This book is AMAZING at building confidence (please pick up on my sarcasm). Another example is that the last practice test I took (yesterday) I got a 34/37 on the quantitative and a 34/41 on the verbal. Today when I took the practice test provided by GMAC I got a 27/37 and a 31/41 on the verbal. Math is by far my strongest subject, and I have continually improved my scores on the practice tests included with this book. But, as soon as I started taking the GMAC practice test I felt like I was in over my head because there was a significant number of questions that weren't even covered in this book (I'm looking at it now). Not to mention the difficulty of the questions was much harder than the ones on the McGraw-Hill practice CD.

Depending on how the test goes on Friday I might be writing/calling/harassing McGraw-Hill to refund my money for the book and for the test as it seems to have completely mislead me.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS BOOK!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got the Kaplan 2009 Premier Edition today and (fortunately) cannot agree with the Amazon reviewers.... Seems pretty exaggerated to me. For instance, page 85 is the verbal section of the book so no such thing as negative x negative = negative.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
enfinity wrote:
I got the Kaplan 2009 Premier Edition today and (fortunately) cannot agree with the Amazon reviewers.... Seems pretty exaggerated to me. For instance, page 85 is the verbal section of the book so no such thing as negative x negative = negative.

Kaplan has much higher quality books - you are right.

However, the discussion is about McGraw Hill's 2009 GMAT Book, not Kaplan.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ha, sorry! but Kaplan also got horrible reviews on Amazon (for no reasons IMHO).
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
enfinity wrote:
ha, sorry! but Kaplan also got horrible reviews on Amazon (for no reasons IMHO).

I agree and that's why it is listed as #2 book on this list. I am not sure what the reviewers were expecting.
It is an all-in-one book for $35 bucks with 6! practice tests - best value i can think of. Is it enough to get 750? of course not - you do need the workbooks for more in-depth review, but I think 650-700 is doable fairly comfortably.

The main reason that I have seen Kaplan blasted over the years has been hard practice tests - test takers score 550 and that gets them depressed, and they think they did not learn anything. In reality, they would get 100 points more on the GMAT, but many are not aware of this discrepancy. Kaplan could improve its PR significantly if they fixed this little scoring glitch. I scored 640 on a Kaplan test a few days before getting 750 on the real thing.

You can take a look at the GMAT Score Estimator for correlation between the two.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
well despite of the fact that Kaplan Premier has not so good reviews on Amazon, by far it is the best One-In-All book available in the market that comes with 5+1 CATs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy and Leadership or International Business
Schools:IMD, ISB, Said, Judge
Send PM
Kudos
Guys,

I have a very basic qs about the new OG12, I just got it this week and took the 1st 5 diagnostic tests with 24 qs each in PS and DS and 17-18 qs each in RC, CR and SC. Now the guidance for the tests in OG is to take time to solve the problems as these tests are not timed !! Now I do understand that but still I am worried about the time I took and the score I got!
my timings and score from the translative score table given with the diagnostic test were as follows:

PS - score - above average
time taken - 50 mins
DS - score - excellent
time taken - 67 mins
CR - score - above average
time taken - 72 mins :-(
RC - score - above average
time taken - 48 mins :-(
SC - score - average
time taken - 84 mins :-((

I am really upset with the time I took for CR and SC, I won't say the qs were enormously difficult but a few were tricky and most of them very time consuming....are all the new beginers (have just started GMAT prep) finding these diagnostic tests like what i found or is it only me and everyone else is just finding it nice n easy?
Please let me know....

Cheers,
PC
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [2]
Send PM